Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has Anyone Dealt with High Pressure Telemarketers???

When delivering coins to a client this morning, he received a telesales call from a very aggressive guy promoting a "hot deal" on a particular $20 gold coin in NGC AU55 that was "at the absolute high end of the grade." (Then why wasn't it in a 58 slab?) At least he emailed an image of the coin (well a photocopy of the slab - couldn't see much detail but still asked my client to note the extra sharp strike). The price he was asking - $6,950- is way, way above list in any retail price guide I could find (which ranged from a low of $3,710 at Numismedia to a high of $4,500 in Coin Values). And, when I checked Heritage's auctions, a coin slabbed by NGC in that grade most recently auctioned for $3,220. And that was in June! The company he said he was with had no website. (But I did find a location using WHOIS.) The telemarking firm is about a mile away from a very, very similarly named company - 1st American Reserve in Beaumont, TX, (thank you Google Maps), which in turn is next door to Universal Bullion.

As someone who offers portfolios of quality coins at fair prices to investors, I hate to see the industry impacted by what appeared to be an attempt to prey on a customer's ignorance. (Reminds me of the old Wall Street boiler room operations.) Perhaps this was an isolated event, but I wonder if it is common. Have any collectors, investors or dealers had similar experiences with this unmentioned or other like firms?

GForce

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I get calls from these sleazebags every day, and not just coins. I got one today from a scam outfit called "Domain Registry Support". They work out of boiler rooms in India and try to con domain name owners in to giving up their names. I decided to see how long he'd keep talking once I started repeating "no thanks" in rapid succession. He was still talking when I hung up on him.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Back in the late '80s early '90s, a sales rep from Heritage used to call me 3/4 times a week trying to sell
    me stand liberty quarters.

It became so annoying I told him I had sold my set.
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    JBatDavidLawrenceJBatDavidLawrence Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strangely enough, while working for a large coin company, I once got a personalized call from one of these guys offering me 1/10 oz gold coins at about 3-5 times their value, because they were in pcgs or ngc 69 holders...i laughed and said no thanks...
    John Brush
    President of David Lawrence Rare Coins www.davidlawrence.com
    email: John@davidlawrence.com
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    There is one I think called 1st Capitol Reserve. They keep calling me saying they have a great new upgrade for my registered collection. They tried to sell me an NGC AU58 1909-O half eagle for $19,000. Legend has a very nice for the grade one right now for $13,000 in a PCGS holder.

This is only one example I get at least a couple calls a month.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    1-800-DO-NOT-CALL

Ever since I signed up, the only calls I get are surveys (see below for my response) and political stuff, both of which are exempt from the Do Not Call Law.

What happens when someone calls with a survey?

I ask them, "Do you get paid for asking me these questions?"

They respond,"Well, yes I do. That's my job."

To which I reply, "So how much are you going to pay me to answer them?" (end of call)
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I let them talk talk talk and let them think they are going to make a sale.

Then I tell them in a stern voice - and very quickly - to "take me off your list and kiss my a$$ you slimeball".
    Seems to work - they don't call back.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    With all the "scams" mentioned, are any message board members aware of laws/regulations that might prohibit high pressure tactics to sell numismatic products at prices far above market? Or, do we simply have to learn to live with the flotsam and jetsam of the numismatic world?
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    There are two procedures for handling such televermin:

1. As they are talking, aim your trusty air horn at the telephone receiver and press the horn's button. This is very effective at "deleting" your number form the telemarketer's list of victims.

2. Again, as they are talking, place the telephone handset in a plastic bag and seal the bag closed. The telemarketer will suffocate.
  • Options

<< <i>Again, as they are talking, place the telephone handset in a plastic bag and seal the bag closed. The telemarketer will suffocate. >>

imageimage

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

• Options
    These guys are in the same class as the Charity Paid Solicitors, only on a larger scale. I just tell them NO one time and then hang-up.
    Gary
  • Options

<< <i>There are two procedures for handling such televermin:

1. As they are talking, aim your trusty air horn at the telephone receiver and press the horn's button. This is very effective at "deleting" your number form the telemarketer's list of victims.

