Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Its not too late to order the 20th annversary 3 piece gold coin sets!

Comments

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    This to me is another thing that sucks about eBay. Because it creates an instant potential mass market for almost anything, it encourages speculators to hog available supply and shut out true collectors, hoping the latter will pay a LOT of money in the aftermarket.
  • Options
    NumisMeNumisMe Posts: 841 ✭✭
    Looks like someone left the toilet seat up again! image
  • Options
    tizofthetizofthe Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Thats nothing. Check out this guys price.link
    Transactions..
    wondercoin, duffman,PiecesOfMe, Smittys, LogPotato, Bumanchu, Tydye, segoja, Harry779, FullCameo, Twosidestoeverycoin, jmdm1194, rkfish, drewsef, Chrischampeo, Kaelasdad, Ahrensdad, Dabigkahuna, Barbwire, sebrown, mkman123, Gerard
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thats nothing. Check out this guys price.link >>

Well, for his $3200 profit, at least he pays for shipping image What is scary is 689 views of that page already.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    That is what I love about Ebay. I think it's great. Besides, how were true collectors left out of this thing? True collectors knew these were going on sale. It leaves the lazy collectors out of it. Big deal.
  • Options
    Time's Up !--Pink Floyd
  • Options
    I'd like to see the max limit set at one.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    How many sets will be cancelled if those don't sell??

It's way to early. People are pretty stupid, but I don't think anyones going to send these people $5000 for something they will not get for 6 - 8 weeks.

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is what I love about Ebay. I think it's great. Besides, how were true collectors left out of this thing? True collectors knew these were going on sale. It leaves the lazy collectors out of it. Big deal. >>

• Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    Right on, Coasterfan, precisely when the mintage is on the order of 10,000.
    Good idea. That would take care of more of the "true collectors."
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    So far there is already one bid $3100.00 on ebay. The madness starts now!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This to me is another thing that sucks about eBay. Because it creates an instant potential mass market for almost anything, it encourages speculators to hog available supply and shut out true collectors, hoping the latter will pay a LOT of money in the aftermarket. >>

yeah, before ebay, the hog-the-supply was completely covered by the traditional coin dealer. now it's private parties hogging for quick profit.
  • Options
    You will never go broke, Over estimating the intellegence of the American Public---P.T. Barnum
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand any of the complaints I have read here.

Those things were available to anyone with an internet connection (which would be us) for over 24 hours.

If you wanted one (or more) you should have ordered one. If you're mad that someone else is trying to make

a killing, too dang bad, that's what our system is all about. If you want to control the hell out of everything

I'm sure Cuba is still locked down for a little while!
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You will never go broke, Over estimating the intellegence of the American Public---P.T. Barnum >>

Must be early in the morning. You usually get your quotes correct. "You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

--Jerry
  • Options
    KaelasdadKaelasdad Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭
    No one complaining about $6 beer at a ball game, or $3 water at the fair?--when everyone knows if you go to costco or sams club, either is about 20 cents. Thats just a given. But if someone outthinks the other guys who forgot or didnt take the time to get in line for the gold sets, he is a terrible person for doubling his bet? I think in about 3 months when the reality sets in that the only way to get these is going to be either from a dealer or Ebay--a lot will be shopping on Ebay and $5200 will be a bargain. The reverse proof when graded a 70 will probably demand $5000 on its own, and a 3 coin set graded at 70 will be pushing $10,000. So the guys getting any for under $4000 now are still ahead of the ballgame--but just barely.
  • Options
    Doesn't really matter to me anyway.....I can't afford one set anyway.......Can I come over and drool on somebody's set when they arrive?
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    So, if they sold out in less than 24 hours, why is the mint STILL taking orders for the wait list 24 hours past the supposed sell out time. Surely, since it has not been closed down yet, they have accumulated more than 20,000 orders for the 3pc gold set. What next? Will the mint honor their maximum of 10 sets per (thus cutting off nearly everone on the wait list with the exception of the first few who get lucky due to errors in credit card numbers, expired credit cards, or over the limit credit cards)?

Or, once they see the undoubtedly HUGE wait-list, will they being rationing on a more stringent basis in an effort to accommodate individual collectors as opposed to dealers?

My order for 2 sets is "early" on the wait-list. The mint's web page yesterday indicated mine would ship on 9/15. Today, it indicates shipping on 9/16. I'm wondering if it will really happen or not...

EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • Options
    It pretty much renders that letter I got from the mint, for doing a mail order of these things, a moot point doesn't it?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file