Home Metal Detecting

A couple of recent digs

ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Been yeti for a while, with limited time for detecting. And on the occasions I've been out, I've mainly focused on cleaning the ground of random junk.. image
Finds have been hard earned indeed..

The following finds are from around some old stables, nowadays being used by a riding school.
(pictures were taken the next day with better light)

A heavily trafficked highway now runs next to them, and I was detecting the area on top of the banks leading down to the highway below.

It was late evening and nobody was around, although I could feel the stare of one of the horses inside, watching me through a small window in the tiled wall.
In the dark, the horse's silhouette was rather spooky, and I didn't notice it at first. It could have scared me big time by letting out a "prfffrrt!" behind the back of an unsuspecting Zot image

Tons of signals, but almost all were in the iron range, and those that weren't were shallow ones bouncing around in the trash range. I wasn't getting any good signals at all, and all I had dug was two screwcaps.
I was running out of light, but got one last dig-worthy signal, bouncing around somewhat in the screwcap range.

I recovered this Russian double headed eagle button image
Buttons are among by favorite finds image

I found the button in front of these bushes.

Inspired by this find, I went back the next day. Same procedure as the day before: a few screwcaps and nothing else.
I decided to try my luck a bit further away. I climbed up on some nearby rocks creating a plateau that looked like a nice place to hang around in the summer. There was hardly any soil here, just an inch or two of moss partly covering the rocks.
I got a few more screwcaps..

I was almost done, making my last sweeps along the edge of the rocks when I got a very compact screwcap signal - just a nice short blip. I cut a "plug" of moss and saw a tiny coin (can you see it there, in the middle of the picture?)

By the size of it, I thought it was a 1 penni coin, from the 60's most likely (although the signal was very unusual to be one of these). When I picked it up I was shocked to see the insignia of Tsar Alexander II on the obverse.
It was a 1 penni alright, and from the 60's too - but I got the century wrong.

Finnish 1 Penni, 1869

A small and fragile coin that doesn't look like much, but these early Alexander II 1 penni's with dotted border (also being the first type of Finnish Grand Duchy decimal coinage) are rather tough coins and have some value in all grades.
It's also a new accomplishment for my dug type set. image

This was the only coin I found on my two outings to this site, so it just shows that it's always worth trying, you never know... Two hunts, a total of two non-trash targets, and in both cases at the very last moment.
A single target can turn a lousy hunt into a good one image

After a couple of really meager hunts I was so coin starved that I had to make a quick detour to a nearby beach.
The gold was hiding image, but the trip was not a total loss as I got some silver image

Thanks for looking!
Happy hunting!

-Z
Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Great story with some neat finds for your patience.

You never know if those unusual places to detect will reveal trash or treasure.
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Nice finds and story Zot!
    If I didn't know better, I'd swear those landscape shots were taken at sites in New Hampshire.
  • Great story and AWESOME finds Zot! I can't wait untill I can afford a detector that can actually find things! image
  • Great post Zot!

The button is fantastic!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Zot often manages to find nice stuff. Great work.
  • Nice find's Zot,that coin look's real nice.

The horse on the other hand look's a little crazedimageand may be a special attack horseimageHH,Tom
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In the dark, the horse's silhouette was rather spooky, and I didn't notice it at first. It could have scared me big time by letting out a "prfffrrt!" behind the back of an unsuspecting Zot >>

As long as the "prfffrrt!" comes outta the front end of the horse, you're okay. image

Actually, I was once walking down a country road at night (car had broken down), and I was walking alongside a fenced-in pasture, which was lit only by hundreds of fireflies. Suddenly, a horse came up to the fence, right behind me, and did just that... "prfffrrt!"

I practically jumped out of my shoes. Nearly wet myself. imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.