Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

POLL - How long should a Registry Set Owner wait to remove a coin that has been sold?

This relates to a recent experience

----- Sept. 16, 2006
Edited to add the word POLL to the subject
cho10

Collecting since the 1980's
Morgan Dollars Circ. Strikes
- Basic Set - Varieties - Prooflike Basic Set - Date Set
- Carson City - Early S Mint Short Set - Mintmark Type Set
Morgan Dollars Proof
- Basic Set - Varieties
Peace Circ.

Comments

• Options
    Lots of different opinions so far but no responses so I will post my opinion here. I think you do not have to remove it until The coin has been sold, exatly when after it has been sold it a matter of debate still for me. If you haven't been paid yet for the coin, I beleve you still own it rightfully and can register it wherever you wish, JMO.

Zach
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pull the @#$%^^&& coin once you know your going to sell it! What difference does it make to leave it listed other than ego satisfaction. I hate to see whole sets going to auction and the $%^& thing lingers like a bad meal until it’s in the new owners hands.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

<< <i>Pull the @#$%^^&amp;& coin once you know your going to sell it! What difference does it make to leave it listed other than ego satisfaction. I hate to see whole sets going to auction and the $%^& thing lingers like a bad meal until it’s in the new owners hands.

WS >>

True but what if it doesn't sell due to a reserve or something of the like? I do agree that it is does stink when a coin is registered still under someone else, but a simple email to PCGS takes care of it. They are actually quite good a getting this done quickly!
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once I have agreed to sell the coin I pull it. I usually have already replaced it anyway or it wouldn't be for sale.

Jon
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pull the @#$%^^&amp;& coin once you know your going to sell it! >>

If the coin is being sold via public auction, that is not a good idea. It should remain in the set until it's actually sold in order to thwart the cert number thieves.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Russ when the sale is confirmed, before that and someone just might steal the cert. number.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with Russ when the sale is confirmed, before that and someone just might steal the cert. number. >>

What benefit will somebody get from stealing a cert. number?
    It should be short termed at best.
    cho10

Morgan Dollars Proof
    - Basic Set - Varieties
    Peace Circ.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What benefit will somebody get from stealing a cert. number? >>

No real benefit, of course. But, it happens all to frequently. Then the new owner has to go through the hassle of contacting PCGS and proving they now own the coin.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What benefit will somebody get from stealing a cert. number? >>

No real benefit, of course. But, it happens all to frequently. Then the new owner has to go through the hassle of contacting PCGS and proving they now own the coin.

Russ, NCNE >>

Although there seems like no real benefit there actually could be in some cases. For example, say I was building a mint set for a particular year and was tied with someone, I could borrow the cert number for a couple of weeks long enough to get the #1 finest set and then remove the rogue cert number. I would be tied for first again, but I would now have the #1 finest of all time. Now imagine this but with multiple coins. For modern mint sets there is that chance of happening.

Zach
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    I don't sell coins that are part of one of my registry sets, so my answer is before putting the coin up for sale!
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    <<I agree with Russ when the sale is confirmed, before that and someone just might steal the cert. number.>>

Do you think there is alot of cert # thieves around here. I guess I never thought about that.
    Why buy the coins when you can just steal the cert #'s for the coins you wnat in your registry off the auction sites.
    I realy don't think this would work to well it would be to easy for someone to catch on when you keep being asked to remove cert #'s from your registry sets. Just a tiny background check on the coin and they would know you didn't own it and repeated occurances of this would cause ownership of all your registry coins to be in question.
  • Options

<< <i><> Do you think there is alot of cert # thieves around here. I guess I never thought about that. Why buy the coins when you can just steal the cert #'s for the coins you wnat in your registry off the auction sites. I realy don't think this would work to well it would be to easy for someone to catch on when you keep being asked to remove cert #'s from your registry sets. Just a tiny background check on the coin and they would know you didn't own it and repeated occurances of this would cause ownership of all your registry coins to be in question. >>

cho10

Morgan Dollars Proof
    - Basic Set - Varieties
    Peace Circ.
  • Options
    I only sell one of my PCGS Registry coins if I'm upgrading or replacing it. The old cert. number is out of the Registry at PCGS as soon as I have the new cert. number in-hand. Out with the old, in with the new!

Mike

BTW...unusual poll....
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!