Home U.S. Coin Forum

Got this in change today....

Ok, It's a $5 bill and not a coin but the currency forum is dead.... What do you think... did a bank stamp it? Some wacko... ? Does the fed do anything like this before they shread up old bills.... ?

Comments

• SlangNRoxSlangNRox Posts: 774 ✭✭
    I should get a red "Counterfeit" stamp and stamp the reverse of my bills so the cashier doesn't initially see it. That can be interesting.
    I've never seen a stamp like that before.
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>did a bank stamp it? >>

Probably.
  • Stampers can be made at Staples or Office Depot, with any inscription desired.
  • maybe that is the stamp that the treasury puts on worn bills before they shred them. Just an idea
  • Banks routinely pull out well worn currency to be shipped back to the Federal Reserve Bank for destruction. This note may have been pulled from a pile before it was shipped to the FRB.
    Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    do not fold/spindle or mutilate................
  • My professional opinion is that you got hosed by some cashier. If this happened to me, I would have immediately tried to pay using Canadian coins.
  • lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    back in 87' I was a teller at a bank (obtained many silver and silver certficates for my personal collection, btw).
    We would separate old, damaged, and mutilated bills...Every few months the FRB would collect these
    from our branch to destroy them (yeah right). However, I've never seem them stamped this way.
    In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"
  • Thanks for the help... couldn't find anything online that would authenticate a stamp at the Fed-res...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file