Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Options

Is it scuzzy to sell a giveaway?

This is just a hypothetical question. Say you win a giveaway and win a book, coin, or whatever. Are you being a jerk if you later sell it? What if you win a coin and later buy an upgrade? Or win a grading certificate and decide you don't have anything you want graded? My perspective is that it's your own property to do with as you please. No different from winning a car drawing at a mall and selling the car. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭
    I would say if you have duplicates. That is a tuffy.
  • Options
    I personally wouldn't. I would give it to someone else. image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    I don't like to sell things from giveaways, but sometimes you need the potential money for an even bigger purchase.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    it can be no gift if it has controls placed upon it
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not scuzzy, but it should be done discreetly, for the sake of good manners.

Once given, it is yours to do what you wish with. But if you sell it, it should be done discreetly, as a courtesy to the donor.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>I personally wouldn't. I would give it to someone else. image

-Amanda >>

I agree with Amanda on this one.
    There is nothing more powerful than the power of goodbye
  • Options

Dunno - nobody's ever given me anything image
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    No, to answer the question as posed. No, it's NOT scuzzy because it is the property of the winner of the giveaway and any # of factors can facilitate the sale of such items. The person may need the money. After all, things DO happen unexpectedly.
  • Options
    I would say NO,it is now your's do as you wish
    I have kept every item I have ever won ,except 1, I added that item in a "tag" .
    Now it is SCUZZY to win a Y.N GIVEAWAY ,FOR A FAMILY MEMBER or other child and later it ends up on ebay image
    Ebay Seller I.D
    the_northern_trading_company
    ace@airadv.net
    imageimage
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In no event is it scuzzy to sell your own property. I don't know anyones personal financial position or needs and it's none of my business.

Once I give smoething away, it's no longer mine. End of story.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your intention is to enter the giveaway and immediately flip it if you win, then I don't think that is cool.
    If you win it and down the road (days/weeks/years) you change your collecting habit or need the money, then I agree with LM and would say just be discrete.

If you win something here, then turn around and put it on the BST, you may find yourself never winning another giveaway here.
    If the money is that much to you, that is one thing, but if it isn't that big of deal (say, a 1968 mint set valued at $4), and you don't want/need it, why not just have a giveaway yourself?

Anything I have won goes to my son and I KNOW he won't sell it (for at least another 14+ years at the soonest). When I have giveaways, I am always happiest when the winner is someone who appreciates or needs the item...rather than just wanting free stuff to sell.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I have sold a givaway. I felt it could go to someone who better appreciated the coin. The coin was not in my collecting area. It was sold via Ebay. I did not sell it right away. This was months down the road.
  • Options
    a039a039 Posts: 1,546
    I have given several coins to YN and others. I think it is a burden on the person to have to keep the coin for the rest of their life's.

Its ok with me for them to do whatever they want with them, However immediately putting it on the BST might be bad form...image
  • Options

<< <i>Not scuzzy, but it should be done discreetly, for the sake of good manners.

Once given, it is yours to do what you wish with. But if you sell it, it should be done discreetly, as a courtesy to the donor. >>

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I personally wouldn't. I would give it to someone else. >>

Not only do I agree with Amanda, I've done just that. When I won a couple of giveaways and found that the prizes were duplicates of what I already owned, I gave thm to YN's.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    i have won a few giveaways here and if its something i don't want or intend to keep i ask that the person giving it away pick a yn of their choice to give it to. that way i never have to worry about the ethics of selling it.

• Options
    Agree
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Its only scuzzy if you entered the giveaway with the thought of selling it. And then I wouldn't give it a "10" scuzzy. If it bothers you in the least to sell it, go ahead and donate the proceeds to charity or buy another coin and have a giveaway.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've won give-aways here and still have the coins I won. A couple are dupes. One of them is a Morgan dollar I'll probably end up giving to my son for his first "Tooth Fairy" visit. Another is a rather nice 1955-D Washington Quarter [thanks lmv] that has spurred on an interest in that series.

Leo

oh...to answer the question...I don't think it's being a jerk to sell off a giveaway, but I do think it depends on how the sale is handled and how you conduct yourself afterwards. If you win a nice coin from this forum and then come here and brag about what a rip you got after selling it on ebay...well...
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

<< <i>Its only scuzzy if you entered the giveaway with the thought of selling it. And then I wouldn't give it a "10" scuzzy. If it bothers you in the least to sell it, go ahead and donate the proceeds to charity or buy another coin and have a giveaway. >>

This was not the case with me. Coin was sold many months later if not a year later.