Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

DID I FIND A SCAM IN PROGRESS HERE???? HELP

OK folks, so I am minutes from walking out the door, but would be happy to report this if it is confirmed that my thinking is correct on this. Please confirm.

I was looking at this mantle and noticed THAT IT APPEARS TO BE IN A HOLDER. YOU HAVE TO LOOK CLOSE, BUT I'M PRETTY SURE.

here's the Ebay # 250023876259 BUT THERE'S A LINK BELOW.....

THE '57 MANTLE IS THE SAME WAY...Probably some others too but I only have time to write this email. I already wrote the seller demanding an explanation for what appears to be photo fraud. I hate this kind of crap. Am I seeing this right? Is this alone enough to report, or should I wait to see if the seller responds? Actually, even if he does, i'll be gone by then, so won't be able to report it. should i report it now? anyone else wish to report w/me if i'm right on this? I'd hate to see someone get ripped off.

Comments

• Options
    I wouldn't bid... This guy scares me, but hey, Paypal will protect you.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    Am i right on this though??? Are other people seeing that these cards are in graded holders which are edited out, hence the small pics.
    I don't want Paypal to have to protect anyone. I want people like this off ebay...period. There's no way I'm bidding, but I'm worried about the person who doesn't notice. I'm gonna report it, but that probably won't stop it in time. I'm reporting, and then I've got to go...fast. Does anyone have a phone number for ebay so this can be reported and something can be done about it before someone gets ripped off.
    This guy's got a bunch of mantles on there. He's got to be stopped.....assuming I'm seeing this properly.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    The 57 mantle is for sure in a holder.........................I cannot tell on the 58 no matter how much i blow it up...
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    I just looked at the '53 bowman mantle he has....same thing. I tried to report, but couldn't find any way to do it with a narrative to explain the problem (not that ebay would get it anyways).....I had to put it in as a counterfit.......And now I have to go.
    It's sad that it's up to us to stop this stuff, but if anyone knows anyway to hault this thing, please assist. Someone out there, a potential buyer, would thank you if you have any means of stopping this piece of crap.
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    This one mickey mantle,63,1963,topps,card #200,great condtion is clearly a graded card.

Here's the pic from the auction.

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    I think the tell tale signs is that on every card besides the Mantles, he took digital pics and had them on a table. These are scanned in and the 63 Mantle is in a PSA holder.

This is 100% bullchit.

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    He just wrote me back saying he isn't scamming anyone, and that it's in a snap down holder. I don't buy it. I can't recall seeing a snap down like that.
    It clearly seems to be a graded holder.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just looked at the '53 bowman mantle he has....same thing. I tried to report, but couldn't find any way to do it with a narrative to explain the problem (not that ebay would get it anyways).....I had to put it in as a counterfit.......And now I have to go.
    It's sad that it's up to us to stop this stuff, but if anyone knows anyway to hault this thing, please assist. Someone out there, a potential buyer, would thank you if you have any means of stopping this piece of crap. >>

I've been fighting with ebay for a week about some frauds, even have a guy from gai trying to help. They don't care.

If you message the high bidder you can get tossed off for auction interference.

It's getting so you have to buy from the same sellers once you can find somebody you trust.

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    not tryin' to stir chit here, but i did look at this guys' recent history....just got good feedback from a user on a bunch of '66T raw including a Mantle....also, if the cards were in PSA holders, you would prolly see something of the plastic rails inside the holder to left and right of card, JMO, that '63 Mantle DOES look like it's in a snapdown
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>not tryin' to stir chit here, but i did look at this guys' recent history....just got good feedback from a user on a bunch of '66T raw including a Mantle....also, if the cards were in PSA holders, you would prolly see something of the plastic rails inside the holder to left and right of card, JMO, that '63 Mantle DOES look like it's in a snapdown >>

You can cleqrly see the side of the PSA holder on the '57 Mantle.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    Here's his completed listings

I think it smells really bad.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    If you copy the pix and blow them up in Windows pix/fax viewer,
    the interior holder rails are visible.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    looks like seller flew the coop....or got the boot

I stand corrected, Commendations! image
  • Options
    HA!!!!

That's the ticket right there!! I just got back and am very happy to see this. I did report the auctions, but I doubt that my action alone was enough.

It shouldn't be our job to clean up the scum on ebay, but someone's gotta do it. So if anyone else out there pitched in in any way, thanks. Very nice.

I see that he's sold a bunch of raw cards up to this point. There is no doubt in my mind however that those were PSA holders on the edges of the cards. The pics themselves were different than the others, and the pics were clearly copied and cropped. I have to believe he'd been building his feedback to make this scam happen for him.....I love that it didn't work. Good riddence.
  • Options

Sad to say but he will probably be up and running with a new ebay ID in a day or so if not already.
  • Options
    "Nice work, Angles", said Charlie.image
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!