Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Open Letter to David Hall

Below is a letter that I tried to get answered in the Q&A Forum, to no avail. I then sent it as an email, again no answer. So I will ask the members here:
1.) Is it fair to allow one “Basic Set” of “Circulation Strike” coins to have SMS coins listed in it but not another?
2.) What types of coins should be in a “Complete Set”?

Sent: July 26, 2006

Dear Mr. Hall,

Below is a question that I posted on the Q&A Forum of the message boards. I realize that you are probably getting ready for Denver, and I not looking for a fast answer. If you would look at both questions and if possible, let me know your thoughts after the Denver show. Thank you, Tim

Monday July 17, 2006 10:42 AM

Dear Mr. Hall,

I have a question that maybe you could answer. The Jefferson Nickels Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1938-present) set in the Registry is basically the same as the Kennedy Half Dollars Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1964-Present) set except for the denomination. They are both "Basic Sets" of "Circulation Strikes" coins; again the only difference is the denomination. So why does the Jefferson Nickels Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1938-present) set have the 1994P SMS & 1997P SMS in it but the Kennedy Half Dollars Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1964-Present) set does not have the 1998S SMS listed in the set?

This second question, I've asked before about six months ago and you told me PCGS was working on it. I would like to know the status if possible: If the registry set is purporting to being "A Complete Sets", just one example would be the Kennedy Half Dollar Complete Set (1964 - Present). This set has slots for MS coins, SMS coins, Silver Proof coins, Clad Proof coins and even a coin with Accent Hair. Basically if the US Mint made the coin different and unique it was given its own slot in the set. Why can't we have slots for both "Satin Finish" and "Business Strike" coins in this set where they were made different and unique from each other for the years 2005P&D and 2006P&D? I have been in contact with several members who have Kennedy Half Dollar Complete Set (1964 - Present) sets in the Registry, and almost everyone would like to see both the "Satin Finish" and "Business Strike" coinage listed in the set. (Of the set holders that I contacted, no one was against the idea of having both coins in the “Complete Set”. Can you help?

Thank you for your consideration,
Tim

Comments

• Options
    May I add, please take the 1972 DDO Lincoln out of the 1972 mint set. None of the other mint sets have varieties. Also, I ask that pcgs start recognizing the 1982 Lincoln Cent varieties.
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    Tim,

Well said. You are speaking for MANY, MANY people here on the boards. PCGS certainly knows that if they recognize the 05 & 06 business strikes AND satin finish strikes in each of the sets, that they are going to have to do it across all denominations (i.e. 5c, 10c, 25c, 50C & $1). I also look forward to an answer since I would like to see it done in the lincoln series! image
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree! get those Satins over to the variety sets. Designate the buisness strikes for the circ sets. If you do not think this matters, then just look at the skewed Population reports for 05 and 06 coins.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    I have only BS coins in my Kennedy circ set and it will remain that way. I'm not going to buy a cheap high grade SF for points. A circ set is a cerc set SF coins are a variety. Are the 65, 66, 67, 98 SMS Kennedys allowed in the Circ set NO they are not so why include SF coins now.

Dan
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    I am an avid Lincoln collector. I am also a big fan of PCGS, the Forum, and the set registry. However, the
    inconsistency that has evolved, regarding business strikes and satin finish coins, has become maddeningly
    foolish. This inconsistency should be eliminated very soon, as it is not a positive reflection on a #1 company. I urge PCGS to uniformly require business strikes in circulation sets and satin finish coins in the
    variety sets. The natives are restless, and have spoken. image

RegistryNut image
  • Options

<< <i>Below is a letter that I tried to get answered in the Q&A Forum, to no avail. I then sent it as an email, again no answer. So I will ask the members here:
    1.) Is it fair to allow one “Basic Set” of “Circulation Strike” coins to have SMS coins listed in it but not another?

The rules should apply equally to all sets, regarding business strikes and satin finish coins.

Any complete set must require business strikes and satin finish coins. After all, complete does mean:
    lacking no parts. JMO !

