Home Metal Detecting
Options

ENTRY/NOMINATION THREAD: September , 2006 "QUALITY" AWARDS (Best Coin/Jewelry/Relic/Wildca

Please enter your finds (or nominate somebody else's finds) for this month's five Metal Detecting Forum "Quality" awards:

The five "quality" award categories are:

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token
Best U.S. Coin/Token
Best Jewelry Item
Best Relic/Other
Best "Wild Card" Find

There is no limit on the number of entries per forum member. If your find seems humble in comparison to some of the others, don't sweat it- we like to see what everybody's found, be it humble or fantastic. Just post your item and a brief story of how you found it, or a link to your thread about the find, if there was one. If you can, post a picture of your item (small to medium-sized pictures of single items, please, rather than large groupings, since the pictures will be used in the poll threads at the end of the month). If you make a neat find and do not post it here, we might miss it later when we put the award polls up, so be sure and post your better finds here even if you already posted your own thread about them. Also, let us know what category you're entering for.

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token: This includes all world coinage with the exception of US minted coins obviously.

Best U.S. Coin/Token: this category is pretty self-explanatory. Note that it is for detector finds of coins minted in the U.S from 1776 to present - if a coin or token was found in circulation or by eyesight, it belongs in the "Wild Card" category. The award is for single coin finds, though if a cache is found all in the same hole and/or same container at the same time, it may be entered as a single item.

Best Jewelry Item: also pretty straightforward, but if you find coin jewelry, you can choose to put it here or in the Coin category. Also, if you find lost jewelry and return it to its proper owner, you still get to enter it in the competition, even though it wasn't "finders keepers". (See if you can get a picture of it, though).

Best Relic/Other: this category pretty much covers anything found with a detector that isn't a coin or jewelry.

Best "Wild Card" Item: this category is only for finds made without a detector. It may include coins or jewelry, but if you found those with your detector, they go in the categories above. This is for surface "eyeball" finds, circulation coin finds, and pretty much anything else, including nonmetallic finds like arrowheads, bottles, fossils, gemstones, gold nuggets, minerals, natural history specimens, pottery, prehistoric artifacts, and so on. Be sure and mention that the item you are entering is a "Wild Card" find, so we'll know which category to put it in when the polls go up at the end of the month.
Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Found this, it has been identified as an 1844 Province of Canada Colonial 1/2 penny token issued by Bank of Montreal

imageimage

My two best US coin finds for month:

imageimage

imageimage

And found these two Canadian George the fifth small cents - 1920 and 1931 (semi key date) for foreign coin entrys:

imageimage

imageimage

And found these two religious medals, one appears to have been silver plate, the other maybe brass. The silver one is a miraculous medal celebrating the miracle of 1830 link for info.

imageimageimageimage

And lastly my best two relics:

An Eagle Padlock from around the turn of 19th/20th century

And a wax seal stamp from late 19th century or abouts:
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Best jewelry find.

Amethyst in the belly.
  • Options
    The Eagle A button.

• Options
    Best Jewelry. 1853 Seated Quarter made into a pinback love token with Masonic Symbols.

Best US Coin. 1944 Washington quarter.

Best US Token. Masonic Penny.

imageimage
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    My best coin for the month(US)......1911 V Nickel, a first for me.
  • Options
    small 14k charm w/diamond ..... best jewelry?

"see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    TTT

Ok, we need more entries.

imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of mine are Relic Category entries. I did have one piece of jewelry this month, but it was only costume jewelry (a gilt brass Victorian child's ring with a pink glass "stone"). I put it away somewhere and couldn't find it when I was taking pictures.

White metal one-piece flat button, late 1700s/early 1800s.

Pair of lead fishing weights found next to one another, probably made from musketballs or in a musketball mold, circa early to mid-1800s.

Early two-piece button with starburst design and much of the original gilt finish. Early 1800s.

Strap end from an early- to mid-19th century spur. Found near the "starburst" button above. (Steve Smith got an 1837 large cent on this site in the spring, and I found that curious apothecary weight there, too.)

Primitive lead doodad from the same site, either a "buzzer" toy that would have been spun on a string, or a crude button or weight.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Hey Goldrush, I need a little help on how to post a picture in a message - for the contest and for the future. I've never done this. I'd appreciate it.
    Bentfork
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Goldrush, I need a little help on how to post a picture in a message - for the contest and for the future. I've never done this. I'd appreciate it.
    Bentfork >>

Here ya go!

If you have any finds from September you can post in the next week,do so.
    I won't have a chance to put the polls up till mid to end of next week as I will be out of town working.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I can pull poll duty if you need me to, John.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Enter me into the jewelry catagory. I found this nice pin buried three inches deep in a dirt parking lot of a Lake Tahoe campground. Can't really say what the stones are - or for that matter the metallurgy. But it did come in on the VDI averaging 50. It measures about 1.5 inches between every two points of the star. My wife liberated it from me for her own pleasure. image

Bentfork
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I can pull poll duty if you need me to, John. >>

That would be greatly appreciated Rob.
    I'm getting ready to pack as of this post and don't think I'll be able to get onlin till next week sometime.

BTW- gotta really cool unexpected package from you today!

Thanks!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Dang, did I mail that thing? I didn't mean to mail it until I had some of the bezels to put in there. I was gettin' rid of my stock of gold-plated state quarters and what to do with the Ohio quarters? Hmm. I will find you some bezels- I figgered you can put 'em in the bezels and give 'em as gifts.

• Options
    Hey, I'm back.

I had to do a job out of town that turned into a 13 day fiasco of 10-12 hr. days. Only had one day off in that stretch and had to live out of a suit case at that. I'm pretty well drained and just want to catch some image. Give me a day or two to relax and contemplate my belly button, and I'll have the polls up.

imageimage