Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Options

Does anybody want to do a tag with ONLY pcgs graded coins?

Forum members - comments pro and con?

How about only coins before 1964?

OK - flame me with comments!

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye

Comments

• Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Actually was thinking of this myself.....or at least PCGS & NGC coins.
    That way values are easier to identify.
    Next step would be to trade 1-for-1.......not 1 valuable coins for 10 common ones.
    Taggers could list cert # too.

Good idea IMO, needs some thinking this through.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    PCGS & NGC certified only?

I'm in
  • Options
    Would any other members be interested? image

claychaser, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but.....

Here is my thoughts........
    Someone packs a box with PCGS/NGC graded coins & posts the coins here, if someone is interested in a coin (or more) they request the package. Package is shipped out to them (ins w/deliver conf. of course). Coin(s) is/are replaced with a similar valued coin(s), 1 for 1, and the new list is posted. This continues (original sender is allowed to ask for the package if there is something there he/she wants) until the package is not wanted by any member after a week(?) of daily TTT's.

Then the package is sent back to the originator of the tag.

Any comments?
    Only bump is the members that would be interested because this would not be a 'limited' group, but since they are not obligated to get the 'package', members could sign up at any time knowing that it would take a day or 2 to be 'screened'.

• Options
    Thats a good idea... but reality wise... the original "issuer" so to speak, could never see any of his coins again (he has to be cool with this) and may see nothing in return for possibly months... depending on how long this goes on. I know there are some on here who have enough coins to start the box... but I of which am not one... being as I only have 4 PCGS graded coins, and 3 arent leaving without upgrades.
  • Options
    Also, I dont think anyone who has never been in a swap or tag before should be allowed... no questions asked. It is easy for someone to make up stuff in order to get ahold of the box and never be seen again... or have any idea who they REALLY are.
  • Options
    I think it would be a cool idea and would certainly be interested..... as in pre1964 it would not matter much to me as there is some very nice graded "modern junk" I think a dollar range would be more effective.

cheers
    There is nothing more powerful than the power of goodbye
  • Options
    the original "issuer" so to speak, could never see any of his coins again (he has to be cool with this) and may see nothing in return for possibly months...

That's why I added, "....(original sender is allowed to ask for the package if there is something there he/she wants)..."

As far as who would be allowed, just in swaps, there would be a screening process for newbies.
    I think, for the most part, we know who's who around here.
    Maybe all participants would have to have another member vouch for them? Those that have swapped/tagged successfully before would have a partner vouch for them.

Anyway, would this be something others would be interested in?
  • Options
    I would be interested... ESPICIALLY if there are decent War Nickels involved... "hint hint"
  • Options
    I'm interested in this. Pretty much all I have is PCGS slabs.
    I've been in 1 swap with Boom and he has all my info. I swapped with Shane (Millertime).
    What kind of dollar amount you looking for, to start the box?
    How do you figure dollar amount? I go by PCGS & Coin World Price guides, I try to find a
    dollar amount between the 2 (basically retail).
    Thanks John

I check my emails in the mornings as I work nights 7pm-7am image
    "Only 2 things are certain
    Death and Taxes" ~~ Ben Franklin
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/mint-sets/1945-mint-set/publishedset/21067
    Knutson's 45' Set 2009 Winner
  • Options
    ESPICIALLY if there are decent War Nickels involved... "hint hint"
    Like MS 65's
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/mint-sets/1945-mint-set/publishedset/21067
  • Options
    John,

Do you want to take it from here?
    I wouldn't mind starting it if you don't.

Augie
  • Options
    Doesn't matter too me. Really it's your hi-jacking image. I just thought maybe the group needed
    a push start, but you've got it covered.
    I have 10 coins in PCGS slabs ear-marked for the next one.
    I'd still like to be in yours. I can send info if needed.

John
  • Options
    Sorry, my bad! image
    Meant John-claychaser, not John-headsplitter2. image
  • Options
    Meant John-claychaser, not John-headsplitter2

Too many John's. image

I'll go by JD as my profile states. image

Edited to add my real name John D. Knutson, but shortened to JD, as in my family I'm John the 4th.
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    How would we handle this:

Member takes out coin valued at $100, puts in one valued at $80.

-Put in some nice raw coins?
    -Put in a "coffin" - a coin that was sent in for a higher grade, comes back at a grade not worth slabbing?
    -Or?

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    What I am trying to avoid is sending out a box of classics (say, pre 1955) and getting back a box of Kennedys, late date Lincolns, SBA's, Ikes, etc.

• Options
    Great ideas from headsplitter.

• Options
    What I am trying to avoid is sending out a box of classics (say, pre 1955) and getting back a box of Kennedys, late date Lincolns, SBA's, Ikes, etc.

IMO, that's part of the 'problem' with the way tags are conducted right now.

The person starting the tag puts in nice coins to get it started, but with each member there is a possibilty that 1 good coin is taken & 10 ok coins replace it. This is well within the rules, I did it myself (I did feel a little bad; but V-Nickels are better than other common coins I could have put in), but by the time the package gets to the member who started the tag there is a possibilty that a lot of common coins are in there.

Let me see if I can answer some of the other questions....

Member takes out coin valued at $100, puts in one valued at $80.
    If the rule is 1-for-1, this would not be allowed.......if we say the tag can be up to 2-for 1, then a $20 coin needs to be added.

-Put in some nice raw coins?
    NO RAW COINS ALLOWED

-Put in a "coffin" - a coin that was sent in for a higher grade, comes back at a grade not worth slabbing?
    As long as the coin is in a PCGS (or NGC?) it will be accepted.....if it is a 'dog' in a decent grade, that should be disclosed.
    Honesty is paramount.

-Or?
    Hopefully there would be no '?'

Since I have been thinking about this for a while I will start an invitation for a tag with PCGS/NGC only coin by tonight.
  • Options

<< <i>ESPICIALLY if there are decent War Nickels involved... "hint hint"
    Like MS 65's >>

Really I was thinking 66FS or higher... lol. Many of them can still be had for less then $100.
  • Options
    See aija's thread - he's got the right idea here!