Home Stamps Forum
Options

Airmail Stamps

Some airmails I'm thinking of having graded. image

I know the C19 is not as centered as it should be but it does have that great airplane cancel. Another drawback is they have all been hinged.

Comments

• Options
    Heck, I'd grade them anyway. I've never seen the airplane cancel before. How common is it?

Jerry
  • Options
    I've never seen it before either so I don't know. I thought I'd try the economy. Not slabbed or anything. I've got a few other airmails that look good. that I can send it has to be a minimum of 10 stamps with economy.
  • Options
    I assume you are not joking.These will have low to average grades (F-70 to VF-80) The airplane cancel is neat but common, kinda like a steel WWII penny, neat but not valuable. None of the stamps are well centered even "for the issue".
    The minimum price for economy is
    $18.00 EACH X min of 10 stamps =$180.00. + $12.00 or more Registered TO BE SHIPPED BACK TO YOU after grading as required by PSE + your cost to ship TO them at the getgo. So you are talking at least $200 smackers. The stamps you have shown will still be worth .10 to .25 cents,
    ( or whatever the catalog value is , if in VF) they will just have certs.
    I usually "save up" some quality stamps to submit and submit as many as I can to save on cumulative costs. I may slowly build up a little cache of stamps of 10 or more for as long as 6 months. This gives me time to review them OVER and OVER for grade-lowering flaws. I am always surprised when I find a flaw on a stamp that I have looked at 6 or 7 times. I have a 219 that is the most lightly canceled well centered specimen I have ever seen. It has what MIGHT be a 1/4 to 1/2 MM tear in one perf hole. This is what drives me nuts. When do slight separations in the paper fibers go to being an actual tear? It makes it tough to pay at least $18.00+ a stamp when it is just possible to find some sort of flaw on any stamp. Don't get me wrong I love PSE and graded stamps, I just wish I was psychic so I knew what stamps would get the best grade. I personally had to take a new (much lower paying job) building medical devices. I told them my dream job would be to grade stamps. Wow you wanna talk about having to look at thngs closely, it's a tough job that requires good eyes and manual dexterity. Anyway laceupboots, if you want to submit these stamps for your own pleasure , go for it, but if you expect them to be worth a substantial amount , I would save my money.
  • Options
    Thanks edueku I know how much it cost to have them graded. When I was 14 and started collecting it was airmails that I started with. The Airplanes and eagles
    I guess. I know these are not valuable stamps nor will grading make them more valuable. I had thought they would be something for my kids and grandkids to have when I die. (many many years from now) I think the C23 is well centered and I think that 70 or 80 is a compliment. I'm not rushing into anything,I have some National Parks that might be a better choice or some covers. I have several collections I have purchased over the years (I'm a long way from 14 now) that I wll go through. I just haven't gone through all of them yet. I will post them to the forum and the members like yourself and others can give me your opnion, it's what the forum is for. What a good idea to have a stash I will try that too.