Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

2003 P Lincoln Cent PCGS MS 70 ....The Holy Grail Of Lincoln Cents ??

According to Jaime Hernandez

I will categorically state that I know more about Lincoln cents than Jaime Hernandez will ever know.Is this what PCGS is about ? The certification of high grade MODERN CRAP ? I would like to hear David Hall state that a 2003 P Lincoln cent is the Holy Grail of Lincoln cents.
PCGS has been looking to certify an ms 70 Lincoln cent for 20 years ? Even the submitter Karl Anderson has come out like a modern day P.T. Barnum and stated he is consigning the coin as he has been looking for the BIGGEST SUCKER to pay THE HIGHEST DOLLAR for the coin.
Perhaps some idiot who lives by the ocean will buy it and display it proudly.And when it turns psychedelic in the holder PCGS will buy it back for an amount that dwarfs the price they paid to buy back the 1963 Proof 70 D Cameo Lincoln cent.

What do you think ?

Lord Master Stewart

Comments

• Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    If there's not a bunch more within a year I'd be surprised.
  • Options

Not sure I would have stated it the same wayimage, but I totally agree. This is such an incredible joke. I read in another thread that collectors will now be cracking out MS69 coins for resubmission (which, of course, is what the whole thing is about). I just hope that when they crack them out they don't get their "rare" penny mixed up with their pocket change!

Jack

• Options
    dcgolferdcgolfer Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Hi Stewart,

Maybe you should crack out the 1919 and try for a "perfect" 70 grade.image

Dan
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ROFL.

You guys not only have no concept that coins continued to be made in this
    country after 1964 (1959 for Lincolns) but you also have no sense of humor
    and no knowledge on the subject.

Sure there will be millions of MS-69's cracked out and resubmitted. Almost
    all moderns are MS-69 or MS-70 so one of those MS-69's should be annointed
    regardless of its actual condition.

Everyone knows that only coins made before 1964 can be scarce or scarce
    in high grade.

There's no need for anyone to collect later coins. If you don't like them then
    don't collect them. But if you don't collect them, don't expect those who do to
    be stunned by your knowledge of them.

I think an '88-D or '89-D will have a better chance of making MS-70.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

Stewart...Why are you picking on Jaime? He is intelligent, enthusiast, and learning fast. There a handful of eager young numismatists that represent the future of our hobby/market and Jaime is one of them. I work with him almost every day and I assure everyone reading this post that he is an outstanding up and coming numismatist. Calling Jaime a moron...no a "COMPLETE MORON"...is mean spirited, does not contribute to the health of numismatics and is basically a thing only a person with a moron's ego would do. You are not only out of line...you don't know what you're talking about.

Second...Why don't you pick on someone your own size? Someone with more experience and knowledge? I'm here...right now...and ready. Shall we start by talking about your Presidential Reviews and my opinion of your grading skills?

HRH
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Stewart...Why are you picking on Jaime? He is intelligent, enthusiast, and learning fast. There a handful of eager young numismatists that represent the future of our hobby/market and Jaime is one of them. I work with him almost every day and I assure everyone reading this post that he is an outstanding up and coming numismatist. Calling Jaime a moron...no a "COMPLETE MORON"...is mean spirited, does not contribute to the health of numismatics and is basically a thing only a person with a moron's ego would do. You are not only out of line...you don't know what you're talking about.

Second...Why don't you pick on someone your own size? Someone with more experience and knowledge? I'm here...right now...and ready. Shall we start by talking about your Presidential Reviews and my opinion of your grading skills?

HRH >>

I've got my Popcorn and glass of Dad's Rootbeer ready guys! This one should be lots of fun! image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Hi David,

I am completely retracting what I said about Jaime.I have never met him.I would like to hear what YOU have to say about an ms 70 Lincoln cent.Is this the Holy grail ? You can talk about my Presidential reviews and my grading skills.It is good to see you responding.If I am wrong I will publically admit it.If I remember correctly it was I who informed you about the 1963 Proof 70 Lincoln cent .
    Why doesn't PCGS grade an 1877 in 67 red or a 1909 VDB in 68 red.I have many coins in my collection that I would publically compare for any PCGS grading set.

Stewart
  • Options
    AWWWWW, Stewart. Just talked with you on the phone. You KNOW what I would say. So I will:

Your coins are worth more than you know what to do with. You are like so many collectors who feel THEIR own coins are undergraded. I have a 1794 Dollar, PCGS VF25, but it should be an AU58!!!image

I think most of the 1919 lincoln 68RD's are OVERGRADED, and the 1916 Lincoln 67RD's are undergraded. And since I agree with HRH on your grading skills, if you think your stuff is so great, submit it raw under another name, and see what happens.

