Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1977 Topps Reggie Jackson

Has anyone ever seen or are there any graded with the Orioles team name on the card?? Or was it just him in a Orioles uniform on the card with the Yankees team name??

Comments

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    The 77 card of Jackson as an Oriole was a proof card with a blank back. Topps Vault sold one on e-bay sometime back and it went for 6 K or more, I think to merkle. Bob Lemke told me SCD had one framed in their office as part of a blank backed proof sheet. He said their were 4 or 5 other players on the sheet that appear in uniforms that differ from their regular 77 card
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Yes I did see that, but I thought that there was one that said Orioles on it instead of the Yankees, but that was years ago that I had heard that.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    The Topps Vault ebay sale was for $ 6,101. See htpp://www.homestead.com/spcgaz/123.html
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    not related in the thread subject but there is an 88 score of reggie with orioles uniform and orioles title.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Renata Galasso also issued a 30 card Reggie set in 1984. One of the cards uses that 1977 Orioles photo.

Steve
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    That is really cool. Comparable to his '77 Burger King card for sheer visual appeal.

That's a first for me. I thought we were talking about the original, non-airbrushed version of the photo they eventually used in the set.

If you really like images of Jax as an Oriole, his Sports Illustrated cover is a must.

• << <i>Comparable to his '77 Burger King card for sheer visual appeal.

>>

I agree. The '77 BK Jackson is really his card from that year. The set card is downright nasty! The BK is one of Reggies best-looking cards of all time.
    It's funny, I collect Reggie, but his Orioles stuff just looks odd to me...like it never happened. Like the whole thing was just a big mistake.

dgf
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Why in the hell did the Orioles trade Don Baylor in his prime to have Reggie for one year knowing there's no way in hell they'd sign him for his asking price and he'd leave for free agency?

Lee

• << <i>Why in the hell did the Orioles trade Don Baylor in his prime to have Reggie for one year knowing there's no way in hell they'd sign him for his asking price and he'd leave for free agency?

Lee >>

It's the O's, does that not answer the question. Although I'm a born and bred Yankees fan I grew up in O's country. Luckily, they got Leo Mezzola(sp, frm Atl Braves pitching coach) and Markakis is turning out to be a gem.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Don't you worry Topps, Markakis is clearly going to be traded after this season for an aging middle reliever. I'm thinking Tom Gordon or Mike Stanton. Or maybe they could make a three player package like Markakis, Chris Ray, and Melvin Mora for an over the hill former All-Star like Mike Piazza. Is Jeff Bagwell still available?

Lee
  • I'm not an Oriles fan, but at that time (1976) the Orioles were one of the best franchises in Major League Baseball. They won the AL East in 1969, 1970, 1971, 1973, 1974, 1979, 1983. Went to the World Series in '69, '70, '71, '79, and '83. Won the World Series in 1970 and 1983. So, I wouldn't say that the Jackson trade was indicative at all of moves they made during that era. Jackson's '77 Orioles stuff is pretty cool, I think.
  • I wonder why Topps didn't produce a 1976 TRADED Reggie Jackson card with the Orioles.
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    The Orioles came in 2nd place both in '76 and '77, so they were always in contention. Free agency was a new animal then and I think everyone was figuring it out.

My guess is that the Jackson trade came so late in the year that Topps didn't have time to airbrush an Orioles hat on him for the '76 traded series. He was traded on April 2, 1976. I think all the player transactions associated with the traded series happened much earlier than April.
  • This is on ebay now.......

I thought there was an SSPC card of Reggie in an O's uniform as well but couldnt find it.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a classic uniform, and he looks cool in it. (He looked cool in everything.)

If you read Baylor's book, he was heartbroken to be traded away from Baltimore. He idolized Frank Robby and wanted to be that kind of guy for the Orioles.

Ironically, he and Reggie wound up playing together for a while in Anaheim and Reggie lived with Don. Complained because Don didn't have any potato chips in the house. image