Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

question about thalers

I have found that a large amount of 18th century thalers do not have a silver content listed in Krause, while western european currency is, for the better part, listed pretty consistantly.

Is this a matter of poor record keeping or more a result of variable fineness and consistancy? I guess the third option would be laziness on the part of the Standard Catalog, but since the lack of information is so widespread I discounted that as I would assume they would make it a point to address it over the years.

I know that, at least in the matter of the Spanish Empire, the weight and fineness were closely monitored and subject to laws of tolerance.

Were similar laws not in effect among a lot of the German and Austrian States?

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is this a matter of poor record keeping or more a result of variable fineness and consistancy? >>

It might be both. In many cases, the standards might have varied widely, and original mint records might be lacking, as well. This is probably why Krause will just say "silver" and leave it at that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.