Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

did you ever see a dealer thumb someones coin

just curious

Comments

• Options
    Not Familiar with the term ? Is this good, like thumbs UP or not ?
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349

<< <i>Not Familiar with the term ? Is this good, like thumbs UP or not ? >>

It's a practice used to put body oils on a coin to hide hairlines or evidence of cleaning.

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    when the dealer is looking at your coin he rubs his thumb...very sneakily across the the obverse to lower it's appearance
  • Options

<< <i>when the dealer is looking at your coin he rubs his thumb...very sneakily across the the obverse to lower it's appearance >>

I think Amanda has it right. Look at the post above yours.

• Options
    No, all of my coins are in Plastic ! Thumbs have no effect !
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    worse!
    i inquired about a 1912 s v 5c at a flea market once and noted the coin was maybe too dirty looking for me
    where upon the dealer stated ` oh, it,ll clean up nice` then walked away for a sec then returned to show how it would `clean up`
    he took to whizzing the coin with steel wool right in front of me!. i was totally speechless...shocked more like it really.
    i just sorta smiled and politely declined the offer.
    guess he didnt know what he was doing was VERY bad, or he thought i might like the coin better after he `cleaned it up`
    the whole ordeal just freaked me out.
  • Options
    dantheman984dantheman984 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭
    Now That`s Funny!!!image
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    Cam40's story makes me cry. image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>worse!
    i inquired about a 1912 s v 5c at a flea market once and noted the coin was maybe too dirty looking for me
    where upon the dealer stated ` oh, it,ll clean up nice` then walked away for a sec then returned to show how it would `clean up`
    he took to whizzing the coin with steel wool right in front of me!. i was totally speechless...shocked more like it really.
    i just sorta smiled and politely declined the offer.
    guess he didnt know what he was doing was VERY bad, or he thought i might like the coin better after he `cleaned it up`
    the whole ordeal just freaked me out.
    >>

I'd have told him that he decreased the value by this.

Pushing a little oil into a coin will serve to clean it and help hide old cleaning. It will
    usually give it a more natural appearance. Of course this should not be done to un-
    circulated or proof coins and zinc should be stabilized in alcohol afterward.

Like with all cleaning there might be something under the dirt that's even uglier so some
    learning is required to do it properly.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thumbing is used on a coin like a Morgan dollar with shinny bag marks on the cheek. The body oils and heat from the friction of rubbing the thumb against the coin will dull the shinny spots and make them less noticable against the frosty background of Ms Liberty's cheek. Its an attempt to make the coin appear to have a higher grade than it deserves.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    i saw a dealer, real flamboyant type with the gold chains, rolex, etc. ask another dealer for a look at a bu morgan at a show. he took the coin out of the flip, promptly tossed it across the room against a wall, and muttering about what a pos it was, paid the astounded dealer for the marked price of the coin.

same guy, while sitting at the bar, asked another dealer how much he paid for his quartz watch. "$10", and he says, let me see it and 2nd dealer hands it over. he drops it into the guy's drink and hands him a twenty to buy a better one.

not quite as sneaky as thumbing someone's coin.
  • Options
    No but he dipped a roll of silver halves in front of me I had just bought from him - now thats service.
  • Options

no
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No but he dipped a roll of silver halves in front of me I had just bought from him - now thats service. >>

Were you acting as a dealer when he did this or a collector? From a lot of your posts, I would say you fancy yourself a dealer, so, if that is the case, did you ask him to dip them for you?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I had a dipped uncirculated 1872 indian cent that was clearly pink. The dealer, at the Long Beach show, proceeded to take oil from the outside of his nose and rub it in to the coin. I could not believe she would do this right in front of me. She then said she was not interested in the coin.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    is that a die gouge on hootchiegirl's heading pic? or is this old news?
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    lsicalsica Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i saw a dealer, real flamboyant type with the gold chains, rolex, etc. ask another dealer for a look at a bu morgan at a show. he took the coin out of the flip, promptly tossed it across the room against a wall >>

What is UP with these dealers who think they can just throw around coins? Are they just so damned arrogant? If it was MY coin, there'd be broken bones. If it was someone elses coin, I'd look at the dealer and let him know what an ass he was
    Philately will get you nowhere....
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, I had a dipped uncirculated 1872 indian cent that was clearly pink. The dealer, at the Long Beach show, proceeded to take oil from the outside of his nose and rub it in to the coin. I could not believe she would do this right in front of me. She then said she was not interested in the coin.

Tom >>

You should have reached into your nose, grabbed a woog and rubbed it on one of her display cases. In front of her of course.

"to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes, I had a dipped uncirculated 1872 indian cent that was clearly pink. The dealer, at the Long Beach show, proceeded to take oil from the outside of his nose and rub it in to the coin. I could not believe she would do this right in front of me. She then said she was not interested in the coin.

Tom >>

You should have reached into your nose, grabbed a woog and rubbed it on one of her display cases. In front of her of course. >>

I would have asked to see the most expensive proof in her display case and returned the favor. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>is that a die gouge on hootchiegirl's heading pic? or is this old news? >>

That is the 1917 ty1 picture of Hootchiegirl image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file