RegistryNut imageimage
  • Options
    I would like to add that the 2000-P "Reverse of 1999" Sacagawea variety (with a DIFFERENT design) should be in the Sacagawea circulation set if the Goodacre and Millennium coins (with only a different finish but the SAME design) are in the set. (Of course, this would mean that PCGS would have to first recognize that the variety exists - I can't believe this isn't a "no-brainer" for PCGS.)

Or even better - two Sac circulation sets are probably needed: basic (no Goodacre, no satin, etc.) and "with varieties" (with Goodacre, Millennium, Cheerios, satin, etc.).

In general, it seems like some consideration for consistency across the registry is needed. It is only going to get worse with "Reverse Proof" coins coming in some areas...

- Kevin
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    I agree there needs to be a place opened for the true business strikes of 05/06 and any future years of mint screw-ups.
    Dan
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Tim said in his letter he has contacted several of us who own complete sets.
    I am one of the ones that want to see the Satin Finish and Business strike coins in the Complete Set. I also think the recognized varieties should be in there.
    Add to that both should be in the Varity Set, and the Business strike only in the Basic Set.

Syl's Kennedys - 5th Finest Set of All Time
    Syl's Kennedy's w/varities. - 4th Finest Set of All Time
    Syl's Kennedy's
  • Options

<< <i>Sent: July 26, 2006

Dear Mr. Hall,

Below is a question that I posted on the Q&A Forum of the message boards. I realize that you are probably getting ready for Denver, and I not looking for a fast answer. If you would look at both questions and if possible, let me know your thoughts after the Denver show. Thank you, Tim

Dear Mr. Hall,

I have a question that maybe you could answer. The Jefferson Nickels Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1938-present) set in the Registry is basically the same as the Kennedy Half Dollars Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1964-Present) set except for the denomination. They are both "Basic Sets" of "Circulation Strikes" coins; again the only difference is the denomination. So why does the Jefferson Nickels Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1938-present) set have the 1994P SMS & 1997P SMS in it but the Kennedy Half Dollars Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1964-Present) set does not have the 1998S SMS listed in the set?

This second question, I've asked before about six months ago and you told me PCGS was working on it. I would like to know the status if possible: If the registry set is purporting to being "A Complete Sets", just one example would be the Kennedy Half Dollar Complete Set (1964 - Present). This set has slots for MS coins, SMS coins, Silver Proof coins, Clad Proof coins and even a coin with Accent Hair. Basically if the US Mint made the coin different and unique it was given its own slot in the set. Why can't we have slots for both "Satin Finish" and "Business Strike" coins in this set where they were made different and unique from each other for the years 2005P&D and 2006P&D? I have been in contact with several members who have Kennedy Half Dollar Complete Set (1964 - Present) sets in the Registry, and almost everyone would like to see both the "Satin Finish" and "Business Strike" coinage listed in the set. (Of the set holders that I contacted, no one was against the idea of having both coins in the “Complete Set”. Can you help?

Tim >>

TTT for something that needs to be addressed. And the sooner the better!!! Your lack of response to this is making everyone image
    rb
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    I have also sent a PM and E-mail to Mr Hall. He has NOT even bothered to send a rubber stamped will check and get back to you reply. To us, this IS an important matter. PLEASE respond! Thanks in advance!image
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    poor ron guth gets no respect.
  • Options
    I believe this was a problem before Ron came to his present position. Why single him out?
    Dan
  • Options
    I forwarded this thread to Mr. Guth, just in case he may want to answer it. (Or at least hoping that he might answer it.image )
  • Options

<< <i>I believe this was a problem before Ron came to his present position. Why single him out? >>

because he is now president of pcgs.
  • Options

<< <i>because he is now president of pcgs. >>

Yes he is, but this mess was well underway before he was appointed.
    So again I ask.. Why single him out for the "No RESPECT" comment?
    Dan
  • Options
    because as president of pcgs, he is ultimately responsible for decisions about registry sets and anything else that pertains to pcgs. i can't speak for david hall, but i'm sure he appointed ron guth as president to handle things like this. as long as people continue to direct their pcgs business to david hall instead of ron guth, he "gets no respect". is that clear enough?

