Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I really like this "collecting New Orleans gold by variety" stuff

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
I was taking a look at the new Doug Winter book on New Orleans gold. I am systematically going through my massive collection and checking the attributes of my coins against the information in the book. I like how Winter has included variety information in his new book. Although I don't think that collecting N.O. gold by variety will catch on, I do find it interesting to check my pieces against what he has in the book. Let's take the 1852-O quarter eagle as an example. Winter says that there are two varieties:

Variety 1: The date is placed fairly high and slants slightly downward to the right. The 1 is close to the neck, while the 2 is distant. The mintmark is impressed normally. The tip of the fraction bar is aligned with the middle of the mintmark and the arrow feathers pierce it at the top left. This is the scarcer of the two varieties (cha-ching image ).

Here is a coin that I own. I think it is Variety 1:

Variety 2: The obverse is the same as on Variety 1. The mintmark is very heavily impressed and appears to have been entered by hand in New Orleans. It is positioned slightly to the right (or does he mean left?) of the end of the fraction bar. The arrow feathers do not enter the mintmark. Here is an example on the DW site that I believe represents Variety 2:

Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    Very Nice--Enjoy !
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    You're in deep when you collect by variety. You need one of each, Longacre. And once you have one of each, you'll need at least a couple die states for each variety.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Geez.. when I post a thread about New Orleans gold, you can usually hear the crickets chirping. When I post about varieties of New Orleans gold, the silence is deafening. At least I got two sympathy posts. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    I think it's cool, Longacre. I just don't have anything intelligent to add. image

I like to contibute meaningful posts to threads. image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Life is short. Go for the variety set. Who knows? If QDB finds out about you doing so, he might write a book about it.
  • Options
    Very nice post Longacre. Post a few more pics. Varieties are the "spice of life' as many LC collectors are well aware.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file