Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Comments

• Options
    looks legit and it is the one in the pop report. Idk about the buy it now but the $1k price seems about right, looks likes he wants a bit more for it.

Zach
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never thought that in my wildest dreams that I would ever ever ever see one with Full Bands! image

MS64FB is a good start, but I stick to my guns and say that a gem in a 66 or 67 will not be made!

IMHO, I think the $1,500 is a decent price. Could get more I think.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    I'll wait for a 65FB image
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

I'm with you Paul, I never thought this coin would be made. Even though it is the only one
    graded FB I think it is not worth anywhere near $1500. A 64FB is only equivalent to an MS66
    in the registry. I would rather own a 67 then the lone 64FB. I owned the 79P 65FB and the
    80P 64FB witch are both the only FB graded for the date and sold them both for less then the
    asking price of the 70P 64FB. I value the 70P 64FB at $500, maybe a little more if you have
    to own the only one graded (for now at least). If it was a 65FB I would be all over it up
    to $2K. Any grade above 65FB and you will be into moon money. I wouldn't even consider
    bidding on the coin at any price with out a return option which I don't see in his auction
    description. He has noted on other auctions that there is no return on certified coins. If anyone
    is considering bidding on the coin e-mail the seller and verify if he has a return option on the
    coin or not. PCGS has been known to make a few mistakes on giving out he FB designation
    from time to time.....I would like to see this coin in hand to verify that he bands are all there.

Nick
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would like to see this coin in hand to verify that he bands are all there. >>

Funny... I was telling my wife about this coin as I was logging on. And as I opened the thread I made this same comment to her. She then asked, "don't you trust PCGS anymore?" Second funny part... I said, "well PCGS has made some mistakes."
    As for price, if I had found this coin, I would hope to get $1000. for it. But at the same time, I would ONLY pay that much if I were going for the first all FB set Registry. And us Roosie collectors know that without the 74 and 78 being made, this is still a no can do quest.
    Dan
  • Options
    MS64FB is a lousy grade. But it is a FB and ya I agree 100% with Nick that I would not touch this coin unless it comes with a 100% buy back guarantee.

Lets all be honest here for a minute. Everyone that wants this coin please raise your hands? If all of you that have your hands up, had unlimited funds, wouldn't you buy this coin? I highly doubt that another will be made anytime soon.

If this guy had any Kahunas, he would let it ride from a buck.

Later, Paul.

P.S. On a different yet similar note, I just went through 10 rolls of '06-P/D Roosies, 5 rolls each. My out come was (1) 2006-D worth sending in and I would be grateful to get a 7FB. Lots of chatter on these coins.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't stand it any longer. I have to put my 10 cents in.

$1500 for a 1970 dime IS NOT ONLY STUPID MONEY, but is just plain stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A 1970 Roosevelt dime is NOT a rare coin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is like the 1945. Common as dirt, but cost stupid money with bands. I would rather have the one and only 45 in 68 and could have gotten it for around $500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 1970 in 65 that I probably spent 20 bucks or less on. That's a GEM folks!!!!!!!!!!!! Why would I want to spend $1480 more to get one a grade LOWER just because it has bands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I had $1500 to spend on a dime it would be something like a 74-CC in AG!!!!!!!!!!! That IS a RARE coin in any grade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, but this whole BANDS thing just makes me want to PUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I had deep pockets I would much rather have one of the 2 1970's in 67. That would be a nice coin, but it probably cost more than I want to pay for a common coin. Heck I can't pull the trigger on a 1969 in 66 for a couple of hundred bucks. I guess I'll just have to look through some 69 mint sets at the next big show I go to and find the best I can and send it in for $8 and fill that d%m whole with whatever grade comes back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry about the ranting, but this whole thing about FB or super high grades on modern coins that are not rare just makes me want to eat nails.

Jon
  • Options
    LOL!