dan50, you need to lighten up.
  • Options
    Larrynj - I have forwarded this thread to Mr. Guth. The reason I sent it to Mr. Hall in the first place was if you read the instruction of the Q & A Forum:
    "Hello All:

As requested, we've reopened the Q&A forum to better organize your questions for David Hall and he will answer your questions on Tuesday evening.
    David will answer any reasonable questions about PCGS, grading, the PCGS Set Registry, the coin market, etc. Due to legal restrictions, David is not able to answer questions about Collectors Universe financials or CLCT stock.

Besides answering your questions on the Q&A forum, he will also be responding to threads on the other forums on Tuesday evenings and making comments where he feels he can provide useful information. But if you want to be sure that David sees your question please use the Q&A forum....."

These instructions were last motified by carolj on May 2, 2006.

<< <i>because as president of pcgs, he is ultimately responsible for decisions about registry sets and anything else that pertains to pcgs. i can't speak for david hall, but i'm sure he appointed ron guth as president to handle things like this. as long as people continue to direct their pcgs business to david hall instead of ron guth, he "gets no respect". is that clear enough? >>

When I sent the originial letter to Mr. Hall it had nothing to do with giving Mr. Guth "no respect", only trying to follow the rules set up by PCGS on asking questions.

Tim
  • Options

<< <i>I forwarded this thread to Mr. Guth, just in case he may want to answer it. (Or at least hoping that he might answer it.image ) >>

tim, you obviously got my point quickly enough. my allusion to rodney dangerfield was just my way of expressing it. i didn't think i needed to spell it out, but dan50 didn't get it until the 3rd try.
  • Options
    LOL Ok back to the top, maybe it will catch the eye of some of those management folks (don't hold your breath)!!!!!!!!

Dear Mr. Hall, Mr Guth, Mr anyone who can help@pcgs;

Tim >>

• Options

<< <i>tim, you obviously got my point quickly enough. my allusion to rodney dangerfield was just my way of expressing it. i didn't think i needed to spell it out, but dan50 didn't get it until the 3rd try. >>

<< <i>When I sent the originial letter to Mr. Hall it had nothing to do with giving Mr. Guth "no respect", only trying to follow the rules set up by PCGS on asking questions. >>

This is what I was getting at with my comments. And the fact that D. Hall made the decisions and rules, that we still have to go by.

<< <i>as long as people continue to direct their pcgs business to david hall instead of ron guth, he "gets no respect". is that clear enough? >>

As for you Mr. larrynj, as long as we have to "still" direct our comments and questions to Mr. Hall, why would we suspect Mr. Guth can/will over-ride D. Halls decisions and guidelines?
    Now is that plain enough for YOU?

Dan
  • Options
    arguing on the internet is like mud-wrestling with pigs, you get filthy and the pig likes it. LMAO!!
  • Options

<< <i>Hello All:

As requested, we've reopened the Q&A forum to better organize your questions for David Hall and he will answer your questions on Tuesday evening.
    David will answer any reasonable questions about PCGS, grading, the PCGS Set Registry, the coin market, etc. Due to legal restrictions, David is not able to answer questions about Collectors Universe financials or CLCT stock. >>

It is Tuesday night, wondering if you had an answer yet Mr. Hall?image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    He looks at them Tuesday night, but the answers don't show up until Wednesday morning, if at all. In this case I would say that it's business as usual, no questions answered.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Dear Mr. Hall, Mr Guth, Mr anyone who can help@pcgs;

Tim >>

Tim would still like an answer to his questions, come on, what can be so hard about answering a question? Are you guys so busy that you don't have time for a little bit of customer relations????? Step up to the plate and take a stand!!!!
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck getting a reply. But who knows.....maybe??
  • Options
    TTT for Tim

