Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

It seems everytime I look at my Mercs they drop a spot.

I've had a very busy spring and summer and haven't had much of a chance to post. I like the fact that so many sets are becoming complete in the Mercury dimes, but you people keep pushing my set farther down! LOL

Now, anyway, congrats to those of you pushing me down. You have some really nice sets of Mercs!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

Nice collection you have there fcloud.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know what you mean FC. Back in 2002 when I was at the top and looking over my shoulder everyday. That was the good ole days before the big boys came along and blew us out of the water. My set (jon & Linda's Mercurys) at 66.03 has fallen down to 16th place in the all time list. I am still proud of that set.

Jon
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know what you mean FC. Back in 2002 when I was at the top and looking over my shoulder everyday. That was the good ole days before the big boys came along and blew us out of the water. My set (jon & Linda's Mercurys) at 66.03 has fallen down to 16th place in the all time list. I am still proud of that set.

Jon >>

My POS set has fallen out of the Top 20 alltime. Atleast some of the coins are now in higher sets...image

Yep, the good old days are missed. When the market tanks the good old days may come back.

Ken
  • Options
    MercfanMercfan Posts: 700 ✭✭
    As a real late-comer to registry set and high-end Merc collecting, I missed the good old days to which Ken and Jon refer. Thus, I'm interested in hearing more about what, exactly, I missed.

And I'd also be interested in hearing Ken elaborate a bit on how a tank in the market (would that be coin market or stock market, by the way?) might help to bring about a return to those good old days. Are we just talking about lower prices for nice Mercs and less competition near the top of the Merc registry sets, or were the good old days characterized by more than that?

I'd certainly favor a return to some "good old days" in which I might be able to pick up some of the tougher dates and mint marks without first having to win the lottery.

"Coin collecting problem"? What "coin collecting problem"?
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, yes, the good ol' days!

The Mercury dime group was very active in this message board. Many a Merc collector help each other with what they needed. Some still do. There was a camaraderie in this group that still goes unmatched to this day. History lessons, stories, helping each other, and on and on! Ken was and is one of the most knowledgeable members of that group. I fell into Mercury Dimes by trying to decide what someone on a limited budget could afford to put together, I was instantly welcomed into a group of wonderful collectors. I am so glad I selected the Mercs as my choice. Yes, I do have some other coins and some other sets listed, but I just can't seem to get past the Mercs. When I go to shows, I just can't get interested in anything else. I am sure I missed a lot of things in my brief note here, but to say it was a great set to put together with the help and support of the good ol' days was a great experience in which will probably never be back. There is just a hint of it in the Roosevelt dime group, but they aren't even close to the good ol' days of Mercury Dime Collectors.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ah, yes, the good ol' days!

The Mercury dime group was very active in this message board. Many a Merc collector help each other with what they needed. Some still do. There was a camaraderie in this group that still goes unmatched to this day. History lessons, stories, helping each other, and on and on! Ken was and is one of the most knowledgeable members of that group. I fell into Mercury Dimes by trying to decide what someone on a limited budget could afford to put together, I was instantly welcomed into a group of wonderful collectors. I am so glad I selected the Mercs as my choice. Yes, I do have some other coins and some other sets listed, but I just can't seem to get past the Mercs. When I go to shows, I just can't get interested in anything else. I am sure I missed a lot of things in my brief note here, but to say it was a great set to put together with the help and support of the good ol' days was a great experience in which will probably never be back. There is just a hint of it in the Roosevelt dime group, but they aren't even close to the good ol' days of Mercury Dime Collectors. >>

As a member of the "Roosie" group, I feel the "Love", but not as strong as I remember the "Mercateers". These guys went on and on and on and on, about those Mercs and I could not understand what all the fuss was about, until PCGS came out with the 1796-Date complete set of Dimes and I found myself actually LOOKING at Mercs. I currently own 1...a beautiful 1944-D MS67FB and I love it. I will always be a Roosie guy, but I do now understand. Mercury Dimes a way kewl!

