Home Sports Talk
Options

Can Ryan Howard hit # 62 this year?

They are testing now. so if he does it... is he considered the single season home run king?

he hit # 48 tonite. pretty amazing.. i know philly park is small but he is hitting them on the road as well.. I hope he can do it!

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe. image
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say he will hit 60............image
  • Options
    It's funny because i went to see at least 20 or so Blueclaws games in 2002 when Ryan Howard was there and i don't think he hit more than 1 homer in any of those games . . Now look at the guy

Dave
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Another win tonight for the Phils, Howard has slung these guys over his back and have carried them on their way to the
    playoffs. Being a phils fan, I know they will fall a half a game or so short, but it would be nice to get to the playoffs, I think
    the Mets are hitting on all cylinders right now, but in a short series, someone might be able to steal a series from them.
    The Phils are proven that they can hang with LA and St Louis.

Howard is the real deal and Im sorry I sold my Bowman's Best rookie a few months ago.....for 200% book, which is now
    like half book. Just when you thought 2001 wax was unapproachable, you can add 2003 to the list! Howard...Delmon...Wang

How ironic that the nights that Soriano hits 42 and Howard 48, Andruw Jones hits two and Bonds hits two, and neither has even
    half of what the younger studs have. How times have changed!

JS
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Too bad that he was "stuck" in the minors for the past three years.

As far as hitting 62, I think it is unlikely -- but still has a chance. He has been on a tear and will lead the Phils to the wild card.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    small Papi!
  • Options
    joestalin, Andruw Jones is younger than Soriano and has hit 32 HR's! So your whole nonsense of not even having half of what the younger studs have sounds a little bit stupid, don't you think? Howard is only about two years different in age too.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    If they are really testing now, then Bonds is the HR king because he is still crushing them out of the park. Did you guys see the one the other night? It looked like he reached out and threw the bat at the ball and it went over center field. Sure he's an ass, but he can flat out crush a baseball.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's funny because i went to see at least 20 or so Blueclaws games in 2002 when Ryan Howard was there and i don't think he hit more than 1 homer in any of those games . . Now look at the guy

Dave >>

I too saw Howard play games as a Blue Claw and remember him hitting one home run. My initial thoughts on the guy was that he was a fat slow dude planted on first base and that his destiny if anything would be in the AL as a DH. With that said, I have never received a paycheck from any teams for my scouting reports image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I can't help but think at some point they are going to stop pitching to this guy...and his pace will slow down.
  • Options

<< <i>Too bad that he was "stuck" in the minors for the past three years. >>

Exactly.

The Phils hung too much on Thome and brought Howard up only when Thome was injured. Every year at spring training he was sent back down. They should have had more faith in him and let him develop.
  • Options

<< <i>joestalin, Andruw Jones is younger than Soriano and has hit 32 HR's! So your whole nonsense of not even having half of what the younger studs have sounds a little bit stupid, don't you think? Howard is only about two years different in age too. >>

What does age have to do with it?? Jones has been in the league since the 90's. Soriano about 6 years less. You are just ticked, cause
    your boy can't hit em out without juice. Sorry!

HAHAHA

JS
  • Options
    ^^
    Joe, I'm a big fan of Andruw Jones. Jones is still very young and he's got a shot at 550+ home runs. Jones is 29 years old, with 9 straight years of 25+ home runs(7 of those seasons 30+). 330+ home runs and he's 29. Throw in 8 straight gold gloves; and I'd take him over Howard; who's turning 27 in November.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    he has 3 today vs the braves! thats 52 now. this kid is a beast. i think he will beat 61.

why has the media not made a big deal of this yet?
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    because he is not TO
    because he is not Brady Quinn
    because he is not Notre Dame.

• Options

<< <i>he has 3 today vs the braves! thats 52 now. this kid is a beast. i think he will beat 61.

why has the media not made a big deal of this yet? >>

They are waiting on the urinalysis image Sorry, that's what America has come to expect; hell look at the past month. Justin Gatlin, Marion Jones, Floyd Landis. Who's to say.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nasty stuff
  • Options
    ....and here it is, the payoff pitch, base loaded two outs Phils down by 3 in game 7 against the Mets. The Mets locker room walls have
    already been covered....here is the pitch from Wagner......ohhhhhhhh, there a shot way back wayyyyyyyyy back. Howard has done it again!!!

GRAND SLAM GRAND SLAM

The phillies win the pennant The Phillies win the pennant.

(coming to a ballpark near you)

JS
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Why are people pitching to this guy?

It astounds me to see a guy like this, who's absolutely crushing the ball, getting pitches to hit. Much like Pujols in the beginning of the year, why are teams throwing to them? A guy on fire hits 2 HRs in a game, and you want to serve up more gopher balls to him? It's not like he's got tons of hitting talent behind him.

• Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    and here it is, the payoff pitch, base loaded two outs Phils down by 3 in game 7 against the Mets. The Mets locker room walls have
    already been covered....here is the pitch from Wagner......ohhhhhhhh, there a shot way back wayyyyyyyyy back. Howard has done it again!!!

GRAND SLAM GRAND SLAM

The phillies win the pennant The Phillies win the pennant.

(coming to a ballpark near you)

JS

OK kev now im starting to not like the guy! i hope he hits 62 but the phillies and braves miss the wildcard!
  • Options
    In the past few years the wild card has always been the hungrier team. I could see the Phils doing it. San Diego doesn't scare anyone

JS
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Here's hoping that Tom Gordon comes back tomorrow real soon ... the bullpen is horrible.

They should have swept the Braves
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Mets fan, I'd be far more worried about the Astros pitching staff than the rookie Ryan Howard come playoff time.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.