Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would you buy more Modern Coins if the Mint Limited Production to only 10,000 Coins ?

If the US Mint limited its production to only 10,000 coins for all Gold coin Commemoratives---would you be a buyer of these Instant Rarities ? I say, yes, sign me up !

Comments

• Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Maybe.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have less interest in "manufactured rarities" though any kind of rarity can make a collector take notice.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be the first one standing in line with mintage figures like that image
  • Options
    dam skippy
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, as long as they don't try to offer 20 different gold coins a year at 10,000 production each.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If the US Mint limited its production to only 10,000 coins for all Gold coin Commemoratives---would you be a buyer of these Instant Rarities ? I say, yes, sign me up ! >>

Yes, but not so much if they are three one-ounce gold sets that cost $2600 a pop.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    The moderns I like are coins the mint thought weren't collectibles. The 71-72 Ikes that were not included in mint sets, the 82-83 coins not included in mint sets, the 65-67 SMS sets that were essentially low grade proof sets, etc. Those coins are interesting largely because they were completely ignored at issue. Anything the mint promotes will be saved in some quantity, and in pristine condition. I like the matte coins, but I expect their price increase to be small and incremental.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    USCGCraigUSCGCraig Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    I'm hoping the first ladies will have a mintage of 2,500 or less.
    Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.
  • Options
    Sorry for my ignorance, but aren't platinum coins fairly low mintage?
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry for my ignorance, but aren't platinum coins fairly low mintage? >>

Yes, they are.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    MoneyCollectorMoneyCollector Posts: 451 ✭✭✭
    The only thing that makes me nervous is trying to create demand for something by making small quantities. If the mint keeps the amount of products small and quantities small I think it will be OK. If they make too many different products, each with small mintages it may turn collectors off!

In the late '90's I worked for a sportscard manufacturer and they killed the hobby by making 50 different sets annually of baseball cards (for example), each in a small quantity with "rare" inserts. Baseball card collecting had been hurting since the baseball strike in the early '90's, but the marketing of too many small "rare" sets killed it for good. The company filed for bankruptcy in early '99, 6 months after I left!
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I like it better when normally there are hoards and on occaision they are scarce.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. I collect coins-which to me means- cents, nickels, dimes, quarters, half dollars, dollars,real gold "coins" (i.e. Pre-1934 vintage)etc., that were made for and used in circulation. While the mint can parade any modern commemm or gold eagle as a "coin" that technically has face value, they are not used in commerce and in my mind disqualifies them as real coins. Sure you can spend them if you want -has anyone ever spent a modern silver commemm or gold eagle? A mintage of 10,000 "coins" that will always be BU67-70 or Proof67-70, does not inspire me as much as a real coin with a mintage of say 2-5 million, with only a few hundred at most Bu 63 or better, survivors. Perhaps a lot of barber coins fit this category--a much better investment. ( and i dont like barber coins all that much-just using them as an example) JMHO. Bobimage
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes o yes, I will lap up whatever pablum the mint offers to me, I'm so starved for coins I want this years!

Gosh if they offered me next years coins this year I'd buy that too, gosh I just cant get enough "product"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Something like 1 or 2 a year for 5 years for some sort of set would be great. First come first serve and then the secondary market would make me think twice though.

Jerry
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Reverse Proof Gold will be a very collectible coin, but, bear in mind that the 10,000 mintage is HIGH compared to many of the Proof Platinum Statue of Liberty coins. The 2004-2005 Proof Platinums sport mintages of roughly mid-4,000's - mid 7,000's. A coin like the 2001 $100 Proof Plat has a mintage of 8,900 and sells for about 10% over melt (5) years after issue!! Repeat - 10% over melt for an 8,900 mintage coin. Even this year's 2006 Proof Plats will likely have mintages well below that of the reverse proof gold coin. So, to answer the question of this thread - the mint has issued many, many coins with mintages under 10,000 over the past few years - most collectors just haven't picked up on it YET.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    any kind of rarity can make a collector take notice.

dam skippy

• Options
    Wondercoin---Thanks for the facts relating to the Platinum Proof Coins---Very Interesting !
  • Options
    please no more talk of platinum coins!!!!!!!!
    No one should buy them.
    they don't exist.

