Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I have a question for those of you who think MOC is evil incarnate.

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
Do you own any of Breen's works? Ever used Breen's research? Quoted Breen's information here at the forums?

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• Options
    No, No, and No. However I also do not think MOC is "evil incarnate" I think he simply made a really poor judgement that he will regret for a long time to come!

Zach
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Walter was in a completely different league. He was not one bit apologetic for his transgressions. But they had nothing to do with coins except for the victims who were YNs or kids of fellow numismatists.

MoC's problem wasn't just what he did to the coins and hte buyers. He wasn't man of coins enough to stand up and admit what he did when he was caught, but stammered on about some trusted local dealer whose fault it really was. Unless he's schizophrenic, that is pretty much a lie that compounds it all. Sure, he fessed up when pressed further, but would he have otherwise? Doubt it.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May I still answer if I think what MOC did is a minor detail?
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although I don't think of MOC as evil incarnate (I really don't know much about him) I am nevertheless able to separate Breen's work from his personal problems.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Walter Breen was not in the daycare business.
  • Options

<< <i>I am nevertheless able to separate Breen's work from his personal problems. >>

Personal problems? He raped children.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    No ..no. and emphaticaly no ....his research should not be used..JMO
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you own any of Breen's works? Ever used Breen's research? Quoted Breen's information here at the forums? >>

Yes, Yes, No

I have not commented on the MOC mess, mostly since I am not into toned coins anyway. I have found the whole debate both interesting and informative.
    I'm not sure your analogy is a good one, since Breen's "problems" were unrelated to his numismatic activity.

Greg
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breen was a ped?
  • Options

<< <i>Breen was a ped? >>

Yes, and far more than just once.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

For once and for all, yes. He died in prison.
  • Options
    Great. Another MOC Thread.

• Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

For once and for all, yes. He died in prison. >>

Good. Although I wish he would have suffered more trama.
  • Options

<< <i>No ..no. and emphaticaly no ....his research should not be used..JMO >>

Gemini,do you own a Red Book? If so throw it away you are using his research. In fact youwill probably have to throw away most every coin book and magazine in your library. Breens research was so prevasive it is in most everything relating to US numismatics.
  • Options

<< <i>

Gemini,do you own a Red Book? If so throw it away you are using his research. In fact youwill probably have to throw away most every coin book and magazine in your library. Breens research was so prevasive it is in most everything relating to US numismatics. >>

Yes I do own a red book.Unfortunately some researchers delve into sadistic and inhumane lifestyles.Censorship is not a goal of mine.
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    TRUST, If your spouse was doing someone else would you still trust them.

TRUST, If someone tones slabbed coins would you still trust them.

TRUST, If your kid steals from you, do you still trust them

Could go on forever

If you trust a thief, don't complain when they rob you

Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you own any of Breen's works? Ever used Breen's research? Quoted Breen's information here at the forums?

Russ, NCNE >>

I sprayed Lysol™ on my copy of Breen's before I opened it.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeeze I think Craig should be highly upset about having a MOC thread with a comparison to walter "I'll touch your kids" breen.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. I guess you learn something new every day.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Great, another MOC thread.™
  • Options

<< <i>Jeeze I think Craig should be highly upset about having a MOC thread with a comparison to walter "I'll touch your kids" breen. >>

I'm not comparing him to Breen. I'm illuminating the hypocrisy displayed by some of the members here. Hey, if people are going to wave their flag of ethics and morality, who do so at half-mast?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>Yes I do own a red book.Unfortunately some researchers delve into sadistic and inhumane lifestyles.Censorship is not a goal of mine. >>

Odd since you're the one who said:

If you so emphatically believe his research should not be used, why do you keep using it? Because you think to censor and not use someone work that you think should not be used? I'm confused image
  • Options
    I would never compare MOC to anyone who has destoyed the lives of our children. That is simply an absurd comparision. As far as coins go, MOC has shown me why I have always hated going to a proctologist.
  • Options

<< <i>I would never compare MOC to anyone who has destoyed the lives of our children. >>

It's been stated that what he did is equivalent to a stalker abducting a girl by luring her from a teenage chatroom. But, that's not the point of this thread.

The point is that many who are leveling these vicious attacks, that are way out of proportion to the offense, are the very same people who have no qualms about benefiting from the work of a convicted pedophile.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's been stated that what he did is equivalent to a stalker abducting a girl by luring her from a teenage chatroom. But, that's not the point of this thread. >>

No, that was not the point made.

MOC apparently sold his coins with AT without disclosing it.
    Laura made the point that the lack of disclosure, and presence here on this forum posting like a trustworthy guy was misleading - and played on the gullability of people.
    Your analogy with Breen's pedophilia is an example of flawed logic. If Breen used numismatics to abuse children, your analogy would work. I don't know many details of Breen's life, but I do not believe that is the case?

Greg

edited for grammar
    Finem Respice

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file