Home Metal Detecting
Options

Looking at your finds is pretty exciting and ....

dicouraging at the same time. I haven't been out in over a year because I got tired of being skunked. Looking at all of the finds on this forum makes me want to get out there right now ......... but darn it, it gets old not finding anything decent after a while image

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what I did, that first year after I bought my 'tector. Got disgusted with gettin' skunked, and shoved it in the closet, where it sat for a year.

On a whim, I dug it out of there and dusted it off the following August (this was 1993), and took it out. It looked like I was gonna get skunked again. In fact, I was headed back to the car in disgust, when I turned up a nice 1899 Barber dime- my first coin from the 1800s.

That fired me up, and within the hour, I had another coin from the 1800s (1875 Indian cent), and another piece of silver (1941-D quarter). If I hadn't found that 1899 dime when I did... if I had actually made it to the car that afternoon... I might've quit for good. Who knows? Those finds showed me the possibilities, and proved to me that I could actually do it.

Nowadays, I might go through long dry spells and inactive periods, but I know I will always come back to the hobby, as long as I am physically able to walk and swing the coil.

That's why it's good to read the publications like Western & Eastern Treasures, or even better yet, frequent their Treasurenet Forums and this forum, among other places. I didn't have the Internet when I started detecting, but reading about other peoples' finds always fired me up and inspired me to get out and make some finds of my own, however humble.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Checking time on Board.
  • Options

<< <i>dicouraging at the same time. I haven't been out in over a year because I got tired of being skunked. Looking at all of the finds on this forum makes me want to get out there right now ......... but darn it, it gets old not finding anything decent after a while image >>

I don't get out nearly as much as I would like either. Like L M I almost gave up on the day I found an 1837 Canadian trade token not far from my house, but still I only just think about M D'ing most of the time. I'm still going to try the woods road leading into one of the oldest cemetaries around just to see if there is anything. Maybe just spent shotgun shells but at least my curiosity will have been satisfied.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    laserart....where in maine are you?.....central western, minot, hebron, paris, sumner, buckfield?......just curious
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Yup, west central, near Madison
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    I bought my present detector about 10 years ago, got discouraged and shelved it for about the same amount of time- would use occasionally here and there. Found this forum last year, read about the finds of others as you have done, and got ideas on places and techniques to use and couldn't wait for the snow to melt this spring! So far this year I have mainly used my 4" sniper coil I picked up last winter, don't know whether it or the amount of time I have spent detecting has paid off the most- but I have finally been pretty consistent on each outing and gotten alot of exercise (my knees are killing me!)- it has also made pinpointing and hunting in trashy areas alot better (bigger is not always better). Also met alot of people in parks and such and talked some detecting as well. Good luck- and get thinking-finding the right spot can make alot of difference on each outing (big shady trees and rocks next to swimming and fishing holes have paid off for me).