I guess we've been told!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    any!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NAILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Later, Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Hey Dimeman:

Rockford is having its bi-annual coin show here at the Holiday Inn banquet room on Sun. Sept. 17th, thats next Sun. Feel like going?

Let me know!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Dimeman we don't belittle the type of coins you buy, why try to make us feel stupid for collecting what makes us happy?
    Dan
  • Options
    hey dimeman,
    I will take all the ag3 74cc you have for 1500
    tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DimeMan;

Think of it this way. While a FB coin may not be as pretty as a spectacular gem to many peope, the fact
    that it is well struck in this area makes it extremely pretty to some people. Someday there are going to
    be much more surprising things going for big money. There will be the clad PL's that are just about dis-
    gusting in some cases bringing enormous premiums simply because they are scarce or rare. In the old
    days I didn't pay any attention to these and simply spent the ugly ones but now I know that there aren't
    really any that are common and many are very very tough.

Some people might not understand why another collector would treasure a badly worn or damaged rare
    date coin. But the simple fact is that we each have our own perspective on what constitutes desirable
    and our own knowledge set of what's rare or tough.

One of the best things about collecting, for me, is trying to figure out just why other collectors see things
    the way they do. When you figure it out, there's almost always some useful information or at least very
    interesting perspectives. If you worry too much about what other collectors think though, it might distract
    you from your own goals or collections.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I congradulate the guy for his find...

but why no reverse photo on the sale?
  • Options
    I sent this guy an E-mail with the following questions for all of us too see:

<< <i>Hello, First of this is a great find! It has stirred up some questions in the PCGS set registry forum that I would like you to answer if you could. Did you get this coin out of a Mint set, or roll? Can you possibly take a picture of the reverse, especially the lower bands. Also does this coin come with any return policies incase it is not FB's in the purchaser's opinion, and can you post the answers in your lot for others to view?

Thanks, Paul (MS69FB). >>

We will see if he answers.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    I would think for this kind of money a quailty picture of the obverse/reverse would be a no brainer for the auction listing. But there is no picture of the reverse at all. I, for one would love to see (at least) a couple high grade pics of this coin.
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>I would think for this kind of money a quailty picture of the obverse/reverse would be a no brainer for the auction listing. But there is no picture of the reverse at all. I, for one would love to see (at least) a couple high grade pics of this coin. >>

And alas your wish is my command. The auction now has a reverse photo with is probably due to Paul's question. Looks nice.

what comments do you dime folks have about the bands with the new reverse photo?

Zach
  • Options
    I received a response and here it is:

<< <i>Dear Paul:
    I cherrypicked 5 coins from several original rolls of 1970P, and I sent 2 that I thought would make a FB, but only one made it.
    Wali >>

I came to this site first and havn't been to eBay to see the reverse picture. I would like to see his other dime that supposedly didn't quite make it.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    OK, well I went to eBay and looked at this reverse he has and I will pass at any price. I just don't think that it has it. IMHO I see a flat spot next to the right side. I just don't think this coins got it. The bands are great, with alot of meat, but the right side does it for me.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

<< <i>OK, well I went to eBay and looked at this reverse he has and I will pass at any price. I just don't think that it has it. IMHO I see a flat spot next to the right side. I just don't think this coins got it. The bands are great, with alot of meat, but the right side does it for me.

Later, Paul. >>

I would have to agree with you paul. Both sides of the bottom band look flat. I can defintely see where the 64 comes from with the band on the back like that. Not the best looking coin, imo. Maybe someone else will feel different.

Zach
  • Options
    So the search continues Fellas!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Lighting plays a big part when viewing the lower bands. But seems to me to be a bit short on both sides, this said this coin does have some meaty bands for this date.
    I would reserve final judgement without seeing it in hand. Or knowing that one of our Roosie guys have first hand knowledge of this exact coin. Otherwise you may have to trust PCGS to make you whole on their BUY SIGHT UNSEEN pledge. image
    Dan
  • Options
    The bands on my 96-W look better than this 70-P. Take a look.

