Home PSA Set Registry Forum

a "decent" PSA holder for "N" cards

With the popularity on N cards growing in leaps and bounds, isn't it about time PSA designs a holder that doesn't need a condom to keep the card semi stabile inside the slab?

Geesh, even the very popular sets (N28, N29, N162, N172, N184) that include baseball get no respect let alone the popular non baseball sets (N2, N19, N76, N88, N222).

A holder is LONG overdue, its time to stand up and be heard.
Collecting - n2, n13, n28, n29, n43, n162, n184, t3, t6, t9, t200, tobacco albums, tobacco advertising cards, tobacco banners (that picture the 19th century card sets).

Comments

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    For that matter, how about a holder that fits T cards, '41 Playballs, etc.
    SGC is getting swamped with crossovers on their "baggie crossover" special, at what point do cards get holders that fit?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    I'd have to disagree. I happen to think the PSA holders are fine the way they are. I think the "baggie" is very attractive and does a fine job of protecting the cards from moving around inside the slab. The PSA holders are charming and add warmth to the cards they encapsulate.

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭
    I got to agree with dabighurt on this one!

aconte
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Thank you DBH - no one appreciates your satire more than me, but this is a huge problem that requires serious attention. PSA's Registry Set of the Year last year was a gorgeous N19 Allen & Ginter Pirates of the Spanish Main set; all 50 cards floating at odd angles in a standard sized holder. I, for one, have a ton of N cards that I'd love to holder, but not in a loose fit and not with a baggie. I think PSA is missing a great opportunity to maintain a stranglehold on turn of the century card authenticating, and all it requires is a single die cast to fit a standard-sized N card (slightly longer than a T206).
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • imageimageimage

I know I'd have a preference if given the choice. As things stand now, I'm more inclined to choose another company when I look for presentation of certain sets.
    Collecting - n2, n13, n28, n29, n43, n162, n184, t3, t6, t9, t200, tobacco albums, tobacco advertising cards, tobacco banners (that picture the 19th century card sets).
    I'm going to keep popping this thing to the top - you sports guys who may be thinking this is just a non-sports issue: consider this. Here's a card, which, to my mind, is one of the most important baseball cards ever, and it's freely floating in an ill-fitting holder. I think these cards deserve to be holdered properly from the best authenticator in the business.

Mark (amerbbcards)

• I agree with with morrellman 100%.
    These are fragile enough:

These just flop around:

Same size, different holder. Does consistancy carry thru to packaging?
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

Nice Tango Eggs card. The size looks the same as an N card.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    It would be nice to hear what CU/PSA has to say about this.

There is enough demand for proper holders.
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
    I did have a couple of condom sleeved cards with me at PSA ones, on sets they have fitted ones for. Charlie (customer service at the time) said it was arbitrary, and had someone reholder it on the spot.

• Id like to chime in with the same request. Although I have only a few N cards, I have hesitated to send them in for grading because of the holder.

Ive been getting both sides of the fence lately on submissions with either more "no holders" or the extreme of having three different sized holders for cards of the same set which were submitted at different times.

A nice new baggie-free holder for N (and similarly sized) cards would be a very nice addition to the products offered by PSA. I would think that PSA would really want these extremely old and popular cards in their holders.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to add myself to the growing list of folks who hate how PSA holders E and N (among certain other) cards. I'm "PSA-only" when it comes to grading, except when it comes to E and N cards, where I greatly prefer SGC simply because of the form-fitting holders. If I get a PSA graded E or N card, it goes to SGC for crossover.

Steve
  • MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    I'm concerned about damage to my cards "floating around" in these holders. Surprised that PSA has not addressed this issue yet.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • mariotownmariotown Posts: 508 ✭✭
    Damage is certainly a concern. I received a card in the baggied holder and it slide between the hard plastic halves and was damaged. Actually that has happened to me 3 times. The way they put the bag in there it extends beyond the area where the card is, allowing the card to actually slide between the hard plastic halves of the holder during shipment.
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
    The baggie is another issue. When I first sent my Morrells in to be graded, I was literally heartbroken to see some them in a warpy condom that distorted the beauty of the card.

There is a fairly acceptable solution to that, though. I have about 20 graded T68 Heroes of History cards; the are slightly smaller than the standard card size, so they all have condoms. Some have them on both sides, some only on the back, some only on the front. I don't have a problem with the ones that have baggies in back. At least the beauty of the obverse is not obscured. Condoms, though, don't help the standard N card issue. They're just trapped like jelly fish in a cage.

One thing I know for sure - when you see an N card offered in a scan, and it isn't all askew in the holder, 99 out of 100 times that holder was smacked on a table to get the card to sit right. Ouch!!

Mark (amerbbcards)

• Has a card actually been damaged in the condom, it doesn't seem to be a serious problem
    I love candy cards
    There was a scan on Net 54 of a T200 with a piece of the corner floating around in the baggie. If you look at a T200 (or T222) it cracks and chips, so a proper holder is critical to the preservation of this issue.

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    I would think for a huge company like PSA this would be an easy fix? The reason it warps and wrinkles is because the mylar is bigger than the well. All PSA has to do is make a sleeve that is a perfect fit (like BGS) to fit the bigger well of the holder so when they get a card that is odd sized it will go into the sleeve and then in the well . In other words the sleeve they use overlaps the well causing it to wrinkle.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658

<< <i>I would think for a huge company like PSA this would be an easy fix? The reason it warps and wrinkles is because the mylar is bigger than the well. All PSA has to do is make a sleeve that is a perfect fit (like BGS) to fit the bigger well of the holder so when they get a card that is odd sized it will go into the sleeve and then in the well . In other words the sleeve they use overlaps the well causing it to wrinkle. >>

Jack - not that I would ever crack open a slab, but the card isn't inserted into the mylar. The mylar is placed over and/or under the card and I think it needs to be a bit larger than the well to ensure a tight, non-migrating seal. The other problem I have with the mylar is that, sealed as it is, there is constant pressure on the edges of the card, as well as the corners, to keep it in place. The arrowhead design, meant to keep anything from touching the corners, is voided. I see many baggied cards that just don't look healthy in the holder - especially around the corners.

Anthony - won't PSA reholder the card on site if you ask them to remove the baggie?

Mark (amerbbcards)

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    Enough said.
    imageimage
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    ttt

Unusual card issues notwithstanding, this hobby demands a proper fitting holder for N cards from PSA.

This card is from the Registry Set of the Year in 2004:

Mark (amerbbcards)

• ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 9:13PM