2. Again, as they are talking, place the telephone handset in a plastic bag and seal the bag closed. The telemarketer will suffocate. >>

Excellent solutions, especially the second one. But seriously, is anyone aware of applicable regulations?
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In many cases they're just a poor slob trying to make a buck. No hostility, No anger, I just tell them ,"I do not accept cold calls."
  • Options
    Yes, it's called 1-800 or 866 Block or Caller ID !
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Thankfully I don't get such calls.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    If you don't hang up, then they just have to keep talking.

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Quality coins will sell themselves at fair market value. Anything that needs "high pressure" to sell isn't worth the asking price.
  • Options
    My Mom told me that she was getting calls from one of these boiler room dirtbags. He told her that he knew that I was a collector and that the coins that he was selling would make great gifts for her to get for me. This was going on for a couple of months and I told her not to buy anything from them as they were nothing more than scam artists. Then low and behold, I was at her house for a family get-together and the scumbag called, I went off on him in a tirade of so many four-letter-words that the whole house went silent. Suffice it to say, the scum never called back.

To this day I don't know for sure how they got my Moms phone number or how they knew that I was a collector. I believe they got the information from a company that I purchased some coins through that I won't name because I'm not 100% sure it was them that sold my information.

The company is in a "Little Town" though.image

Jim
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>These guys are in the same class as the Charity Paid Solicitors >>

When those call, I always ask if they are a non-profit organization. When they say yes, I respond with "Good, so am I. Can you send me some money?"

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>He told her that he knew that I was a collector and that the coins that he was selling would make great gifts for her to get for me >>

Very good point. As a result, I have instructed my loved ones to NEVER buy a coin over the phone, from the local newspaper, or on TV. The damn scumbags are everywhere.

• Options
    I had one place that kept calling and even though I made it clear I wasn't interested they would call back a few days later. This was long before the do-not-call list. After about the 5th call I just said I wasn't interested and set the phone down but didn't hang it up. I could still just barely hear the voice but not what they were saying and the idiot talked for about 5 minutes before he realized nobody was listening. Never heard from him again.
    1969s WCLR-001 counterclash
  • Options
    I don't have the problem anymore because of where I live but when I was in CA even though I was on the Do Not Call list I still got a bunch of "legal" calls. My way of dealing with them was simple. The split second I figure out they aren't friend, family, or work I hang up the phone. Elegant and so simple.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    In this case, I don't believe its someone in India. It is a group of 8 associated coin/bullion businesses located in Beaumont, Texas. They all advertise heavily in all things "coin" related. I ended up on their "list" when I ordered a slabbed ASE from them listed in a magazine. The shame of it is, that if they would actually offer me something decent at a fair price they might have a customer. Instead its always high pressure and WAY higher than should be pricing.

For the "true" collectors and dealers here; its outfits like this that give the hobby a bad reputation and scare off "wouldbe newbies™ " from entering.
  • Options
    Just yell in the phone "baaaa....." as loud as you can. Telemarketers disappear and this works with bill collectors too....Oh and the guy in Cali who was complaining about a coin LOL that unfortunately his return priveledge had expired.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    When they call me, I listen for a few seconds, then I interupt and say "Can you hold on for a second?" and then I lay the phone down, hit the mute button and click over to speakphone.

I get a kick out of seeing how long some of them actually stay on the line before they figure out I am not coming back.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    i used to hate answering the phone out of fear it would be a telemarketer, im not good at being rude, then one day i sat down and thought of a list of ways to "politely" but efficently end the call. now i run FOR the phone.

one of the best is just playing complete stupidity, appear interested but keep asking the caller to repeat things, act distracted, act hard of hearing, ask a series of questions but ask each one ten different ways, they know when a call is a waste of thier time and they WILL hang up on YOU. of course if you jot down the number while you are "acting interested" you can call back and complain to a supervisor that you were hung up on.

