Home Sports Talk
Options

Marlins Win 9th in a Row, Manager to be fired...

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
How is this possible?

How ridiculous an owner are you when you take a team with smaller payrolls than a number of players, and turn them into wild card contenders? They are 1.5 out of the wild card after tonight's win...amazing!

Comments

• Options
    Girardi did an awesome job with this squad and I HOPE he'll get another tenure at a franchise that's willing to write some checks. I def. think that the owner felt slighted and that's the reason he's getting fired.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a joke? I went to the ESPN home page and read that Girardi is at home with his pregnant wife bracing for a hurricane? This doesn't sound realistic to me. If they fire him, they should just fold the franchise because they obviously have no intention of winning otherwise.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    The owner's displeasure with him has been well documented over the past couple of weeks, and the report is he won't be back next season (even though he has 2 more years left on his contract).

If the owner lets him go, it'll go down as the worst move ever.
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    If Girardi is available, I would love to see KC pick him up. No offense Buddy Bell.
    Travis
  • Options
    Unfortunately, Jeffrey Loira's ego is more important than the good of the team. Girardi will be gone at the end of the year and likely managing the Cubs at this time next year.
  • Options
    There is no way Girardi will be out of a job long. He proved a lot with his coaching abilities this year, considering what he had to manage. Cubs would be a good fit, and don't rule him out from rejoining Torre's staff in NY if he is let go by the Marlins.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    If they win the wildcard he deserves manager of the year... if not i guess ole willie randolph will get it image
  • Options

<< <i>If they win the wildcard he deserves manager of the year... if not i guess ole willie randolph will get it image >>

Even if they don't get the wildcard, he deserves manager of the year. To keep a team at .500 with a smaller combined payroll than a great number of MLB players deserves accolades.

Randolph? Manager of the year? That's like giving it to Torre! Give anyone a $100+ million payroll and they SHOULD win 100 games. He had essentially the same roster last year, and they did nada.

• Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    He had essentially the same roster last year, and they did nada.

wow? are you sure about that? and also you pay any atention to the mets this year? have you seen there starting pitching staff this year? dismantled by injuries. payroll of the starting staff when pedro and glavine out. probably 3 million or so.

I think willie has done an awesome job.. with all the injuries the starting and relief pitching the mets have had!
  • Options

<< <i>
    wow? are you sure about that? and also you pay any atention to the mets this year? have you seen there starting pitching staff this year? dismantled by injuries. payroll of the starting staff when pedro and glavine out. probably 3 million or so.

I think willie has done an awesome job.. with all the injuries the starting and relief pitching the mets have had! >>

What exactly has willie done to shore up those injuries? He's not the one signing players.

Give any dope a team loaded with talent like this, and they are assuredly going to do well (just ask Joe Torre, a sub .500 manager through 2000+ games before coming to the yankees).

The mets have a great team and a trained monkey could have managed them to 90 wins.

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If they win the wildcard he deserves manager of the year... if not i guess ole willie randolph will get it image >>

Even if they don't get the wildcard, he deserves manager of the year. To keep a team at .500 with a smaller combined payroll than a great number of MLB players deserves accolades.

Randolph? Manager of the year? That's like giving it to Torre! Give anyone a $100+ million payroll and they SHOULD win 100 games. He had essentially the same roster last year, and they did nada. >>

Waaaa waaaaa waaaaaa image
  • Options

<< <i>
    Waaaa waaaaa waaaaaa image >>

Oh jesus grow up already.

Ask anyone who isn't a yankee lover and they'll tell you the same thing about Torre - a sub .500 manager who fell into a position where he was given unlimited payroll options and suddenly he's a great manager?

Please. The same with Randolph.

• Options
    Keep on a whinin'
  • Options

<< <i>Keep on a whinin' >>

And keep on hiding behind alt IDs Fudin, I'll keep picking them off.
  • Options
    LMAO...that is soooo funny! You think Im still an alt? Wow...guess you dont look at the other boards, eh? It would be clear that you are a nutcase...does that make sense to you or do you need to take another psychotropic drug for clarity?

Your frustrations put a grin on my face image
  • Options

<< <i>LMAO...that is soooo funny! You think Im still an alt? Wow...guess you dont look at the other boards, eh? It would be clear that you are a nutcase...does that make sense to you or do you need to take another psychotropic drug for clarity?

Your frustrations put a grin on my face image >>

Frustrations? Hardly. I typically laugh in your general direction when you dare to stick your mug in here.

But yes, Torre has been given way too much praise, much like the praise is starting to come in for Willie - both are jobs that even YOU could manage those teams to 90 wins.
  • Options
    I dont "dare" putting my mug on here. Who should I be afraid of? YOU? Maybe in your fantasy world image Draw out your sword, sorcerer! Is that what they say on imaginary games? Or is that what the government says when they are planning attacks on their own people????

Anyway, the money arguement is a tired and nonsense arguement. When you are dealing with many high profile players you still have to manage the talent and the egos. Torre has done a great job and Yankees fans are proud to have him regardless of his managerial performance before his era with the Yanks.
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Article on ESPN.com says "Zero" chance of his return next year.
    Travis
  • Options
    He won't be out of work long...I see pinstripes in his future, either in Chicago (a perfect replacement for the pitcher killer Baker) or as a coach for the Yanks (they collect former MLB managers)
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Girardi wanted this. They have been talking about it all day on WFAN. He will be managing the Cubs next year.

Its a perfect fit for him, so dont shed any tears, he got exactly what he wants. His hometown, and a team that can only improve, and one that will spend money. He is a great guy, and a great manager and will lead the Cubbies very well.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>Girardi wanted this. They have been talking about it all day on WFAN. He will be managing the Cubs next year.

Its a perfect fit for him, so dont shed any tears, he got exactly what he wants. His hometown, and a team that can only improve, and one that will spend money. He is a great guy, and a great manager and will lead the Cubbies very well. >>

I agree. It'll be nice to see a manager here that actually sets standards for his players and not simply defends all their short commings to the death. I think Dusty can be a good manager for the right team, that team is not the Cubs.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joltin Joe Girardio will be a perfect fit for the Cubs! Marlins loss and the Cubbies gain image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Girardi is a class act and will bring the Cubbies back to respectable.
  • Options
    Joe's a good guy but, imho, is lacking in game management skill and a sense of horse flesh.
  • Options

<< <i>Joe's a good guy but, imho, is lacking in game management skill and a sense of horse flesh. >>

He's taken a team, who, as a whole, makes less than derek jeter and has them in the playoff race.

He's an exceptional manager.