Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Barber Half Experts

Harry Laibstain has a FR2 '92 micro o on his website. What are everyone's thoughts around this variety including availability and price? Not many have been available - 4 on Heritage since 1997, 1 on TT in 1998.

HLRC Website

Comments

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harry Laibstain seems to be the only dealer that offers this rare variety with any frequency. He just had for sale a few weeks back the only VF graded 92-o in a PCGS holder and I have seen him offer a couple of lower grade specimens not too long ago also. The current specimen, while in very low grade, is still a beautiful example, considering how few coins there are, and how many are problematic.

As for the price, it will not go cheap, but if held long term, it will probably be a sure thing to recoup one's money and probably make some down the road.

Tyler
  • Options
    MoneyCollectorMoneyCollector Posts: 451 ✭✭✭
    Yea, I've seen a few he's had in the recent past. I notice based upon the Registry that most collectors probably don't plan on including it in their set I'm sure b/c to get one to match is both impossible (doesn't exist) and too expensive if one were available. What do you think of this one?

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    For $2000 I'd sincerely consider purchasing this rare type coin/ error....especially if you had a low grade set like me image
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    While I was away on vacation in July, HLRC offered this coin, did anyone find out what the asking price was ?

imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my days collecting the Barber halves I have seen two 92-o's offered on Ebay in very low grade. Harry Labstain has had three or four, including the best midgrade example known (imho); the PCGS VF20 mike has illustrated on his reply to this post, and David Lawrence had a XF40 coin (asking $14,000) and another very nice NGC F15 graded coin for a mere $4,350 or something along those lines. That F15 coin would probably easily sell for $8,000 - 10,000 dollars just two years after I passed on it.

Tyler
  • Options
    Heres' an attachment to my micro O.
    ( I'm at work and don't remember all the http:/forum/collectors.com//attachments/image name...its just too complicated without my crib notes in front of me ! )

At home now...and here she is.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    Obviously this one did not go completely unnoticed.

Recent Ebay auction
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    This is the one major variety in the set and there are very few of these known, perhaps about 40 total coins with maybe half that number without problems. The example Harry has is well worn but no detracting scratches or marks, just wear. If you plan on holding for a few years you won't go wrong owning this coin and if you have the $ and are fortunate to find an upgrade down the road, this coin is an excellent "filler" in the meantime.

HLRC offers some of the best quality coins for the grade, and Harry's knowledge of Barber Halves is among the best in the business. In the long run paying for quality should reap a good return when it comes time to end your stewardship and pass them on to the next person.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options

I agree, Harry does get some great Barbers. I love everything I've bought from him.

Here's a 1903-P I bought from him last year:image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    USCGCraigUSCGCraig Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    Mike,

I believe the number was somewhere around $20,000.
    Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A low grade micro O would appear to be a steal compared to what is the going rate for good 1901-s quarters. Do the math.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    USCGCraigUSCGCraig Posts: 1,005 ✭✭

<< <i>Obviously this one did not go completely unnoticed.

Recent Ebay auction >>

We sure missed that one. I bet the seller was pleasantly surprised to get that kind of money.

Somebody already beat me to Harry's F2. Bummer.
    Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know if the micro-o is a rarity rating of 5+ or 6? Looks like there is roughly low 30's certified (between PCGS and NGC). Perhaps some are crack-outs? And probably a few raw.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    There are 43 known and counted micro O halves per the most knowledgeable person, Mike Flanagan. Two more to come forward in upcoming Stack auction, both currently raw and not among the 43 Mike listed.

The condition census goes like this:

1. Eliasberg PCGS MS 68 formerly NGC 68 and erroneaously listed still in the NGC database.
    2. Queller PCGS MS 67
    3. Duckor PCGS MS 65
    4. Hugon NGC MS 65
    5. Shireman PCGS MS 63, my registry set coin, formerly from Larry Briggs.
    5. Szatkowski PCGS MS 63
    7. PCGS MS 62
    8. Others in low grade mint state and a few in high AU grade including MFH's AU 55 and an ANACS AU55 Pyror.

Harry Laibstain has handled many micro O halves over the past 2-3 years and is very well versed in their value and rarity. He has handled selling some of the five or six duplicates that I hoarded over time.

I saw the P2 coin in Denver and it is nice for grade, as ironic as that sounds.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    Just back from vacation and I'm catching up on the Barber threads. There appears to be a few Barber threads that I need to read. The 92-o micro "O" is still up on the HLRC website, but sold.......according to Craig. Whoever bought the coin got them self a very nice, low grade, micro "O". I would have been very happy to have added that example to my collection. The coin has a great look, free from hits, and blows away the Ebay micro "O", even though Harry's coin show's a little more wear.
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    The coin at hlrc may still be for sale and could be out on approval or other situation. It's not a bad idea to contact Harry if you have an interest in a coin that appears to be already sold, as he might get it back or know of another available somewhere.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the one on HLRC stuck. It appears to be off the site now.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file