Home Metal Detecting
Options

Hit a small river park today and .....Update went back and ...

Got nothing but signals!! Everywhere, I don't think I could swing my detector more than 6 inches in any direction without getting a hit. I figured on spending an hour or so there, spent three and came up with some coin- 5 quarters, 10 dimes, 11 pennies (1 of them Canadian)- but nothing old image No wheaties or silver, lots of trash on this point, area was located near a former car dealership that was tore down in the mid 70's (it had been opened since probably the 1930's at that location- I can vaguely remember it being tore down-just a youngin then). Anyways, I think alot of the rubble from demolition went into this lot (figures Urban renewal at its best)when the entire area including this point were made into a boat launch and small park. Don't know why I had never hit the area before, the riverfront park isn't very big but it sits directly across the river from an 18th century French and later British Fort site along with Indian village. It also borders the oldest building in town- built in the 1790's and which was once a customs house - now a border partrol headquarters- ironically this park is also known for the pull up in car drug deals etc. that go in this small town. So there could be lots of history deep down I guess. Will try to go back earlier tomorrow and hit it again, glad I had my sniper 4 inch coil on, might bring one of the bigger coils to see whats really down there ( I have a 12 inch monster coil too plus an 8 1/2). Found lots of modern brass and copper items- I think related to the dealership and a good quantity of pull tabs and bottle caps- dug so many holes my knees and back are both aching now. Anyways here's a shot of what I got today by doing 1/3 of the area:

Comments

• Options
    Good Job. Keep hitting that place.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Hey keep hitting it you did a good job and if you don't find anything old you can take all the clad and buy and oldie.HH,Tom
  • Options
    Keep it up! The oldies could eventually appear.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Didn't get a chance to hit it again this week, but tomorrow I leave for a weekend camping trip and will be bringing my camera (if I don't forget it) to hit a site of an American Castle, thats right, details -hopefully to follow- providing camera works and the 4 inch sniper coil can weed out some more targets better than the copper roof plates and lead globs left from the castle's demise in the 1920's due to fire.
  • Options
    Hit the river area park again today, beautiful day by the water front. Started at the end that seemed to contain the most trash and there was lots of it, gave up after digging no coins and finding everything from a spark plug to a door key hole plate made of brass or copper. Went to far end near boat launch and my luck started changing immediately- hit a small honey hole ( I guess you could call it)- found 54 cents in it- 2 quarters and 4 pennies- nothing old. And that was about the way it went, nothing real old, a 64 penny, 65 quarter were the best. Found $2.94 total in a couple of hours, 8 quarters one of my best days for them. Forgot to mention my one find in the junky end that had my heart a pumpin at first- when I was just about to give up on that end of park out popped what looked like a large round copper piece- could it be a large cent...No, but it was about the same size image . I think it is some kind of case half- it is hollow on one side and might have had a pasty substance- had a hard time scraping whatever was inside it out when I got home. It does have some markings as shown in photo below- anyone have any ideas- "Princess"?- makeup or lip balm case maybe?

• Options
    maybe the case was for ....hmmmm hmmmm.....condoms?....just a guess.....better "safe" than sorry....bye
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Found a lot of those cases...it had powder or some other type of make-up in it at one time..
  • Options
    Any idea of how old?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Cosmetics compact. My wild guess? 1940s-50s, or thereabouts.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.