That is a nice 70, but as someone else said, I see why it is a 64.

I like my 65 just fine. Wish I could find a nice 1969-P at a nice price!

Jon
  • Options

<< <i>I like my 65 just fine. Wish I could find a nice 1969-P at a nice price! >>

LincolnsRule has some MS66's for sale. Time was you could still get 66's cheap. But about a year ago I sold one on ebay, and was supprised that it brought almost $250. Since then the prices have hung up there pretty well. Just a tough year to find anything worth grading.
    Dan
  • Options
    You can't really tell from a picture. Maybe it is nicer. Maybe not. I have some from 400 mint sets that I deem very close to full bands. I figured they wouldn't make it at pcgs. Maybe I should try some anyway.

Dimeman, a 69-p sold for $250+ a year ago, and one hasn't been for sale until now! I told you, it is not easy. I should be charging $300 for them.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, well I went to eBay and looked at this reverse he has and I will pass at any price. I just don't think that it has it. IMHO I see a flat spot next to the right side. I just don't think this coins got it. The bands are great, with alot of meat, but the right side does it for me.

Later, Paul. >>

Heck, if it's an EDS example, I just might get a little excited myself! image But since no-one has mentioned anything about the strike, why get excited about one dinky area of a coin?

And yes.........a return policy would be nice! Someone needs to explain to this seller that since there are several MS66 examples available, the FB labeling won't do anything significant for anyone's registry sets. So the coin is more of the "so-so" freak of nature than something that would be very desireable to own!

Perhaps it will sell but if not, the seller needs to dramatically reduce the starting bid, add a larger pic of the obverse and allow a return policy. He shouldn't let one bad experience label us all.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    LR,

You just had a 1969 in 66 for sale on ebay at 275 and got zero bids. That ought to tell you something. Put it out there starting at 99Cents and see where it goes.

Jon
  • Options

<< <i>You just had a 1969 in 66 for sale on ebay at 275 and got zero bids. That ought to tell you something. >>

Like......I'm not as whacko as the guy who paid $250+ a year ago! image

Leo image

• Options

<< <i>The bands on my 96-W look better than this 70-P. Take a look.

That is a nice 70, but as someone else said, I see why it is a 64.

I like my 65 just fine. Wish I could find a nice 1969-P at a nice price!

Jon >>

Dimeman, You are comparing apples to oranges when you are comparing the 1970 to the 1996. There have been a handful of actual design changes (Recut dies, etc...) to the Roosevelt dime over the years since 1970 if you didn't know.

By the way, the guy selling has been reading these boards and was very hurt that I flamed his dime. He wanted me to know that it took alot just for him to get the coin to where its at, and I agree with him. I did apologize to him for knocking his coin. He did make a FB at PCGS for a 1970 dime, somthing that none of us chumps could do. I suppose that since we do not know him and if was Nick, Rick, Datentype, Wondercoin, Craig, or Dan50, many of us would change our tune. If I had the money, I may have taken a stab at it, only with a better pic and a return policy.

