Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Insane prices paid for improving Weighted GPA!

Folks, from the auction pictures, many of those coins that fetched outrageous money were understruck and overgraded! Lookout Frank, your quality set is in jeopardy! image That is if my suspisions about Krispytoast are correct. I'm starting to like that guy since he's started to rag about his own coins in his collection. Congratulations to the winners. Insane prices!
And to think that I almost sold my 53-S for less than that 50-D! image

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Comments

• Holy cow! That 50-d was that much? Most of the mintage was saved, it's not a key date, it's the easiest date. I was the underbidder on the ms67 53-d. I really really wanted that coin. image Oh well.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy that 53-D is pretty. I like it too. That is the type of coins I would buy if I collected Jeffs.

The 50-D went for stupid money because of the fullsteps!!!!!!!!

Jon
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's interesting how a few of these coins were from the Omaha Hoard. Not to long ago Heritage had like 2000 of them Omaha's up for sale.........spent hours searching through them...........didn't see a thing I can use. I did suspect someone had cherrypicked them. The air went out of my enthusiasm when I noticed that NGC was grading this hoard as well, then ANACS but I like ANACS! It was also interesting that NGC wasn't passing MS67's out as usual. Someone had to tell them to keep their grading consistent with PCGS and ANACS! DOH!

Leo

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leo, I too looked at a lot of Omaha bank hoard nickels in NGC holders. The late 50's
    and early 60's were horrible and graded NGC MS65 and 66. NGC did themselves no
    favors by grading these coins much too high. Dealers are saying Jeffersons are hot,
    and by the prices they are fetching, good time to be a Jeff collector!
  • leothelyon and others: What makes you think that these prices were paid for "improving Weighted GPA?" Maybe the buyers just loved the looks on them thar coins!

I know the effect on my set's weighted GPA of an addition/upgrade only AFTER I add the coin. So I'm buying the coin, and not the effect on GPA.

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!

<< <i>What makes you think that these prices were paid for "improving Weighted GPA?" Maybe the buyers just loved the looks on them thar coins! >>

Because there's a correlation between X amount of dollars and low pop numbers.

Leo

• from what little i've seen of the pcgs omaha bank hoard, most were overgraded.

<< <i>

<< <i>What makes you think that these prices were paid for "improving Weighted GPA?" Maybe the buyers just loved the looks on them thar coins! >>

Because there's a correlation between X amount of dollars and low pop numbers.

Leo >>

I also wanted to add;
    I'm certain if any of those coins would had upgraded the quality of any of those top registry sets, they would of had a hand in the bidding wars. Will have to wait and see if anyone actually did just that.........upgraded the quality of their collections!

Leo