Home U.S. Coin Forum

Best Camera for photographing coins...under $300, suggestions?

Just curious, as my camera has met an untimely fate. RIP!

Going to shop for a new camera this week and suggestions would be appreciated, trying to keep it under $300.

Regards

Leo

Comments

• LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    As in golf, it's not the tool, it's the fool.

You can buy a $1000 camera and take lousy pics, and buy a $100 camera and take spectacular ones.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm saving to buy a Canon S2 IS. I asked awhile back and some of the folks said they were pretty good. Runs about $345 at Walmart. Thats the only one I've really looked at lately, so I'm not sure what is out there for under $300.
    imageimage

• tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    what kind of camera you have and what happened to it.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I bought a Canon A620 on Amazon for around $210.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • it was a sony, cant remember the details (im at work) the screen started going then the internals definitely went as all the pics started coming up fuzzy with lines, then the screen completely died... It's just over three years old.
    I just noticed the other post on Cameras a few down from this one lol. im checking those out this week at Circuit City and Best Buy...

Leo
  • p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    Nikon Coolpix 5600 that runs about $150 brand new these days. Here is a sample photo.

• Just about any digital camera nowadays will take exceptional coin photos.

Make sure it has a self timer function and spend a couple extra bucks and buy a tripod. For taking pictures of static objects to show detail there just is no substitute for a tripod.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For taking pictures of static objects to show detail there just is no substitute for a tripod. >>

Except, maybe, a copy stand.

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file