Home Sports Talk
Options

So OK, yeah I'll Get some Dudes Initials Tattooed On My Leg

Not that there's anything wrong with "that"!!!

BTW - I have a tattoo and will most likely get one or two more, but no names, Mom, and certainly not the name of some guy I went to school with.

Aug. 31, 2006, 8:10AM

UT friendship leaves mark on Simms, Shanahan
College tattoos keep Bucs QB, Texans assistant bonded for life
By JOHN MCCLAIN
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Chris Simms and Kyle Shanahan became such good friends at the University of Texas that they have their initials tattooed on each other's lower leg.

Simms, the Tampa Bay quarterback who will play briefly in tonight's preseason game against the Texans, enters the season as a starter for the first time since 2002, his last year with the Longhorns.

Shanahan, who was a quality control coach for the Buccaneers the last two years, is in his first season as the Texans' receivers coach.

"We're best friends, and we'll be best friends for life," Simms said about Shanahan this week. "We hit it off from day one. We had a common bond in that our fathers (former New York Giants quarterback Phil Simms and Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan) have been such a big part of the NFL for a long time.

"We talk at least once a week. We're obsessed with the game. We have a great love for football, and we're constantly talking about it."

Both players remember when they went with three other close friends and UT teammates — tight end Bo Scaife, defensive back Rod Babers and receiver Montrell Flowers — to get their tattoos.

"Kyle was a real wimp about it," Simms said. "He got a small one on his ankle. He was afraid his mom and dad would see it, so he keeps it hidden underneath his socks."

Shanahan has a different version of the experience in which each player got the initials of the other four tattooed on his lower leg.

"Let me tell you what really happened," Shanahan said. "Chris was dying to get a tattoo. When we got to the (tattoo parlor), I was the only one who already didn't have one. It wasn't any big deal for the others.

"I had to be a man about it. I got one out of loyalty to my buddies. Now, Chris, he got one the size of his calf, but I didn't want one that big because I didn't want to show off."

Indelibly inked

Before the Texans' kickoff luncheon at the Hyatt Regency Downtown on Wednesday, Shanahan lifted his pants leg to display the tattoo that binds him with his four close friends and former teammates.

"I met Chris for the first time right after I transferred to Texas (from Duke) in January (of 2000)," Shanahan said. "I was the new wide receiver, and one day I was in the dressing room. Chris came up, introduced himself and asked if I'd run some routes for him. I said, 'Sure.'

"Later, he invited me out to dinner. We hit it off immediately, and we've been best friends ever since."

When Simms was heavily criticized as a Longhorns quarterback who never did measure up the way UT fans demanded, Shanahan suffered with him.

"I'm so proud of Chris," Shanahan said. "He's one of the most mentally tough guys I've ever met. He experienced a lot of negativism in college, and I think it made him stronger and more determined.

"No matter what happened, no matter what was said about him, Chris always managed to stay focused."

Disappointed no more

When the Buccaneers used the last pick in the third round of the 2003 draft on Simms, he was devastated to be taken that low.

"Knowing what kind of guy he is, knowing how hard he worked and seeing what he went through, he deserves everything he's getting now," Shanahan said.

If new Longhorns quarterback Colt McCoy wanted advice from a predecessor, he might be better off asking Simms rather than Vince Young. Simms' experience was much tougher than Young's.

"I would tell him (McCoy) to just play the game, to work hard, to listen to his coaches and to not read the local papers or watch the local news," Simms said. "There are going to be ups and downs. Learn from them. And most of all, just have fun."

Like other Longhorns, Simms celebrated last season's national championship.

"I was watching the game on the couch getting ready for our playoff game against the Redskins," he said. "I can't tell you how excited I was.

"Like everyone else watching, I was up and down. At times, I was cussing at the screen. At other times, I was cheering like crazy. When it was over, I was drained. I was just so happy. I couldn't believe we actually pulled it off."

Simms has a prediction for the Ohio State-Texas game on Sept. 9 at Austin.

"Texas 31, Ohio State 27," he said.

Looking back on the start of his NFL career, Simms benefited highly from being drafted at the end of the third round. He is playing for coach Jon Gruden, who is one of the league's best quarterback coaches. And Simms is starting for a playoff team that has Super Bowl aspirations.

Learning experience

"Coming here was a blessing in disguise," he said. "For lack of a better phrase, it (being drafted so low) does light my fire a little. I've learned so much, like how to handle myself on a day-to-day basis.

"Coach is a perfectionist. He's a tremendous worker, and he's relentless. The passion he has for the game is contagious. He's always going to be tough on his quarterbacks. He challenges you every day. He sure knows which one of my buttons to push."