my favorite is when they ask for you by name, i always say, "oh i dont live here, im just robbing the place" or "if this is about those bad checks, i can give you the number of the attorney that is handling my bankruptcy"

if it a woman always insist that she is actually your grandmother playing a trick on you, then go into a conversation about how much fun the kids had last year when she visited and how the smell still wont come out of the couch where she had her "accident"

if it is a guy you can tell him something like the government has my phone tapped so i'd rather talk about this in person what state he is in, and you could stop by his office because your aunt edna lives near there and if he can give you directions from ednas house to his office you can meet with him then just bombard him with "im not really sure what city she lives in but there is a school near by and a factory, "it must be close to you"

use your imagination !

they are VERY well trained to NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER but they arent trained to handle off the wall crap like that

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1-800-DO-NOT-CALL Ever since I signed up, the only calls I get are surveys (see below for my response) and political stuff, both of which are exempt from the Do Not Call Law. What happens when someone calls with a survey? I ask them, "Do you get paid for asking me these questions?" They respond,"Well, yes I do. That's my job." To which I reply, "So how much are you going to pay me to answer them?" (end of call) >>

I tried that a time or two and didn't amuse anyone so now I tell them that I'm willing to give my opinion and my opinion is that they should not be exempt from do-not-call legislation. click.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always tell them the only thing I collect are rare Morgan VAMs.

If they persist (not very often) and ask what I'm looking for, I tell them I'm anxious to buy things like 1889 VAM 23A or 1921-D VAM 1X in any grade -- which, of course, I doubt they've ever heard of and there's basically zero chance they will ever so much as see one in their lifetime.

It seems to piss them off that I come across as a willing and sincere buyer for the right material, but they're clueless about what it is or where to get it.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have caller ID so many times if I don't know the caller I simply answer "telemarketing research". Blows their mind every time and THEY hang up. image OH GAWD I LOVE IT!!!
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    I've gotten them from a coin boiler room here in Fla image
  • Options
    We finally got so sick of telemarketing phone calls that we got rid of our land line and now just use cell phones.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once I had RC Wholesalers pester me following the 2003 ANA (I was dumb enough to fill out some paperwork). There were lots of promises of attentive salesmen with their pulse on the market and getting the right coins. After a couple of calls promising to get me their top guy.....who by the way never did call......it died a slow death.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    my method...

Get rid of your land line. Get a cell phone. They can't call those without getting fined. Your carrier will go after them.

BN
    ---------------------------------------------
    Web Application Architect - ColdFusion, AJAX, CSS, XHTML, JavaScript, Oracle, MySQL
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a telemarketer call me about ten years ago. He spent a good ten minutes not letting me talk and giving me this spill on how awesome of a deal some franklin half bank wrapped rolls were. I remember specificly him saying that they "sacrificed" a roll and found some 64's that were almost full bell line and almost 65, and if they had made 65FBL they would be worth thousands. I eventually grew tired of it and stopped the dude and said, "You know what. This isnt my thing. Why dont you try ebay. That's a great place to liquidate junk." He hung up on me.

-David
  • Options
    JSssonJSsson Posts: 891
    I find that the best way to deal with unwanted calls is to just hang up on them or at the least tell them that you aren't buying coins anymore. Saying that seems to get them to stop calling you.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Atlantic Coin Gallery out of Lindenhurst NY
    Coin World Slabs...

My brother is the victim just last week.
  • Options
    I got a call from a sleazebag trying to sell me gold american eagle coins. He was clearly trying to rip me off. I told him I was not interested, however, I did tell him that I wanted a gold coin with a picture of his mother in ultra cameo. I was laughing my ass off at his reaction.
    GUINZO1975
  • Options

<< <i>use your imagination !

they are VERY well trained to NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER but they arent trained to handle off the wall crap like that >>

'tis true.... I usually start off by interupting & asking if they're HOT?? They usually get so flustered they just quietly disconnect... otherwise, it only takes 1 or 2 more questions. image
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Another method (other than putting the phone in a plastic bag and suffocating the jerk) is to sell them a time share in Florid
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Although I am on the Do Not Call List, I still get a yearly call from the Fraternal Order of Police. I always give money to my local volunteer workers, but I don't know anything about this organization. I am all for supporting the police (my brother is a cop), but I don't like the threatening nature of the calls. They always start off with, "Hello, Mr. Longacre, this is Officer XXX and we are on a recorded line for your protection...". I always want to ask why exactly I need protecting, but I never get around to it. So I simply say that there are certain organizations that I support each year and although they are a worthy cause, unfortunately they are not on my list of approved organizations. They still come back with, "why can't you just send $5 or something", which is even more annoying, and then I hang up.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options

...1st givaway that it is a telemarketer...a 1-3 second silent delay after answering the phone followed by a click or a hum followed by a voice...

