Home Metal Detecting
Options

Metal detecting for begginers?

I've thought about doing this for years now i have the time. If i wanted to get started whats a good model to buy oh for around 500 dollars or so . Something easy for a begginer. And any tips for a begginer?

Comments

• Options
    PghpetePghpete Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    Model to buy? There's so many, and all of the major companies sell decent ones at that price. IMHO, I'm a Garrett man, but I'd sure like to buy a White's when able. Others like Bounty Hunter and Fisher, and so many others. I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions. As to other advice. Practice, practice, practice. Read the manual, then read it again. DO NOT get discouraged if/when you don't find anything or all you seem to find is trash.

Soon you'll start developing a "metal detector's eye" where you'll begin to notice old houses/buildings, or a clump of trees in the middle of no where (there was probably a house there), or you'll start contacting old friends and relatives and ask them if you can come and search their yard.

Heck, join a local club and accompany them on their monthly hunts.

It's fun! Welcome!
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    I've heard the Garrett Ace models are pretty good detectors for the money and are somewhere around $250 or so. Also heard many good things about White's, but never owned one. I have an older model Garrett GTAX1000 and the service from Garrett is still great - had to replace a handle grip this year and sent it to me without even paying them first.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Buy the best deteto you can afford and you won't be disappointed,
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    Stick to one of the big brands. You will get the best bang for your buck. Whites, Minelab, Tesoro are the 3 I would stick with. Think about what type of sites you want to hunt and get the detector & coils for the job. Do losts of research and read the manuals before you buy them. Most are on-line now. I myself use the Whites MXT.
  • Options
    I bought my Garrett Ace 250 for $212. I set it to coins, and went out. After an hour or so, I could mostly distinguish trash from coins... and was pulling up a coin every time I decided to dig. I know I have a lot to learn, and probably passed up a lot... but it was basically "plug and play" as many computer guys would say.