Below is a letter that I tried to get answered in the Q&A Forum, to no avail. I then sent it as an email, again no answer. So I will ask the members here:

Sent: July 26, 2006

Dear Mr. Hall,

Dear Mr. Hall,

Tim

• Options
    NO NEWS. imageimage
    Dan
  • Options
    Probably ok to assume no news, which as far as I'm concerned is BAD news. I imagaine that if Tim ever gets an actual response, he will probably get a speeding ticket, or break his neck, or some such thing trying to get to any computer available to let us all know. But we can always hope!!!! image is all we get from pcgs and their lack of any kind of response.
  • Options
    Tonight is Tuesday night so we can always hopeimage

Oh, and on the “speeding ticket” thing, over the past twenty-five years it has always been my policy “it is better to give then to receive”.image
  • Options
    GOOD NEWS: I got an email today from David Hall, he told me, "We are still trying to figure out the right approach for satin finish coins…".

I take this positively that PCGS hasn’t forgotten about us. Hopefully one day, we can have slots for both types (Satin Finish & Business Strike) in our Complete Sets. image
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>GOOD NEWS: I got an email today from David Hall, he told me, "We are still trying to figure out the right approach for satin finish coins…".

I take this positively that PCGS hasn’t forgotten about us. Hopefully one day, we can have slots for both types (Satin Finish & Business Strike) in our Complete Sets. image >>

Yes this is wonderful news, and should be taken that PCGS hasn't "dropped the ball" on this issue, but........I believe that this is a very "generic" answer to this exploding situation. How much time does PCGS need to fix its mess? Sooner or later before anyone realizes it, it will be time to look through 2007 mint sets. It will be time to search for 2007 business strike coins. Jan. 2007 is only what 100+ days away!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    I must be walking on thin ice at PCGS, image as Paul also recieved an email. But I got ZIP, nada, nuttin. image
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>I must be walking on thin ice at PCGS, image as Paul also recieved an email. But I got ZIP, nada, nuttin. image >>

Dan60, I never received an E-mail from PCGS. I was just quoting the above response.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    All righty then. Boy is my face red.image
    Dan
  • Options
    <90 days until '07!

You would think that PCGS would release some sort of statement to the registry set holders or something to let us know of at least some of its ideas that they may be going through to fix this problem. As I see it, its just another 10-14 days wasted!

I mean I reall do not care at this point. I own all 4 Satin finish Dimes in either 8/9FB and will enjoy owning them. I will never add them unless PCGS completely acknowledges both the Business Strike and the Satin Finish coins.

I've currently been looking through a 50 roll box of '06-D Dimes (Fun & Exhausting) and there is a 100% difference between the Dimes in my box vs. the (2) '06 MS69FB/SF Dimes I own. the roll Dimes are almost PR like and have a wonderful mirror finish to them. Some not as shinny, but overall very nice strikes. The 2 SF Dimes are coated with a layer of frost which actually has a "Nickel" metal appearance to them. Both finishes are very desireable.

What do you suppose is taking so long? What do you suppose has to be done to come up with a resolution to the ongoing problem that so many of us collectors have toward the SF/BS issue? Wouldn't it be in the best interest for all parties to have PCGS sit with all of their graders, Ron, HRH, and whomever else, with a couple handfuls of both finishes and come up with an answer? You would think that it wouldn't take but a few hours or less.

Like I stated above, at this point I don't really care anymore. I just felt like talking and if anyone that reads this gets anything useful out of it, then great, if not, then great.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    I also am getting to the point where I don't care what PCGS does.
    I will use BUSINESS STRIKE coins in my set, as it was started with that intention.
    And since I can't compete with SF coins, I will just build it to my liking.
    I don't say this to try and sway PCGS, it has been well documented by now, that they could care less what we think. I'm just going to take my coins out of the registry until they decide to show some respect to customers and collectors. Even the US Gov. can solve a simple problem in less than two years. imageimage
    Dan
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This might be a reallllllly good Tuesday night subject!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I asked my question, now for the wait. image
    Dan