Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

OT: Can anyone suggest a source for ancient artifacts?

At my wife's prodding I have become interested in ancient artifacts. I would like examples from Sumeria, Babylonia, Assyria, Egypt, Judaea et cetera. I do not know a lot about this field, so I need a dealer who I can trust. If anyone can suggest someone I would be very thankful.
If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
1987-C Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Comments

• CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Mark Reid at the Time Machine is a standup guy with reasonable prices.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Be careful! There are laws surrounding the purchasing of ancient artifacts.

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Hello Aethelred,

I agree with Josh on Mark Reid at Time Machine - I picked up some fantastic bear artifacts from him. I also acquired some great bear artifacts from Harlan Berk as well.

Other dealers from whom I've bought various artifacts would be some Greek glassware from Nemesis and a killer Anubis scarab from Lodge Antiquities

--Beast
    Research Site

Ancients, US and World Stores

Zach Beasley, member of ACCG, ANA, ANS and co-author of the award-winning column "The Internet Connection" in the Celator Magazine for ancient coins.
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for the advice. If anyone else has any imput, please feel free to give it. Are there any books on ancient artifacts?

I would also add that if anyone knows of a dealer or dealers to stay away from I'd love to know.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭
    There is an ancient artifact who has over 10,000 posts here and is allergic to fungicide. image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you might consider CNG... I am not really sure what they have , but I would visit their website

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• I recommend Harlan J Berk in downtown Chicago as a reputable source of world antiquities. They have an online fixed price list as well as regular auction sales. Knowlegable and helpful staff.

www.harlanjberk.com
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I recommend Harlan J Berk in downtown Chicago as a reputable source of world antiquities. They have an online fixed price list as well as regular auction sales. Knowlegable and helpful staff.

www.harlanjberk.com >>

Was just going to recommend them. Link to their antiquities section is here.

Their buy or bid sales also tend to have a lot of antiquities...
  • newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Be careful! There are laws surrounding the purchasing of ancient artifacts.

-Amanda >>

I second that, especially as it relates to artifacts from Iraq, such as Sumerian and Babylonian. Because of all the looting, the Customs people assume anything being sold is looted unless proven otherwise. Under the law, anything that's found to be looted must be returned, and if you're the last buyer, you're the one who loses out, regardless of whether you had a hand in illegally importing it.
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There is an ancient artifact who has over 10,000 posts here and is allergic to fungicide. image >>

Who would want to collect junk like that?image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you checked to see what LordM has dug up recently. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • xfacts.com run by Jason Martell ,a UFO expert, has a lot of info on Sumerian artifacts. He may also have some artifacts for sale. I know he has books about the artifacts.