...they always start by asking to speak with Larry Greenstone or Mr. Greenstone...

...I always reply "No, you can not speak with him" and then just sit and listen to them stammer (not too much in their playbook to deal with a blunt response like that)...I do not say another word...they always hang up...

...since I started doing that I have gotten very few calls...image
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    Use this website and register your numbers.

National Do Not Call Registry
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    My father-in-law refuses to get on the national do not call registry. He gets the calls and when they ask him if Mr. Meade is there, he'll just tell them that this is Mr. Schmidt and Mr. Meade is in prison and then will just proceed to talk at them and ask them inane questions until they hang up. He does the same thing with Missionaries that come to his door.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    emarsh, the new dead thread resuscitator.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I decided to see how long he'd keep talking once I started repeating "no thanks" in rapid succession. He was still talking when I hung up on him.

Russ, NCNE >>

heehee, nice trick. I'll have to try that!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    TJM965TJM965 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Although I am on the Do Not Call List, I still get a yearly call from the Fraternal Order of Police. I always give money to my local volunteer workers, but I don't know anything about this organization. I am all for supporting the police (my brother is a cop), but I don't like the threatening nature of the calls. They always start off with, "Hello, Mr. Longacre, this is Officer XXX and we are on a recorded line for your protection...". I always want to ask why exactly I need protecting, but I never get around to it. So I simply say that there are certain organizations that I support each year and although they are a worthy cause, unfortunately they are not on my list of approved organizations. They still come back with, "why can't you just send $5 or something", which is even more annoying, and then I hang up.[/q I used to give to the local police every year. Then one of them made a u turn in traffic to stop me and treat me like I was one of the 10 most wanted, because I did not have my seat belt on. This was just after the law was passed and I was doing 20 miles an hour, going 1/2 a mile to the restaurant. Now when they call, I tell them I gave at the courthouse. That ticket actually has saved me and cost them much over the years.
  • Options
    I would never advise anyone to give up their land line because 911 does not work the same from an IP phone or a cell phone. I know many people that have, but make sure you know all of the facts before you do it (just like you would before buying an expensive coin).

The Do Not Call list works well, but I also pay $14/month for a second phone line that has no phone attached to it (I use it for DSL) and I give out that number unless I really want to talk to someone, then I'll give out my "real" number or cell number. I had an answering machine on it and used to enjoy listening to the frustrated telemarketers call repeatedly, but it stopped working so I guess it just rings.
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I listen to them intently. When they are done, I don't say anything.
    When I hear that voice say : " Hello " ? ... "Hello ?"...
    I remember : Silence is Golden. They just disconnect and I wait patiently for the next one.
  • Options
    I used to get calls from a company trying to sell me unc. rolls of Franklins. I kept telling them I wasn't interested and did not collect Franklins. After a year or so I started to let them go through their whole sales line and asked them what part of I wasn't interested did they not understand. They finally quit calling.
    "Im not young enough to know everything."
    Oscar Wilde

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i luv it when they call me. i get to have a ton of fun at their expense.

K S
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1st American Reserve in Beaumont, TX >>

That's the place that calls me every month. since I have nothing better to do most of the time I'll just bring up ebay auctions for the same item for half the price. Goes something like 'why would I buy yours when ebay auction #xxxxxxxx has it for xxxx.' After a while I'll ask what it's like working in a boiler room outfit. Sometimes he tells me that it sucks. Sometimes just a long silence then click.

Or I'll ask for a roll of 99 W $5 Eagles and that I'll pay $5k for it. He was happy about that and proclaimed 'I'll be getting back with you real soon on that deal'. The next month he thanked me for the 99W $5 education and spoke of the laughter around the place when he ask and quoted a bid. Only to find out weeks of searching later they were laughing at him not me the buyer as he thought.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file