Home Stamps Forum

A little help please

I have come in to a collection of old items and there are a lot of old post cards with stamps attached. Is there any value in used stamps attached to post cards, some even have the post mark across them. The average date is around 1908-1912. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• Groups of old stamps, like small boxes of old coins, seldom have anything rare. (That's why rare stuff is rare.)

Occasionally though, postcards from that era have some scarcer used coil stamps. Impossible of course to say without seeing them, but to again use a coin analogy, a small box of Mercury dimes saved by your grandmother doesn't often contain a 1916-D. Stamps are the same way.
    Michael Sherman
    Director of Numismatics
    PCGS
  • Chris,
    Actually anything is possible with knowledge. Here are some examples. In 2000 I frequented a lot of postcard shows. I bought a ratty box of old covers(stamped envelopes) for $40. I found the EDU (earliest documented use) of the stamp #266 on cover. This later sold at auction for around $2000. In the same box I also found the EDU for #279Bh. This sold for less due to condition and the small auction IMO. It still sold for around $500. Earliest known use dates are listed in the Scott catalog. Since that little box got me interested in looking for these dates I have about 13-14 dates still listed in the catalog. Many of these were accredited to Alan Burken although I am the one who discovered them. This is just one small area/specialty of collecting. The more you know about stamps the easier it is to find a possible treasure. Another example I bought a block of 4 imperforate (no holes around the edges) for $3. Well the dealer didn't notice that the gum had no breakers(ridges on the back gum) so it had sooth gum. Catalog value is $320. My point is you an find stuf where the STAMP may not be RARE but the envelope it is on , the cancel, destination,variations,etc.(called "postal history") CAN make the WHOLE item rare. Don't take stamps off their original mail piece until you know there is any reason to do so. Many times stamps still on cover are worth more although the amount varies. Take a look at a Scott Specialized Catalog for United States Stamps. You should easily be able to find one at your local library.
  • Thanks for the info, I am going to try to trade them or sell them to board members before they go on eBay. If you are interested let me know.
  • Do not trade or sell before you get more information. Shop around, you may have something good. Be positive.
    Visit my page: www.mimecanicapopular.com/filatelia.php Thanks

• Chris
    You might have more luck selling them to a postcard dealer than for the stamps on them. Postcard collecting is pretty popular for lots of people. I would check with a postcard dealer, depending on the age, subject and material, you may actually get more for them that way

Just FYI