Home Metal Detecting

Got Silver Again- this time a beauty! More Campground finds..

Another nice day and for Mondays I usully take a couple hours in the later afternoon and search pennie rolls from bank. so no time for metal detecting after work is done. Went to the bank at noon and picked up my $20 worth to search, didn't look at them until I was out in car- they gave me 40 fresh bank wrapped rolls of BU 2006's, not much to search there. So decided to hit the river park later since I had my metal dectector with me in trunk, guess what- grass mowing day and the construction crew was still working at the new building site adjacent to it, so went plan B, back to the campground I got silvered at the other day as it was on the way home anyways. Wasn't there long before I dug a 1918 wheatie, in much better shape than the two I found in the area the other day. then within a foot or so I found this beauty:

imageimage

I saw the reverse first and figured it was going to be a 1940's by the detail, then woa- 1920 ! Thing must have been dropped shortly after entering circulation, the 1918 wheatie was also in good shape- probaby XF or better:

The dime I would say AU with nearly FSB. I am guessing some poor fisherman lost his breakfast or lunch money back then. If only it had been one year newer ! Then instead of a $10 coin it would be a $900 coin, oh well, not that lucky. Ended the short trip with the lot below, not much else exciting, found alot more sinkers as well of all types. The 99 Canada quarter is kinda cool as well. Will probably wash the dime down with some MS70 and replace the one in my Dansco album with it, its in much shape than the one I have now. Won't probably have a chance to get back to the river park now until the weekend, but the last week of dectecting has probably been my best ever.

Comments

• Good work!

That is an awesome Merc. for sure!
    Of the 12 or so Mercs I've dug, none have details that nice.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, congrats!! image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Very sweet older Merc. I've found only one 1920's Merc. Even 1940's Mercs I found do not look that nice. Great work.
  • Nice dime.
    You might want to consider a less abrasive cleaning method however. It's got quite a few scratches that'll reduce the value.
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Actually photo was taken just after- only thing I had done was wipe the dirt off with my fingers- nothing else. No scrapes or scratches were left on coin by me that I could tell- I think the dirt was just so dry it made it look like it in photo- remember this coin spent probably 80 years in the ground near the waterfront- to have survived at all in this shape is a miracle- the two wheats from same campground ( a 1917 and 1951) I found a few days before look terrible. And it survived being hit by my digging tool as well image . The reverse was the most covered in dirt when removed- I had to rub more dirt off of it than the obverse-its amazing how silver stays so nice in the ground compared to the clad coins.I washed the coin with some MS70 and it came out looking great, already in my dansco book- I don't sell coins I find metal detecting- its my enjoyment and memories that are priceless image - and you can't put a value on that!
  • actually wiping with your fingers likely caused most of those scratches, thus killing the value. NEVER.. Wipe a silver find with anything, if you want to maintain value. rinse with water and maybe, if you know what you are doing dip the coin. NEVER >>> NEVER take the urge to wipe down a silver coin in the field. If you are concerned with value. I know of many detectorists that baking soda their finds because they don't like the "look" of dug coins. I tell them they are costing themselved 50% of their value, but they don't listen. I am talking seated and bust coins here. NEVER NEver wipe down a coin.

I understand not selling as I don't either, but you should be responsible to your family(or your retirement) and protect the value of what you find. Not knocking you, just don't want to see you make some of the same mistakes others have.
  • Scratches can and will show up even if you don't wipe the dirt from the coin faces. The heaving action of freezing and thawing of the ground can produce many of the scratches seen on silver.
    imageimage
  • I have found many a silver coin. That is not ground action on his coin. The scratches are from the wipe.
  • I agree IHM. I was just stating that scratches can occur without every wiping the coin. I wondered about this in the past and took care to retrieve a few silvers without wiping them. All of them showed similar scratching but not quite to the extent of Kevin's Merc.
    imageimage
  • Very nice Merc.!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Well decided to swing by the park tonight after supper (silver fever I guess),spent a couple hours before the sun went down - no silver, no wheats- I guess today wasn't my lucky day (for metal detecting)- but it was lucky - I found out I won a 50/50 draw from last week for over $300 this morning in the paper - just have to find out where the money is. Gathered up another $2.76 in change plus 1 more Canadian penny. Oldest coins were 2 59 memorials- got both mints (p/d) and a 65 quarter. Only 1 sinker today but I did get one dog tag- milkbone image . Moved away from the shoreline a little further- pretty much had it all worked over anyways. Side note: I also found alot of my sod plugs pulled out from yesterday- I think someone was trying to steal my nuts !