Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The Official Anything "T-206 Thread"

Comments

• I need a little help from you t206 guys. I'm am looking to buy a Walter Johnson raw hands at chest piedmont back. I believe it would grade about a 3, any idea on what a fair price for a three would go for?

Thanks
    Ken
  • fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    i got it thanks mike!
  • Unless your really familiar with T206's to begin with...I would suggest finding a graded example. To big of a chance if it being trimmed, altered, etc. But if your fairly confident you don't have that issue...a PSA 3 or 40 could range from $450-550 for a hands at chest. I would also suggest if you think its a 3...then take into consideration it maybe a 2....which would range from about $250-$400 depending on looks.
  • Thanks asphaltman76 I believe I will take the graded route.
  • Latest pickup image

• lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    My friend Dave is quitely putting together a serious back collection. Congrats bud.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sting
    Looks like a really nice 2....congrats.

Scott >>

Received the card yesterday, looks much better than a 2, IMO. There is a little staining on the back of the card that does not show on the front and only one corner is really rounded the other three are dull, but not rounded. Colors are great on the card.
  • Dave,
    That Barry card is amazing. Very impressive!
    You probably need a fire extinguisher for your wallet on that one! image
    RayB
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Scott...

Just a matter of time before you start chasing backs!

Ray,
    Thanks...its definately one of those cards that portrays the type characteristics that you've always seemed to chase down. I've seen uglier PSA 5's.
    That is a nice card, but what is up with the eye brows??

• << <i>
    Ray,
    Thanks...its definately one of those cards that portrays the type characteristics that you've always seemed to chase down. I've seen uglier PSA 5's. >>

Dave,
    I'm serious; that's one of the nicer T206's I've seen in that grade level. The clarity, centering and cleanliness of the back of that card is really special. I know you have turned over some T206's in the past but this card is a real keeper. You should be very proud to own that one. Congrats again.
    Wow.
    RayB
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Ray,
    I acquired it from MVSNYC over on Net54. He is putting a massive back collection together in high grade as you might already know. He just upgraded his Carolina Brights to a 5, and honestly cut me a deal on this one. It is definately a keeper. As for now I'm up to this CB, a Drum, a Uzit, black Lenox, Hindu, and a beater Broadleaf 350. I am still needing to find a red hindu. Then my plan is to upgrade a little at time, when I come up on a nicer Uzit I'll sell the one I have....and go about it that way.

But yes..no wrinkles or anything on the Carolina Brights..best I can think is there is that really light staining on the back..other than that nothing.

• << <i>This is a 3??

image >>

Looks a little rough for a PSA 3, but I have seen worse in that grade. Lets call it a 3-, maybe a 2+++
  • sonoranmonsoon,

huh! That looks like a 1. It just amazes me what some of the older cards look like for the grade they get. When you purchased it (or traded for it), did you have decent scans to look at, or at least see it in person? And did the seller describe it correctly? My guess is...NO?

And Dave, very nice CB back.

I'm still on collecting hiatus, so I will just enjoy all of your guys cards.

<< <i>sonoranmonsoon,

huh! That looks like a 1. It just amazes me what some of the older cards look like for the grade they get. When you purchased it (or traded for it), did you have decent scans to look at, or at least see it in person? And did the seller describe it correctly? My guess is...NO?

And Dave, very nice CB back.

I'm still on collecting hiatus, so I will just enjoy all of your guys cards. >>

Look up a few posts, I posted this from an Ebay auction. I know that grades on low end of the scale can be subjective to a degree, but in T206s I see 2s that look like 4s and 4s that look like 2s.
  • sonoranmonsoonsonoranmonsoon Posts: 2,078 ✭✭

<< <i>sonoranmonsoon,

>>

Crazy: It is not my card, I was just added my humble opinion on a previous post on this thread. I probably was giving the card a bit too much credit with my statement (did not want to upset the owner too much), but I have seen worse PSA 3's (admittedly not many). 2 sounds fair, I think a 1 is a bit harsh. Just an opinion, nobody pays me to grade cards.
    Has anyone noticed the shipping costs on some of the T206 auctions?? $7.50, $8, $10 for low end cards. I can see spending a little more for an expensive card if it has DC and insurance. Just wondering if anyone else thought this was excessive. I guess it can happen with all cards, but since I have been watching the T206s a little more closely on Ebay, seems that I have noticed it with them.

