Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I think I am crazy!

or just really like cards. I was watching 3 auctions last night and really wanted the cards for my registry. The auctions were scheduled to end at appr. 9:05 pm. At around 8:30 my phone line went dead image I thought I could fix it because it happened once before. So, I went outside in the dark with a flashlight and a screwdriver. After a few minutes of trying to fix the line it started to downpour. Within seconds, I was soaked and to make matters worse I was standing in a puddle on my back porch as the lightning began to fly around me. I didnt care, I NEEDED THOSE CARDS! Anyway I tried to get it to work for a half hour but was unsuccessful. Now its 9pm exactly and the first auction was to end in 5 minutes. I was freaking out and basically gave up when my wife walked outside on her cell phone. She called the lady across the street and asked if "Matt could use her computer". She said yes, so I ran across the street soaking wet and she let me right in. I ended up winning all three and was really happy how it worked out but it left me think I was a little metally challengedimage

Anyone else have any crazy stories about things they did to win or buy cards?

Matt

Comments

• Options

Matt - use a sniping service.

It's cheaper than a visit to the ER. image

Buy the wife some flowers.
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    image Thanks for sharing. You are crazy to put it mildly.
    Yes, get a sniping service and then get rid of that dial up crap.
    Cable is the way to go.
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Hilarious picture that story paints!! My alternate ending would have you poking the screwdriver in the wrong box and getting a "Baked" McBride hairdo!! image

edited to add: Yes, I was going to recommend something like JustSnipe, too. I've found myself distracted by something else (work!!) and smiling to myself as the auction-ending time passes with my (hopefully) victorious, last-second bid!
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Matt - use a sniping service.

Buy the wife some flowers. >>

Wheres the fun in that? image

Edit Yes,

flowers are on the way.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Matt - use a sniping service.

Buy the wife some flowers. >>

Wheres the fun in that? image

Edit Yes,

flowers are on the way. >>

lawnmowerman, aka "Toolman Taylor" of the SCM Forum!
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before the sniping services, i knew a guy that would set his alarm so he could bid on cards that ended in the weeeeeee hours of the morning. He was my major competition on a set we were both working on.
    James
  • Options

<< <i>Before the sniping services, i knew a guy that would set his alarm so he could bid on cards that ended in the weeeeeee hours of the morning. He was my major competition on a set we were both working on.
    James >>

He's ALMOST as crazy as the lawnmowerman, but crazy none-the-less...image
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    thank God for the old lady across the street..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>thank God for the old lady across the street.. >>

• Options

And buy the lady across the street some flowers. Unless of course she has a scary husband you don't know very well...and don't want to get to know. You could almost make a screenplay out of this experience and make more money for cards!
  • Options

<< <i>

And buy the lady across the street some flowers. Unless of course she has a scary husband you don't know very well...and don't want to get to know. You could almost make a screenplay out of this experience and make more money for cards! >>

• Options
    I sold Matt the cards that he is referring to.

Hey Matt, i think i've had a change of heart and have decided to keep them

Appreciate the effort though

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>I sold Matt the cards that he is referring to.

Dave >>

Come to think of it Dave, this is all your fault, putting up all those Emmitts. You knew I would do anything to get them image

Matt
  • Options

<< <i>I sold Matt the cards that he is referring to.

That is CRUEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUNNY; but cruel none-the-less

Dave >>

• Options
    Noone needs to know... Good luck click for help
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    <<Come to think of it Dave, this is all your fault, putting up all those Emmitts. You knew I would do anything to get them >>

Matt, I've heard of fanatics before, but this one takes the cake. I applaud you for your passion, but I think in the future, you can get by without the last minute bids. Those are typically saved for auctions where there is at least one other person on the planet who might be interested in the same card as you. In any case, I always thought Emmitt was underrated. Here's a nice PSA 8 of him on ebay right now, and the price is nice. Item # is 330022525411:

• Options
    I like how you mix in the polo shirt with PSA slabs!

I do that with women's shoes, etc.
  • Options

<< <i><<Come to think of it Dave, this is all your fault, putting up all those Emmitts. You knew I would do anything to get them >>

Matt, I've heard of fanatics before, but this one takes the cake. I applaud you for your passion, but I think in the future, you can get by without the last minute bids. Those are typically saved for auctions where there is at least one other person on the planet who might be interested in the same card as you. In any case, I always thought Emmitt was underrated. Here's a nice PSA 8 of him on ebay right now, and the price is nice. Item # is 330022525411:

>>

Beavis, dont make me smack you image

• Options
    Put the phone down and step away from the computer !image
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!