I haven't completed my set yet.

• Options
    This is a listing of all (if I missed one let me know) the design and denomination based type coins issued by the US government since 1915 that have a mintage of 10,000 or less. Design trivial marks like dates, mintmarks, dots etc are excluded.

5,063 .....2004 Proof Platinum Eagle Half Seated America
    5,174 .....1997 Jackie Robinson $5 Gold MS
    5,193 .....2004 Proof Platinum Eagle Quarter Seated America
    5,700* .....2005 Proof Platinum Eagle Half Bounty less returns, the numbers posted on the mints web site are from Nov of last year-not final
    6,007 .....2004 Proof Platinum Eagle $100 Seated America
    6,400* .....2005 Proof Platinum Eagle Quarter Bounty less returns, ditto
    6,683 .....2000 MS Bimetallic $10 Comm.
    6,700* .....2005 Proof Platinum Eagle $100 Bounty less returns, ditto
    6,761 .....2001 $5 MS Capital Visitor Center Gold
    7,044 .....2003 Proof Platinum Eagle Quarter Vigilance
    7,131 .....2003 Proof Platinum Eagle Half Vigilance
    7,161 .....2004 Proof Platinum Eagle Tenth Seated America
    7,900* .....2005 Proof Platinum Eagle Tenth Bounty less returns, ditto
    8,254 .....2001 Proof Platinum Eagle Half American Southwest
    8,246 .....2003 Proof Platinum Eagle $100 Vigilance
    8,772 .....2002 Proof Platinum Eagle Half American Northwest
    8,847 .....2001 Proof Platinum Eagle Quarter American Southwest
    8,948 .....1996 Smithsonian MS $5 Gold Comm.
    8,969 .....2001 Proof Platinum Eagle $100 American Southwest
    9,174 .....1996 Flag Bearer $5 MS Gold Comm.
    9,282 .....2002 Proof Platinum Eagle Quarter American Northwest
    9,534 .....2003 Proof Platinum Eagle Tenth Vigilance
    9,834 .....2002 Proof Platinum Eagle $100 American Northwest
    9,958 .....1928 Hawaiian Silver Half Comm.
    10,000 .....2006 Reverse Proof Gold Eagle Saint $50

Guys almost all of them are moderns and there is no shortage of listings under 10,000. In fact these days unless the coin possesses outstanding relative rarity in series like the 95w, a type coin mintage of 10,000 is no big deal. The new Reverse Proof is 2.5 times rarer than its next closest proof. PCGS and NGC are placing it in the proof registry set. I have one on order but its too early to tell if its going to be a monster or not.

Some sources indicate many of the proof plats have mintages lower than listed.

Best Wishes

Eric

• Options
    Nice chart Eric.

Is it your opinion that the 2005 Proof Plats will end up with lower or higher mintages than 2004 Proof Plats once the Mint finalizes its #'s for the (2) years?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    This one would just miss the list

10,129.......2003-W First Flight Centennial gold $10

Big mint state gold!
  • Options

<< <i>

Guys almost all of them are moderns and there is no shortage of listings under 10,000. In fact these days unless the coin possesses outstanding relative rarity in series like the 95w, a type coin mintage of 10,000 is no big deal. The new Reverse Proof is 2.5 times rarer than its next closest proof. PCGS and NGC are placing it in the proof registry set. I have one on order but its too early to tell if its going to be a monster or not.

Eric >>

Most of the 20th century special issues and varieties with under 10,000 mintage are also moderns.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges, but...

Of the list in ericj96's post... how many of those coins are 3-5X multiples of their issue price? Just wondering.

Secondly, if the mint made a 2007 Aluminum Lincoln cent with a 1909 reverse or something that made the coin different from the aluminum cents of the past so they couldn't be mistaken,

or

if the mint made a 2007 silver Jefferson, platnium dime, or any other whimsical piece and called it a "pattern"... I fail to understand the difference between these coins and previously minted patterns... and I'm sure the mint website would melt everytime one went on sale.