I know they will just sit in the NY vaults. image
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    I wonder if Jaime Hernandez might have been using a little hyperbole. Certainly
    an MS-70 Lincoln cent will appeal to a very wide number of collectors since it is the
    finest graded but, obviously, that won't necessarily result in the highest price. There
    are many factors that will go into the price and it will always come down to what it's
    worth to the second highest bidder. Demand will be very broad based because there
    are huge numbers of people who collect Lincolns and huge numbers who want top
    grade type coins. There are also those who simply seek the finest of various objects.

Whatever this coin brings, there will be more people who can't own than who can.

It seems improbable that the price record for Lincolns is in much danger, but what do
    I know?
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    I think an apology is due Jaime....

Moron is not a cool word at all..he is just doing his job,
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

Stewart...You are a good man to recant your attack of Jaime...

You also have a pretty good grading eye.

Thanks,

David
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    My only comment is that in my opinion the 1909VDB Matte Proof cent is the "Holy Grail" of the Lincoln cent series.

I appreciate the banter between Stewart & David. Thanks.

Steveimage
  • Options
    <<Why doesn't PCGS grade an 1877 in 67 red or a 1909 VDB in 68 red>>

Then you wouldn't have the best ones.image
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Shall we start by talking about your Presidential Reviews and my opinion of your grading skills? >>

OUCH! image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    2bucks2bucks Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Stewart...Why are you picking on Jaime? He is intelligent, enthusiast, and learning fast. There a handful of eager young numismatists that represent the future of our hobby/market and Jaime is one of them. I work with him almost every day and I assure everyone reading this post that he is an outstanding up and coming numismatist. Calling Jaime a moron...no a "COMPLETE MORON"...is mean spirited, does not contribute to the health of numismatics and is basically a thing only a person with a moron's ego would do. You are not only out of line...you don't know what you're talking about.

HRH >>

This is directed to HRH. Please start addressing the more pressing issues or the YN's will learn very quickly that the "old timers" cannot be trusted. Trust is what your business is built on right?
  • Options
    Shall we start by talking about your Presidential Reviews and my opinion of your grading skills?

OWNED!!!image
  • Options

Not sure who is more F.O.S. here. At least Stewart is more up front with it. Wasn't Jaime banned from here no too long ago? Now he's one of our bright young numismatists?

Jack

Edited to add: Ooops! Steve, I just figured it out as you posted below...nevermindimage
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not sure who is more F.O.S. here. At least Stewart is more up front with it. Wasn't Jaime banned from here no too long ago? Now he's one of our bright young numismatists?

Jack >>

Different Jaime.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Jack the Knife - It was Jaime Haletky who was banned from the forums.Jaime Hernandez is the one who is responsible for the PCGS pricing guide.I personally think he does a very good job because I use the PCGS pricing guide when trying to figure out Lincoln cent values.I hope he accepts my apology for the name calling.

I completely agree with Steve that the 1909 VDB matte proof is the holy grail of Proof Lincoln cents

I think the 1922 No D strong reverse is the holy grail of Lincoln cents

I believe the 1958 DDO is the holy grail of double die Lincoln cents

Perhaps RonGuth should explain why he thinks PCGS will never grade another ms 70 Lincoln cent ?He is a BIG GUY

I am certain most of the senior PCGS graders like Ron Howard or Mike Sargeant laugh at grading coins like a 2003 Lincoln cent.I will also state that even the BEST GRADERS cannot tell the difference between an ms 69 or an ms 70 Lincoln cent

Stewart
  • Options
    Stewart, I have to agree with you and Steve on the 1909 VDB Matte Proof as being the HOLY GRAIL
    of Lincoln Cents for rarity purposes. But you also have to consider that the year 2003 Cents had
    some FABULOUS beautiful lincolns that just blow away any other Lincoln cent for Lustre. I
    believe that is why that coin is a true 70 coin IMHO. The coin in my Red White & Blue set has that
    kind of Lustre and it also has Gorgeous red toning as it was a coin I put in a Littleton coin Album
    in 2003. The coin has a minute L shaped gouge on the reverse under the Memorial Building that keeps
    it from a higher grade. I thought it would have went at least a 67 but the graders didn't agree only a
    66. You may not like Modern Crap but a GEM like these only happen very seldom at the Mint.
    Mike.image
    Enjoying time at home with the family now is my full time passion.

rabbitracks toned showcase set
    myurl
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Have your ever considered anger management therapy? >>

You two could probably get a group discount.

Russ, NCNE >>

They don't need a discount. They're both loaded.
  • Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    I'd like to see some better photos of the coin, and some info about it:

Particularly, was this coin fished out of a roll or a bag? or the cash register at the golden arches?

I take it that it did NOT come out of a mint set?

It's "source" is what interests me.

thanks, alan mendelson
  • Options

<< <i>I'd like to see some better photos of the coin, and some info about it:

Particularly, was this coin fished out of a roll or a bag? or the cash register at the golden arches?

I take it that it did NOT come out of a mint set?

It's "source" is what interests me.

thanks, alan mendelson >>

I just assumed it was a mint set.

Tempus fugit.