Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1860-O Dime for my set....maybe.....what do you think......

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know it is just a nice good, but maybe it will do until my ship comes in. This date is hard to find and really moves up in price as the grade gets better.

Here is a pic. What do you think?

Jon

Comments

• Options
    Nice Coin.

"Only 2 things are certain
    Death and Taxes" ~~ Ben Franklin
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/mint-sets/1945-mint-set/publishedset/21067
    Knutson's 45' Set 2009 Winner
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    It's better than any 1860-O that I have image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Any idea as to what's happening at the date? Is that just odd toning?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a wear perspective I feel that's better than a nice good.
    Closer to VG. It should be worth closer to VG money. I sold a 73CC very similar to that and in hindsight undersold it.

Contrarily, I've never been overly infatuated with the 60-0 dime.
    I think much of its allure was based on low mintage and early misinformation back decades ago. It's still a much in demand coin but has not appreciated over the years like the other rare dates in the series. If I had to get one I'd consider a G-VG and save the money for other dates that have more potential in the F-XF range.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Roadrunner, you are probably right, but the 60-O doesn't come up for sale very often in any grade. Lately I see more 73 and 74 cc dimes than 60-O's. I don't know how many 60-O's there are, but you don't see them very often.

I'm likeing this 60-O more and more. Can't wait to get it in hand. But I have never had a problem with DLRC before.

Jon
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dimeman you may be right. Most of my experiences with 60-0's vs
    74-cc's came decades ago. Back then the 60-0 cost a ton of money while the 74-cc when available was little more. The tides have shifted. The higher prices have drawn out more of the CC's and possibly left the 60-0's to hide out. A frequency of appearance of study would bear this out. Your own experiences are a valuable input. From what you have stated you should be looking to get one, even a G-VG.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    I had both the 73 and 74-CC's and the 85-S and the 1804 and the 58-S and the 59-S and a 16-D in 62 and sold them off to pay some debts. Now it is going to cost a fortune to get them back.

Jon
  • Options
    Jon,

I like the look of that dime. I have to agree with roadrunner, that dime looks more like vg than g material. If you paid G money I think you got a great deal.

Zach
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Jon, Nice pick-up That 1860-o is a very tough date in any grade. If you fine another I'll purchase that one. Fred