• << <i>Has anyone noticed the shipping costs on some of the T206 auctions?? $7.50, $8, $10 for low end cards. I can see spending a little more for an expensive card if it has DC and insurance. Just wondering if anyone else thought this was excessive. I guess it can happen with all cards, but since I have been watching the T206s a little more closely on Ebay, seems that I have noticed it with them. >>

To answer your question directly, thoes shipping costs seem excessive for low end material.
    It will hurt them in the star feedback rating. One interesting thing I did find out. When the USPS raised their rates, they also changed their way of sorting. The new sorting machines can really damage graded material. Basic bubble envelopes sent regular 1st class mail are now at an increased risk of getting chewed up if they are too thick. Last month I received one PCGS coin chopped to bits, and 2 PSA cards I sent out were damaged. I now ship only in small cardboard boxes and pay at least the package rate. This has raised my costs a bit, but will save me a lot of headaches with returns and unhappy customers. Not to mention the cost of reslabbing them! My latest purchase that arrived last week (sorry, I did not take picks of the 2 t206's that were damaged):

• << <i> Has anyone noticed the shipping costs on some of the T206 auctions?? $7.50, $8, $10 for low end cards. I can see spending a little more for an expensive card if it has DC and insurance. Just wondering if anyone else thought this was excessive. I guess it can happen with all cards, but since I have been watching the T206s a little more closely on Ebay, seems that I have noticed it with them. >>

It varies by seller. But, I have seen a few high profile T206 sellers charge big shipping on their cards. I hesitate to buy from them, but when they have something that ive been searching for, i'll bite.
  • Reading Dave's post about E97s and T204s on the net54 board got me wondering....

All of us here knows that collecting T206s is a long, financially laborious process. But, as collectors (by our nature) we tend to get lured by other sets.

So, my question to all of you guys is what other sets besides the T206 are you currently collecting? And how has collecting that set impacted your purchases of T206s?

I can start:

In addition to T206s, i collect 1915 CJs and HOF rookies. Both are obviously popular and fairly expensive sets/collections to pursue. But, I love the CJ design (and their place in American folklore)...and I love pursuing HOF rookies because it allows be to collect cards from different sets.

How has collecting these sets impacted my pursue of completing the T206? Well, it's allowed me to focus, that's a given. Now that my extra cash is being siphoned to these other two sets, ive been forced to collect the T206s I think 1.) Will either maintain or increase their value, so it would be smart to get them now and 2.) i like because of the design and/or player (for instance, i am trying to get a nice tinker and m brown portrait because i like portraits with red backgrounds). Hence, my lack of posting recent purchases in this specific thread. My latest T206 purchase was a green cobb...which happens to fit both criterion established above.
    Latest pickup from member sonoranmonsoon, THANKS!!

• << <i>Latest pickup from member sonoranmonsoon, THANKS!!

image >>

That looks like a really strong 4!!

Am not sure how the rest iof you feel but I do prefer the t206 cards with an interesting multi-coloured background with sky, field, trees, buildings, etc....?
    My t206 collection can be seen here

The aim is to add one card per week to the collection....

• << <i>Reading Dave's post about E97s and T204s on the net54 board got me wondering....

All of us here knows that collecting T206s is a long, financially laborious process. But, as collectors (by our nature) we tend to get lured by other sets.

So, my question to all of you guys is what other sets besides the T206 are you currently collecting? And how has collecting that set impacted your purchases of T206s?

I can start:

In addition to T206s, i collect 1915 CJs and HOF rookies. Both are obviously popular and fairly expensive sets/collections to pursue. But, I love the CJ design (and their place in American folklore)...and I love pursuing HOF rookies because it allows be to collect cards from different sets.

How has collecting these sets impacted my pursue of completing the T206? Well, it's allowed me to focus, that's a given. Now that my extra cash is being siphoned to these other two sets, ive been forced to collect the T206s I think 1.) Will either maintain or increase their value, so it would be smart to get them now and 2.) i like because of the design and/or player (for instance, i am trying to get a nice tinker and m brown portrait because i like portraits with red backgrounds). Hence, my lack of posting recent purchases in this specific thread. My latest T206 purchase was a green cobb...which happens to fit both criterion established above. >>

I also collect Prime Cuts I and Flairs Significant Signings 2005. I was into both sets before discovering the t206 and tend to switch between the sets depending on whats available on e-bay. I'm pretty much resticted in what I can buy pretty much to ebay because of my location, living in England and I find that only about 50% of the t206 sellers will sell worldwide. In some cases asking a seller if they will ship to me results in a positive (strong feedback and an obvious passion as a collector helps in this regard).

Like you say though the t206 can get mighty expensive. One bonus as a collector in the current economic climate is the weakness of the dollar against the pound which gives me about 15% more spending power than when I started collecting 2+ years ago.

