Home Sports Talk

Most dangerous NL wild card team?

I don't want the Mets to face Philly. That Howard is too dangerous.
Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

Comments

• IMO, it's the Marlins.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    The Phils are about to put the Astros to bed. Hamels had a no no through 6 and only gave up one homer. Howard has gone
    yard again. We just need some magic in the bottom of the ninth!

Kevin
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Just a short time ago, the Phillies seemed dead, and the Mets were running away with things. You have to give the Phillies credit for not dying after the Abreu trade, and Ryan Howard is making a strong bid for NL MVP.
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I don't see how you don't give the MVP to Howard at this point.

NL Manager of the Year in a runaway should be Girardi.

That Marlins team is awfully tough, and I think they'd be as dangerous as anyone in a short series.
  • I agree with Howard for NL MVP. I don't think anyone really compares to him. Basically, I agree with your post Ax.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Howard should get the mvp if the phils make it in. If they dont make it beltran or pujols should get it. the voters usually give it to the guy that gets his team to the playoffs.

One thing for the mets is..if the rules are still the same. we cant play philly florida or atlanta in the first round?

Not that it will matter much the mets have the team to win it all this year.

• The Marlins scare me the most. They are playing for their manager. They are young and not expected to be competitive. Dangerous combination there.

Philadelphia without a viable closer looks awful weak if their starters don't last...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that the Marlins are a dangerous team right now. Before Rocket got hurt, I thought the Astros pitching staff could be tough right now in a short series, too. The Phils are a one-man team right now. If they make it, Howard has got to be the MVP. Even though I am a Mets fan, he's meant more to the Phils than even Beltran has meant this year to the Mets.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I think Howard deserves the MVP even if the Phils don't make the postseason.

Who here wrote the Phils off as dead after the Abreu salary dump? Who here thought they had anything left to make a serious postseason run?

Even if the Phils dont make the playoffs, Howard has strapped that team to his back and carried them to a september chase - doing much more with less than either Pujols or Betran.
  • DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭
    If they get there, I like Houston basis pitching.
    Proud of my 16x20 autographed and framed collection - all signed in person. Not big on modern - I'm stuck in the past!
    Phils are a one man team??what?? Did you see Hamels today?

JS
  • kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    One thing for the mets is..if the rules are still the same. we cant play philly florida or atlanta in the first round?

Can anyone tell me if that is still true?
    It is still true, you will play either St Louis or LA, assuming they both win their divisions

Kevin

• << <i>Phils are a one man team??what?? Did you see Hamels today?

JS >>

Sorry, Hamels doesn't compare to the Marlins Josh Johnson. Johnson has over a 1.5 lower ERA, 1 less loss, and 5 more wins. I'll take Willis, Johnson, and Olsen over any 3 pitchers on the Phillies roster. Lets not forget about Anibal Sanchez either; that's four pitchers under 25 who are as good if not better at this point that Cole Hamels(and note, I'm a fan of Cole Hamels).
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
    I haven't been following the Marlins or Johnson, but Hamels has been lights out against Mets and Cards. Stats are nice when you are playing
    Rockies or Nats, but I like a guy who can shut down the bats of the Mets!

Kevin

• << <i>I haven't been following the Marlins or Johnson, but Hamels has been lights out against Mets and Cards. Stats are nice when you are playing
    Rockies or Nats, but I like a guy who can shut down the bats of the Mets!

Kevin >>

ERA, Innings pitched, hits, runs, earned runs
    May 26, 2006 NYM WIN (4-2) 0.00 7.0 2 1 0
    Jul 08, 2006 at NYM WIN (8-4) 0.00 5.0 2 2

Josh Johnson is underrated and under most fans radar. But he gives the Marlins quality starts.

Edited to add: 4 hits over 12 innings, I'd take that out of any pitcher let alone a 22 year old who's 5th in NL BAA(.231), 2nd in NL ERA, and 7th in WPct. That's damn good in my book, and he's not even considered the best of the staff.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
    Agree with Topps on this one, Marlins are far more dangerous than the Phils right now.

Kevin, do you have a stockpile of PSA 10 hamels rookie cards?? The guy is a .500 rookie pitcher with an ERA of 4.50, come on now! Stick to Bucs, OK.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Like I said, he has pitched well against the best of the NL. Its the playoffs, you only need one good game in a 7 game series, and giving up
    4 a game isn't that bad considering the bats we have.

JS
  • The Fins have 3 rookies with 10 or more wins. Not to mention Uggla, Ramirez and Cabrera in the field.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
    This just in:

Josh Johnson just got taken behind the woodshed and abused by the Phillies!

GO PHILS

JS
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    IMO this year the most dangerous 'wild card' Team is the Phillies. The reason being they play the Mets well.

The padres lead the pack as of this writing though. the marlins are tuff too and have history behind them.

Phillies
    Padres
    Marlins
    Reds

It may be a tight race decided on the last day of the season. a playoff may even be required before that wc race is settled.

Steve
    Good for you.
    Great win for the Marlins tonight in extra innings. Howard can only carry this club so far.

Losing 2 out of 3 to the Phils everytime they play them, isn't going to win them the wildcard!

JS
    Won't get Philly any closer either.

D-Train shut down the Phils today in style. Marlins are a better team with much better pitching than Philly and more dangerous for sure.

• CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Beware the Fish and Fathers.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
    The Padres are killing it this month, but it seems like everyone is keeping the pace. There is nothing sexy about the Padres, so Im
    sure Fox is rooting against them. Everyone wants to see Howard v Wright. Hamels had a no no through 6 today. Pedro might be
    broken down..could it be possible that the best team in the NL might be the wild card team?

Phils will be here if you need them. Pitching improving and hitting it long and hard..thats us. Watch out Father!

JS
    could it be possible that the best team in the NL might be the wild card team?

Um, no. The Mets have actually WIDENED their lead over the Phils since Martinez went on the DL.