Home Stamps Forum

KENMORE'S fraud or gimmick?

A full page advertising at Linn's, Sept.11, 2006, page 51. KENMORE STAMP CO. is offering Cuban Used Stamps but, what they show are CTO. Is this a fraud or a gimmick? Because they know very well that CTO and Used are a big different. Used stamps are collectibles. CTO are trash.
Visit my page: www.mimecanicapopular.com/filatelia.php Thanks

Comments

• Many of the large mail-order outfits sell used lots that contain CTOs. Sometimes in their small-print they will make mention of this. I don't think this is fraud as technically they have been used; just not postally used. If they mentioned postally-used Cuban material and then you get CTOs, then that would probably be fraud.
  • Thanks dougwtx for your reply. They should say CTO because they only send CTO. I"m a 50 or more years collector, APS Life-Ambassador Member, Ex-Journalist for Popular Mechanics in Spanish philatelic section for more than 23 years, etc. etc. CTO are trash. Used are collectibles. We have to protect new collectors and our hobby.
  • whats CTO?
  • CTO = cancelled to order.

Some vendor or PO cancelled the stamps for revenue generating purposes. These usually have their gum and are almost considered worthless by collectors; although many topical collections will contain them as its almost impossible to get a postally used or mint specimen on some issues.
  • CTO means Cancelled To Order. At the printer, not at Post Office, after they finish to print the stamp the printer also prints the cancellation. Those CTO stamps were never at the Post Office, never used as postage. If you go to a Stamp Exhibition they do not allow you to exhibit CTO stamps. I do give this information to benefit the hobby. Do not collect CTO.