I remember those RED FRIDAYS...all the Merc guys would save their cert. #'s on their up-grades and list them on Fridays.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes the good old days of having 20% of a mercury dime set complete would get you in the top twenty, There was only one mercury dime set you could be in not the 5 or 6 we have today.

I tried to stay in the top twenty and was there for most of the time until just the other day and now I'm twenty-one. the competition to be in the top twenty has increased ten fold. I forsee needing to be 100% complete to be in the top 20 in the not too distant futher.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As a member of the "Roosie" group, I feel the "Love", but not as strong as I remember the "Mercateers". These guys went on and on and on and on, about those Mercs and I could not understand what all the fuss was about >>

On and On and On and On did not end with what all members could see here. PM's between merc guys were very very common. I just added mine up and about 2400 PM's were sent to Mercateers. I have no idea how many Emails were exchanged.

It was a fun time and I for one appreciate every thread, PM and Email that was exchanged between every last Mercateer and myself.

When PCGS changed the way to enter coins it was a very black day and spelled the doom for Red Fridays which brought the whole group together. Much was lost.

Ken
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Just so everyone knows what Red Friday was, here is a brief explanation. PCGS did not have a data base that updated realtime a few years back. You put in your updated information and on Tuesday and Friday PCGS would update the registry sets with the red update flag. Now you get instant update to your set and ranking. There was a bit of mystery to who was adding or updating back then.

I would also add that we had a group of collectors who were starting from ground zero in most cases for building their Merc set. We got to see everyone add and chase the various coins in the grades they could afford. We all were cheerleaders for each other as it was a common quest. There were no deep pocket collectors dominating the sets. We all appreciated the enormous quality of the one or two completed sets at the top, but by and large the rest of us were pursuing completion.

The other thing that was special was the trading back and forth. There was and still remains an unprecedented level of trust among those of us who were sending coins back and forth as upgrades occured and coins became available for others. Ken in particular was most helpful to me. If he tells me a coin is a certain grade, I know it is that grade in my eyes also. With all the issues surrounding eBay etc. it was really nice to deal with fellow collectors that you could trust.

I still have my Mercateer shirt and wear it to Baltimore shows.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>On and On and On and On did not end with what all members could see here. PM's between merc guys were very very common. I just added mine up and about 2400 PM's were sent to Mercateers. I have no idea how many Emails were exchanged.

Ken >>

I have sent and received countless PM's from other Roosie collectors, so yes, what people read here is just half of the story. If you are a constant reader of these boards and not a member, you are completely missing out. I personally know of 2 collectors, 1 of Barber coinage, and the other of Modern stuff, and they both are too damn lazy to sign up and post. image What fun they are both missing out on!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    And we dominated the set registry message board and now we seem to be just bored.

• Options
    Ken
    It's all good...
    The coins are out there and are reasonably affordable. If someone wants to start a Registry Set, Mercs are alot of fun! The Mercury Dime is a beautiful coin with a terrific history...

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One Merc that has gone completly nuts is the 16-D!!!!!!!

I had a PCGS62 that I bought for $3500, sold it for $9000 and now who knows how much it will cost to get it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARGGGGGG!!!!!!

Jon
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It seems everytime I look at my Mercs they drop a spot >>

I guess the logical solution would be not to look at them so often! image

Seriously, though, the good old days were a lot of fun. I started off with around 20 miscellaneous Mercs that I'd acquired over the years, and then decided to try to complete the set. There was lots on encouragement from other Merc collectors and non-merc collectors as well, with lots of buying/selling/trading amongst us. Ken was especially active in the series, and certainly the most prolific poster of photos of his recent acquisitions. For me, that was the best part of it - posting my own photos and seeing those of others.

My Merc set hasn't seen any activity in over a year, but I'm still hanging in there at #13. I picked up some nice type coins at the ANA instead of trying to find the elusive '21-P. My set has decent photos of the early dates, and I've photographed the later dates, but haven't had the time or ambition to prepare them for the Registry. Ron Guth hinted at some upcoming changes at the PCGS luncheon in Denver last month, so if there are better options for posting pictures, it will be an incentive to finish the job.

It's good to hear from some of the oldtimers.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!