Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

eBay Price Realized Analysis (repost)

I posted on the board about a month ago to see how people tracked prices for cards they own or are looking at. I was looking for a piece of software that would download data directly from eBay and give me an average price. Needless to say I couldn't find one that was reasonably priced and worked well. So, as the saying goes, if you want it done right, do it yourself.

I created a fairly simple program that downloads current eBay auctions, then tracks them through completion. eBay doesn't allow you to do completed auction searches through software, so a feature was added to let the user put in an auction number of a completed auction to include in tracking. Once a user has downloaded auctions and checked off the ones they want to use for analysis, you can graph the results and see the trend line.

That's the short of it. You can use it to track every single card your heart desires by doing individual searches for each. I realize there are still some bugs and some stuff that probably needs to be changed, but I wanted to open it up for somewhat of a beta testing. This trial will only let you use it for 20 days and save 3 searches and data. I plan on selling this software, but people of the PSA Registry will get a discount since I'm letting y'all be my guinea pigs. I know this may be considered spam, but I need to recover development costs.

I invite you to try it out and see if its something you would be interested in using. It can be downloaded for free from here. Please fill out the form so I can email you when new versions come out. I'm still working on a help file, but everything is pretty straight forward. Either post a thread on here with gripes or email me with comments/concerns/flames. Don't purchase it through the website -- I'll give PSA board members a link if they want to purchase it. The only requirements for running it are Windows XP and the .NET 2.0 Framework. The download page has a link on how to get the .NET Framework if you don't have it already.

A couple of other notes on how to use it. You have to check off each auction you want used in the analysis. The "Graph" button will graph only those that are checked. Use the date filter to use auctions from the past month, year, etc. Click the auction title to go to the listing's page to see if you want to use it in your analysis. Click "Save" to save the search query and all the auctions that you've downloaded. If you don't click save and change the query, you will lose the data you downloaded. Export the table or your saved search analysis to a CSV file by going to File/Save to CSV. The initial search doesn't download seller or buyer IDs (due to eBay restrictions). Check off the data you want the IDs for and click "Update checked auctions" (the software will give you an error if it tries to update more than 60 auctions at once; and it will only update active auctions). Search within certain categories by specifiying a category number.

I hope this will fill a niche for collectors like us who are looking for a cheap and easy way to price their cards. Sorry for the spam!
Currently collecting the Nolan Ryan Basic and Topps Player sets.

NAXCOM

Comments

• Options
    I have included some screenshots and finished the help file on my website.

Please let me know what you think!

NAXCOM
  • Options
    Has anyone downloaded this program yet? If so, has it been useful for you?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Any feedback from the people who've used it?

NAXCOM
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    qmayer...this sounds pretty good. Will try it this week when I have some time. Can you tell me how far back your able to go with completed auctions or do you have to download completed auctions every day, week, month or??

Thanks much Jeff
  • Options
    Jeff-

You can go back as far as you want as long as you download the data once. It downloads current running auctions with 1 click, so if you do that once every 4-5 days, you probably will be able to grab everything that runs within that time period. Once you get download the data once, the software will update it once it completes -- then you will have it forever.

You can also download data that has completed prior to the first time you've run the search. If you do the completed auction search on ebay and get the auction number of the auctions you want in your program, you can put them in the software and have them for your analysis.

Justin

NAXCOM
  • Options
    All right! This thread surfaced. I was going to install the software this weekend, but couldn't fined the tread for the life of me. I'll give it a shot.

-Scott
    My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • Options
    Totally awesome, it makes collecting so much easier than having to go the registry every time to check on a particuliar card. Thanks for going above and beyond to do what you've done, I for one am very appreciative.image
  • Options
    I've received a little bit of feedback from users on things they've found that don't work or probably should get changed. Does anyone else want to throw in their $0.02?

Again, here's a link to some screenshots and to download. Join the mailing list to get the discounted price once you're ready for the full version. You will be entitled to free updates as well. Sorry for the spam! I'm trying to make a quality product!

Justin

NAXCOM