Home U.S. Coin Forum

Has anyone read QDB's "Virgil Brand: the Man and His Era"?

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
I could swear that I posted a thread on this before, but I did a search and I could not find it. Maybe I reached my lifetime limit on QDB threads and CU has started to delete them. Anyway, has anyone read this book? I just ordered it, and I was wondering how it is.
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Typical well written QDB story, of special interest to me as Brand got his start in Blue Island, a s. suburb of Chicago not far from where I work. Brand later moved to the n. side of the city and opened his own brewery, where he lived til he died. I doubt there is any trace of either brewery as both areas have gone thru quite a bit of redevelopment.
  • Yep. Read it several years ago. Enjoyed it. IIRC Brand was a bit eccentric - never married, no interests outside of work and coins. Believe he lived in a room at his brewery, might be wrong about that, though. Left his estate to a niece.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read it many years ago and was disappointed because it failed to address the issue of why Brand became so obsessed with buying coins. I no longer own a copy.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • emzeeemzee Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭
    I read it many years ago and enjoyed it . I am in fact selling a hc copy on ebay right now: link
    as well as several other nice coin books.

Michael
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read it and vastly enjoyed it. Brand had perhaps the largest coin colelction of all time. A truly fascinating story of Brand and his collection. I wish there were more great collectors that would consign to ANR so that QDB would write more books like this one!

Mark
    Mark

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file