The big problem with it all is, the mint makes less than 10K of the same design for multiple years... if they made truely unique coins, (edited to add... and called them patterns instead of commemoratives) for one year only, they could probably name their price and many of the people on these boards would jump at the offer.

But we can what if all day long...

Peace!

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes i like the way you thank. I try to buy one a week of the tenth oz. and one quarter oz a month i`ll reep the rewards later platinum proofs are the lowest mintage 10.000 in 10th oz / 5.000 in .25 oz / 3.000 in 1/2 oz and 4.000 in 1oz now thats low and yes i did buy two 1/2 oz and i am not dune yet and yes i would buy more of them at 10.000 or less on the modern.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I have been buying the $50 Platinums from the Mint for the past few years-way below 10,000 some even below 5000.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one has mentioned the 2002-W Salt lake city Oylmpic $5 gold in MS. The mintage is under 7,000.
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    It would more and more like collecting stamps, baseball cards, ...image
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are many Classic Commems with mintages from 2100 to 10,000. Most are dirt cheap. When you bring the variable quality of the coins into the equation, the higher grade pieces look even better.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    10,585 .....2002-W Salt Lake Olympics gold $5 (2007 Redbook)

Nothing on the above list sold out near as fast as the gold 3 coin set.
  • Options
    There are many Classic Commems with mintages from 2100 to 10,000. Most are dirt cheap. When you bring the variable quality of the coins into the equation, the higher grade pieces look even better.

But, only the Hawaiian makes the "top 25" list of lowest mintage TYPE coins since 1915 as every one of the Proof Platinum coins listed is a 1 year issue with a special design type for that single particular year.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Looks like people favor the set(like motif) instead of the 1 time design issue......the world has also valued Gold and Silver forever...did Platinum ever play a part in history!
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like people favor the set(like motif) instead of the 1 time design issue......the world has also valued Gold and Silver forever...did Platinum ever play a part in history! >>

Platinum has long been important in research but had few commercial applications or demand
    until recently. Back in the 19th century there were many gold coins hollowed out and the metal
    replaced with much cheaper platinum. Platinum is a little heavier but these can be very deceptive.

It is likely that platinum will enjoy more demand as time goes on but its greatest weakness is its
    similarity to other metals in the group which can be much cheaper. Its greatest strenght may be
    that none of the metals in the group are abundant.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    did Platinum ever play a part in history!

Good observation, although I do not recall from my history classes what part copper played in history either.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    "Good observation, although I do not recall from my history classes what part copper played in history either"

Well then if the people you learned about in your history books just bartered between themselves then I guess all those coins of yours are FAKES!!!!

Just think how many cups of tea were waisted in Boston...
  • Options

<< <i>although I do not recall from my history classes what part copper played in history either >>

--They call it the Bronze Age.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "Would you buy more Modern Coins if the Mint Limited Production to only 10,000 Coins ?"

No, because the Mint would just increase the price by 50x.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    OK - copper very important as well. Surely nickel didn't play that big a role in history - did it?

Wondercoinimage

OK - that was important as well - so, Platinum is odd man out
  • Options
    NumisMeNumisMe Posts: 841 ✭✭
    You beat me to it Sean, I too learned about that period of history called the Bronze Age, which wouldn't have been much without the copper.
  • Options

<< <i>OK - copper very important as well. Surely nickel didn't play that big a role in history - did it?

Wondercoinimage >>

Clad would be naked without it.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CK: Agreed.

But, do you believe the relative lack of interest in the platinum coins has its roots in its (lack of) history?

Wondercoin
  • Options
    I thought about buying platinum but even though there are low mintages there is also low demand by collectors.
  • Options

<< <i>
    But, do you believe the relative lack of interest in the platinum coins has its roots in its (lack of) history?

Wondercoin >>

I never thought of it in those terms but, yes, it probably is a factor.

Platinum coins were few and far between in the past with the lion's share being Russian. Even today
    there are relatively few coins being struck in platinum though mintages tend to be a little lower.

Since many US platinum collectors are newbies this might not be a major factor in itself. But as this series
    matures the effect should decrease.

