Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Lot 1132 1942-D 5C D Over Horizontal D MS65 PCGS

1942-D 5C D Over Horizontal D MS65 PCGS.

I can imagine that there are a few out there licking their chops, wanting to throw this into their registry sets but a MS65? I think not! I was told awhile back around the Fun show in Florida someone had won a coin of this nature, walked it over to the PCGS table and got it upgraded. Folks, this is not a fully struck example and there are many areas of die erosion on this coin. IMO it grade MS64 at best. Right now, the bidding is probably consistent for it's low quality as a true gem example would fetch 30 grand easy!. But oh, how well do we all know how some folfs think it's far better to raise their weighted GPA than improve the overall quality of their collections! image

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Comments

• Options
    Leo

Here is another 42 D/D - PCGS MS65 - with 6 steps but with a small nick in two steps preventing a FS designation. What do you think?

Frank

(The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frank

Any honest collector would have and will tell you that you have the most desireable example in this variety to own. Unless someone can substantiate another coin of equal or better quality. Since no-one can, they'll continue to hide behind the PCGS opinions on the labels they've assembled.

Lot 1128 1941 MS67 If anyone wants to add a coin that easily shows die erosion in the hair to their registry set for over 3 grand, is buying it solely for their weighted GPA! Of course they could end up returning it but why bid on something in this state quality when the problem can clearly be seen in the picture.

Lot 1158 1949-D MS67 This coin may be lustrous and colorful but the strike is not there at all. If we look at our coins for the artistry of our American heritage in the design, this one fails to show that!

Leo

• Options
    Has anyone notice the mistake on this one? 1959-D

Leo

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like the 1941, but I really like the 1949-D. If I collected Jeffs that is the look I would be after, but NOT at that price. That's a $100 coin to me.

Jon
  • Options

<< <i>I don't like the 1941, but I really like the 1949-D. If I collected Jeffs that is the look I would be after, but NOT at that price. That's a $100 coin to me.

Jon >>

1942-D 5C MS67 Here's another coin that suffered strike problems. Weak hair detail and die erosion can easily be seen in the pics provided but yet has found it's way into another MS67 holder. Those coins could have found their ways into a YN's collection had they been correctly graded. But instead, they're being sold for registry points and to offset the integrity of the competition with the registry.

Leo

• Options
    There's nothing like a side by side comparison of two coins in respect to their strike, grade and eye appeal.
    imageimage
    In the first pic I have outlined the problem areas of die erosion and weak hair details. The second coin is from my collection and it's obviously a much better representaion of a MS67 example!

Leo

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS called THAT Full Steps!??? image

Yet another example of why I am such negative poop when it comes to any coin series that has a 'strike superlative' designation.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>PCGS called THAT Full Steps!??? image

Yet another example of why I am such negative poop when it comes to any coin series that has a 'strike superlative' designation. >>

Yet, it's still disappointing! They write and rewrite the rules (grading standards) but continue to ignore them. I can understand giving an understruck coin a MS65 grade, maybe a MS66 but a MS67??? Where's the integrity to collecting these coins? It ceases to amaze me anymore, something else is happening here and it's not for the serious collectors whatsoever! The mistakes that were made in grading those coins MS67 are too obvious, they really need to be pulled. But then again, since there are collectors out there with less sense than the more knowledgeable collectors then let them buy, live and learn the hard way.

Leo

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    High bid at the close of internet bidding was $12,000. Floor session is Thursday afternoon.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    42 D/D MS65 just closed bidding at 14,950 at the Long Beach Show. image
    Did I mention that I recently "cherrypicked" at a local show an MS64 example? I'm still grinning
    about it. And yes, it is in a PCGS holder! Someone clue me in on how to post to the message boards
    and I'll try. B. Shagnasty
  • Options

<< <i>42 D/D MS65 just closed bidding at 14,950 at the Long Beach Show. image
    Did I mention that I recently "cherrypicked" at a local show an MS64 example? I'm still grinning
    about it. And yes, it is in a PCGS holder! Someone clue me in on how to post to the message boards
    and I'll try. B. Shagnasty >>

BS, open your PM function in your profile!

• Options
    Leo, it's done!
  • Options

<< <i>Leo, it's done! >>

Then where's your little padlock icon?

Leo

• Options
    Leo, Didn't update profile at bottom of page. Ok now.