I do not however have the funds to start another vintage set..........

• jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Can anybody give me an idea what this card sells for in the real world? My father in law bought it raw and it just popped. He's not sure if he wants to keep it or sell it so I'm asking for estimates. We don't really know anything at all about 206s. Thanks!

20 31836595 1911 SWEET CAPORAL ADDIE JOSS PITCHING 4
    Here are some current ones up on Ebay, though none are a PSA 4, might help to give you a price range.

LINK

On a different subject, I will be going to the national on Saturday, what should I expect as far as dealers with PSA graded T206s, I just mean commons in PSA 3-5 range?? Just a few dealers or expect a good variety??

Kirk
  • Jim, unfortunately like most T206's the Joss "pitching" doesn't bring what the Joss portrait does. A Joss pitching in a PSA 4 is in the $150-175 range.

Dave
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, we really didn't have any idea. It's worth a lot more than he paid, so he's happy. After I told him a little about joss he decided to keep it and he's looking for more joss stuff now image

thanks again!
    Not a question of the seller, only of the card. Small top border, but bottom border is not bigger in size??

LINK
  • It's not mine...but any of you guys wanting a Drum......the BIN is too much but looks like he'd accept best offers.

link
    Saw that this morning, in reality what should a card like this go for, or is it something that rare that it is hard to put a price on it??

P.S. - Speaking of T206 card backs, what is your favorite one. I have not researched all of them as of yet, but I like the look of the Carolina Brights that was posted a few threads ago.
  • Drums are the hardest T206 back to come by....as well as Broadleaf 460's. I think alot of back collectors though would rather have a Drum, since you can pick up Broadleaf 350's pretty easily. Drums were only made for a very short time period with 350 back subjects. Estimates that I've seen from far more educated people in the field put a total number of Drums still in existance at around 200-300. Lower grade Drums like this, I would put at $1000 per numerical grade....so $1000 for this card would be decent....it actually was in an auction a few months back and went for $1200 plus the juice. My Drum is an SGC 30, and wouldn't sell it for less than $2000. But again, they are so rare I wouldn't even consider selling mine unless I already had one lined up to buy.

I do love the Carolina Brights back....that was mine posted a few days ago...terrific looking for a 4. My favorite back though is probably UZIT.

Dave
  • I dont think I'll get tired of posting them...ya'll will get tired of seeing them though image

Here are mine...the Drum is an SGC 30, the Uzit is an SGC 30 and the CB is a PSA 4

• Also my Mcgraw PSA 2 Lenox back

No, won't get tired of seeing them!! That UZIT is pretty cool looking not as fancy as the others, but colors sure stand out.
  • That's quite the collection you've got there, Dave.

WOW!
  • Totally agree with that - awesome cards Dave!!!!

Added my first Cycle last night - will scan when it arrives.....

• msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Very nice collection of tough backs!

In reference to what else did T206's make you collect....I think it led me into T202's, it is only 20% complete (and will take a long time to ever move up much)

My T202's
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff, everyone. Here's one I just received:

• Nevermind!
  • Nobody has added anything for about a week. Thought I'd bring it back to the top.

Any new pick-ups out there?
  • I'm trying to work on a pickup....just much more time consuming going after the rare backs....definately have to keep patient.
  • lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    I've picked up some stuff, just been a little lazy with the scanning. Waiting on a Matty portrait that gives me all 3 of his cards. I'll put that up when it arrives.
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Another one that I picked up recently. Is SGC okay to show???

• SGC is okay to show in my book Mark. Half of my collection now consists of SGC cards!
    A couple of T206s that I picked up from the National:

imageimage
  • what kind of prices were the T206's going for at the national? ebay equivalent?

also..did you notice many t206 rare backs there? ie, drums, uzits, red hindu's, lenox's?

<< <i>what kind of prices were the T206's going for at the national? ebay equivalent?

also..did you notice many t206 rare backs there? ie, drums, uzits, red hindu's, lenox's? >>

Pretty much book price!! To be honest I can not say for sure if anyone had those rare backs for sale or not, saw so many different cards it is all a blurr.
  • Great looking cards Stingray (very good looking 4's) and Gosteelers. I have no problem with SGC being shown. I only have one, and it's an EPDG back.

Dave,

If you don't mind me asking, which back are you working on next?

• Eric,
    Well.....I'm always looking to upgrade any that I have...although my collection is definately lacking a red hindu...but am talking with someone about one now.

Although I picked up that E107 Breisch Williams...which will slow me down for a bit.