The biggest reasons for the tiny mintages are more likely the high cost of the metal and the relative
    dearth of investors who are bullish on platinum. Unsurprisingly this has led to a large consumption of
    these coins by industrial or other users and a high attrition.

It's an interesting situation and probably unstable.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Good points. But, let's not forget that most of the other coins on that "top 25" list were also unfavored when they were released. None better to point out than #2 on that list the Jackie Robinson $5 Gold Commem which saw relatively little buying when the coin was released close to 10 years ago for a few hundred dollars. The coin now trades close to $4,000 in PCGS-MS69, having rises nearly every month for the past so many years.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭
    I think that one point being overlooked is "collectability". It does not matter what the mintage is if it is not a popular series. Even with a mintage of 250,000 for the new silver eagle, that is low relative to the number of people collecting the series. Just like the 1909 S vdb penny.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

Bet if they limited purchases to one each, and used a lottery to settle oversubscriptions, there'd be a lot less excitement.
  • Options

<< <i>No. I collect coins-which to me means- cents, nickels, dimes, quarters, half dollars, dollars,real gold "coins" (i.e. Pre-1934 vintage)etc., that were made for and used in circulation. While the mint can parade any modern commemm or gold eagle as a "coin" that technically has face value, they are not used in commerce and in my mind disqualifies them as real coins. Sure you can spend them if you want -has anyone ever spent a modern silver commemm or gold eagle? A mintage of 10,000 "coins" that will always be BU67-70 or Proof67-70, does not inspire me as much as a real coin with a mintage of say 2-5 million, with only a few hundred at most Bu 63 or better, survivors. Perhaps a lot of barber coins fit this category--a much better investment. ( and i dont like barber coins all that much-just using them as an example) JMHO. Bobimage >>

They don't call them BU67-70 anymore. Hahaha! Showing your age, are you?

Just ribbin' ya!

Jonathan
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.
  • Options
    Full steps,

About 8 of the listed items are 3-5x issue or higher.

I don't understand the second question.

Eric
  • Options
    Wonder coin,

You asked if the 04s or 05s will come in lower after final figures come out. I can only give you the data that I have and base my opionion on.

#1 The mint for years has not had final numbers for the public until after the end of the fiscal year in which the coin in question finished sales. Thats late 06 for the 05s. Any data that comes out prior to that is suspect. For example the office of public affairs called the final mintage of the 04s 6091, 5095, 5226, 7202 from may 2004 to the first quarter of this year even though they were told that those numbers were from the weekly sales report of April 4th 2004. They did not include the last 3 days of sales or the returns. They insisted that the numbers were final for over a year even though they were not and were notified of their error.

#2 The final sales report that we were tracking shows the numbers listed in my chart. The weekly sales report numbers were well behaved for months prior to the final week. From these numbers must be subtracted returns. If one is to take the mints current postsing on the 05s at face value then they had about 1,700 returns or 30 percent of total sales returned. As long as I have been tracking returns I have never seen more than 250 pcs returned and 75-100 is typical.

#3 Everyone is taking note of this web site data now but its been up for MONTHS. Sales for the proof plats ended about March 24th if I remember correctly. They gave a 30 day return option after that. I just can't put much stock in the mints numbers when they says they have final finals before the sales and return period is complete.

Don't get me wrong I HOPE THE 05S are 4000 issue coins and surpass the 04s because I have a stack of them but the bottom line is when its all said and done the 05s will come in around 6600, 5600, 6300 7900 respectly IMHO. Now if the Red Book prints the data off the web site showing the 05s as 4,000 issue coins good for us. Problem is I think those that run out and buy them thinking they are that rare will find that in time when the sets are put together that the market has a few 05s left over.

Guys thats the best answer I can give you and I hope it helps.

Best Wishes to you All

Eric

• Options
    There's too much greed at the mint to lower production at all in the absence of a marked price increase, much less to 10K/year. They know exactly where they sit on the supply/demand curve and what the profit will be as a result.

If you posit that there would be no price increase, then yes, I probably would.
    What do you think, Mr. Bigglesworth?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file