This trip to Houston gives Simms special satisfaction, even though he is not expected to play much. He is the starting quarterback for a Super Bowl contender.

"This is a great opportunity for me to come back to Texas," he said. "I get to see a lot of old friends and, to a certain extent, show some of the doubters that I can play in this league."

Comments

• Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    I went to HS with a group of idiots who called themselves "The Crew." When they graduated they all got it tatooed on their arms. Every single one of them was a huge tool yet they all pulled more hot tang than anyone else I know.

I guess that's part of the mystery of women.
    Travis
  • Options

<< <i>I went to HS with a group of idiots who called themselves "The Crew." When they graduated they all got it tatooed on their arms. Every single one of them was a huge tool yet they all pulled more hot tang than anyone else I know.

I guess that's part of the mystery of women. >>

Actually my wife convinced me to get my tattoo. She got two at that time also.

Go figure.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"We're best friends, and we'll be best friends for life," Simms said about Shanahan this week. "We hit it off from day one. We had a common bond in that our fathers (former New York Giants quarterback Phil Simms and Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan) have been such a big part of the NFL for a long time.

"We talk at least once a week. We're obsessed with the game. We have a great love for football, and we're constantly talking about it."

Both players remember when they went with three other close friends and UT teammates — tight end Bo Scaife, defensive back Rod Babers and receiver Montrell Flowers — to get their tattoos.

"Kyle was a real wimp about it," Simms said. "He got a small one on his ankle. He was afraid his mom and dad would see it, so he keeps it hidden underneath his socks." >>

how sweet. BFF
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    now to get someone's name put on you that has passed...that's homage..

to get your friends from college that are still kicking...that's homoge..
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I wonder if donovan mcnabb had this done, would phillyfan feel the same way?

But since it's a bucs player, somehow it's to be ridiculed?

Pure comedy.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭

<< <i>now to get someone's name put on you that has passed...that's homage..

to get your friends from college that are still kicking...that's homoge.. >>

LMAO

He can cover it up with the championship ring he'll get come February!

JS
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder if donovan mcnabb had this done, would phillyfan feel the same way?

But since it's a bucs player, somehow it's to be ridiculed?

Pure comedy. >>

Doesn't the article mention that several players on the Longhorns did this? Another article from a Tampa area paper in early August does. Simms just got the highlight and it sure will haunt him.

So, what will it be for you?

Arod on one cheek and T.O. on the other.

Then, once you learn to kiss your own a$$ you'll be in heaven.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have my ex-girlfriend's name Margarita CarolAnne Schwartzenagle tatooed on my private area. What a mistake that was.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>now to get someone's name put on you that has passed...that's homage..

to get your friends from college that are still kicking...that's homoge.. >>

LMAO

He can cover it up with the championship ring he'll get come February!

JS >>

They make rings now for your leg?

I suppose he could buy one on Ebay because he'll never get one any other way.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>
    Doesn't the article mention that several players on the Longhorns did this? Another article from a Tampa area paper in early August does. Simms just got the highlight and it sure will haunt him.
    >>

Yet, it's the mention of a Bucs player that got your panties in a twist. If this didn't have anyone from the Bucs' team on it, you'd not be posting it. But, in a move out of pure jealousy, you posted it. What's it like to be that petty and spiteful?

<< <i>So, what will it be for you?

Arod on one cheek and T.O. on the other.

Then, once you learn to kiss your own a$$ you'll be in heaven. >>

Sorry, not my thing. Though it seems you are such a simpleton your wife was able to convince you to get a nice butterfly tattoo on your arm.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Ax, who are you trying to kid? If it was McNabb or Jeter that got the tattoo, you'd be making certain insinuations ...

BTW, not that their is anything wrong with the Simms thing, but that is GAY!
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    could simms be gay ? I'm a bucs fan and even I thought he looked kinda gay
    Real recognize REAL
  • Options

<< <i>I went to HS with a group of idiots who called themselves "The Crew." When they graduated they all got it tatooed on their arms. Every single one of them was a huge tool yet they all pulled more hot tang than anyone else I know.

I guess that's part of the mystery of women. >>

You know, the EXACT SAME THING happened at my high school. Same name for the group and everything.

-Ian
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have my ex-girlfriend's name Margarita CarolAnne Schwartzenagle tatooed on my private area. What a mistake that was. >>

If you can fit that on your private area, then I'm jealous.
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    Gay? Maybe, but who cares...

Queer? Most certainly.

But I guess that's appropriate because he does play for the Tampa Bay FugginQueers