Dimeman: You should buy one of those 1969 MS66's from LincolnsRule...I bet its a great dime and he does have a fantastic eye! Its also a steal!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    I too think the maker of the 70 should be given a hand. Many many of us failed to do what he has done.
    And yes the 70 is only a 64FB, but we all agreed long ago that "if" one was made, it would be a 63/64.
    The poor quality involved when they minted the 70-P made that almost certain.
    After all how many does YOUR pop report say are 67? Also just getting a 66 grade is an exception in itself.
    Now take the 68-D MS64FS jefferson nickle, a pop 1 coin, and the only FS for that date. Price listed in the PCGS price guide...$4000.00. Well friends, in the Roosie series this is the 68-D MS64FS. And I for one am proud to see it made.
    I'll tell you this, if I was a big moneyman, that coin would belong to me, because full or not it's got the best bands I've seen on a 70-P dime by far. And I've ripped a crap load of mint sets and rolls open, looking for a reverse like that.
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>I too think the maker of the 70 should be given a hand. Many many of us failed to do what he has done.
    And yes the 70 is only a 64FB, but we all agreed long ago that "if" one was made, it would be a 63/64.
    The poor quality involved when they minted the 70-P made that almost certain.
    After all how many does YOUR pop report say are 67? Also just getting a 66 grade is an exception in itself.
    Now take the 68-D MS64FS jefferson nickle, a pop 1 coin, and the only FS for that date. Price listed in the PCGS price guide...$4000.00. Well friends, in the Roosie series this is the 68-D MS64FS. And I for one am proud to see it made.
    I'll tell you this, if I was a big moneyman, that coin would belong to me, because full or not it's got the best bands I've seen on a 70-P dime by far. And I've ripped a crap load of mint sets and rolls open, looking for a reverse like that. >>

Wow! Have you personally seen the 68-D MS64FS? Tell us more about it! Judging from what PCGS puts into their MS67 holders, seeing in hand will make a believer out of me any day! Did someone say; a return policy is a must, I don't collect labels! image

Coins are collected in respect to strike, grade and eye appeal! If the steps or bands are there, even at 95%, that's icing on the cake, that coin is very collectable to a true coin collector!

Seller needs a change of heart and respect the devoted collectors here who want a return policy!

Leo

• Options
    I made one of the 71P dimes in 65FB awhile ago. Any guesses as to current value?
  • Options

<< <i>...full or not it's got the best bands I've seen on a 70-P dime by far. And I've ripped a crap load of mint sets and rolls open, looking for a reverse like that. >>

Methinks I may have spent a few like this! I was under the impression that the standard was the same for all clad dimes: split completely across, from field to field.

If there is a different, less stringent standard for the early 70's dates, then I have probably taken a pass on buying several raw rare bands dates. Live and learn.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    Clackamas got graded the 1968-d nickel. A picture is here.. He values it at least at 5 figures. I think he is more right than the pcgs price guide. I think the asking price for the 1970 dime is fine (although I don't collect full bands). I want a true ms67 1970 dime for my collection.
  • Options
    NO Return on Certified Coins.

I had an interesting thought today!
    Whether to accept a return on (desireable) slabbed or raw coins or not, what difference does it really make?
    The fact that you will seldom see a raw (modern) hi grade coin up for sale, a seller could state the same return policy; "NO Return on Raw Coins". The reason lies in the fear that the buyer may be too picky and wants only TPG'ed coins only. But he still may want a look at the raw coin anyway and so the chances of a return are higher. Having a full understanding on how these TPG grade and what ends up in their holders, I personally won't sell any of my good stuff raw for cheap money, knowing full well those coins would find their way into inflated graded holders..........and they have! That's a bullet to the foot right there! Who hasn't made that mistake or heard the countless horror stories!
    Same goes for slabbed coins; "NO Return on Certified Coins" but if the collector is assembling a set of coins in respect to their strike, grade and eye appeal (as most of us do), this type of return policy will not work in the collector's favor! So when a seller states; "NO Return on Certified Coins" he's really catering to a slab number collector and we all know how we frown on those guys! image

"NO Return on Raw Coins!", I'm beginning to like the sound of that!

Leo

• Options
    Looks like a PCGS miss to me. I think the seller knows this or he would have no problem
    offering a return option. This coin will not sell to any knowledgeable collector for any price
    without a return option. I will hold finale judgment on the coin since I have not seen it
    in hand but give the seller a thumbs down. Start the bidding at a buck with a return option
    and I'll jump in with a $500 bid.
  • Options
    Nick what do you think PCGS would do for the buyer "if" this coin was bought and deemed not a true FB?
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>Nick what do you think PCGS would do for the buyer "if" this coin was bought and deemed not a true FB? >>

My two cents says.........they will make it 10X tougher to make another..........for any date!

Leo

• Options

<< <i>Looks like a PCGS miss to me. I think the seller knows this or he would have no problem
    offering a return option. This coin will not sell to any knowledgeable collector for any price
    without a return option. I will hold finale judgment on the coin since I have not seen it
    in hand but give the seller a thumbs down. Start the bidding at a buck with a return option
    and I'll jump in with a $500 bid. >>

Like I said earlier, the seller is reading these boards and I advised him on 2 things. If he really wants to sell this coin and I know he does, he should get in contact with OnlyRoosies as he is the resident expert on Roosie dimes and let him look at it. second, he could send it to Wondercoin and consign the coin to him and maybe JHF will bite on it.

I also told him that I would even pay to see it as I have mentioned before several times in previous posts. I for one would love to just see the coin.

One thing is for certain...He is not going to be selling his coin on ebay anytime soon unless there is an "Un-listed Roosevelt collector" with deep pockets that doesn't read these boards.

<< <i>My two cents says.........they will make it 10X tougher to make another..........for any date!

Leo >>

I feel this sentiment too. If PCGS get hit with a "Buy back" on this dime, it may well be a "Never" for the 1970 to get the FB!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mentioned in my 2006 SF post that I saw signs of a more "forgiving" PCGS with respect to FB Roosies of late. And, by no means am I suggesting that is a bad thing. At this point in the cycle, however, I expect the bands to be "strongly all there" (especially on the coins where the value is nearly 100% tied to the bands) or simply pass on the coins. No different than most of the collectors commenting here it appears. Nick knows how many pop 1 and 2 Roosies I have passed on in the past year or two. I am happy to pay Nick 10% commish to buy Clad Roosies that he likes - he knows the difference.

I will not comment on the $1,500 price tag as the auction is ongoing.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    "Nick what do you think PCGS would do for the buyer "if" this coin was bought and deemed not a true FB?"

It looks like PCGS already covered themselves on this one. They listed a value of $500 in the price guide. That's
    all I believe they would pay if bought back.
  • Options

<< <i>It looks like PCGS already covered themselves on this one. They listed a value of $500 in the price guide. That's
    all I believe they would pay if bought back. >>

I wish it was that simple. There are many, many examples of PCGS not paying anywhere near the prices on their guide.

The buyer would, unfortunately, be completely at PCGS's mercy. I have been there, and it is not an enviable position to be in!
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    DANNYDANNY Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
    Most of this discussion/these comments-observations would not be necessary IF
    the seller would offer a return/refund option to the buyer.
    If you don't believe enough in the product you are selling, you shouldn't sell it!!!
    Daniel D. Biddle
    Paris, KY.
  • Options
    SOLD!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    I guess my $500 value assessment held up.
  • Options
    PAUL... steps up to the plate... the crowd roars... he swings!...the crowd goes WILD!... it's a high fly

ball...going...going...it's a.... it's a...

(Well, the end of the story remains to be seen.)

Way to step up to the plate Stooge! image
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    Nice pull Paul, if it turns out not to be what it says it is, send it back to PCGS.
    Dan
  • Options
    If I would have seen it, I would have bought it. I guess that's why Paul hit the BIN.
    He didn't want anyone else to see it and beat him out of it. Let me know how it looks
    when you get it in hand.

Nick
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Nice Score if it's the real thing! Good luck Paul!!!
  • Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, Paul image

Looks like a good dime to me, from the pics.

How do I get cell phone notification when these things get listed?? image
  • Options
    I actually sat in front of the computer for a good 15 Minutes hoping that someone else, such as Nick on the West Coast would see it and hit it. I then called Dan at 12:00AM E.S.T. and he was watching a movie. He said hit it. So for all the Open Forum crowd....

I will be taking some very good pix's and placing them here as soon as I learn to work my new Camera, and the new software goes up on PCGS.

Later. Paul.

Later, Paul.