Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Eliezer Alfonzo, C, SF Giants, where's his cards?

The SF Giants have a 27 year old rookie catcher named Eliezer Alfonzo who's actually doing pretty good. Batting .282 with 10 hr's in 62 games with the Giants. He was called up from AA ball in June after Matheny went to the DL. He's no Piazza, but he's starting, he's got some pop in his bat and has delivered some nice key hits in his time with SF.

However, it doesn't seem that he has any non-minor league cards. In the era where guys have cards 3 or 4 years before they get called up to the majors, it seems odd that he's gone unnoticed like this. He's been wandering around in the minors since 1996. An Ebay search on his name shows only some autographed items and a few winter league cards.

Does anyone have a current Beckett Baseball Player Checklist with him in it?
My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    You going to request Player set registry for him???? image
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    ......but you are correct as he has done me more then I had expected when matheny went down in my (NL only) fantasy league

but the online rotiseree experts didn't have much to say about him when he was brought up:

The 27-year-old Alfonzo is a subpar defender, and though he's usually hit pretty well, he was at just .277/.351/.323 in 65 at-bats since a demotion to Connecticut. Before that, he hit .189 in 74 at-bats in Triple-A. He's not going to be much of a second catcher for the Giants. Jun. 2 - 9:10 pm et
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>You going to request Player set registry for him???? >>

Hey, ya gotta get in while the elevator's still on the ground floor, don'cha know! image

It just struck me as odd that in this era, there is a guy playing major league ball who doesn't have a card.

• Options
    Eliezer Alfonzo aka "Fonzie" has had great power potential for years. He has won the Venezualan Home Run Derby in 2004 and has the capability to hit 30 HR in a season. He swings and misses a bunch, but he can still hit. He turned the corner last year in San Jose class high A. He worked with Lenn Sakata and learned that his defensive skills were keeping him from being in the big leagues. The Giants may make a turn and "go young" and Alfonzo may stick around to handle some of the young pitchers that he's caught in the minors the last 2 seasons. He spent 6 years in the Marlins minor league Organization. I am sure he has a card with the Jupiter Marlins. He also has a card in the San Jose Giants team set 2005. Check it out.

-Ryan
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭

Beckett shows 14 cards, none are "major league" cards.

I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>However, it doesn't seem that he has any non-minor league cards. In the era where guys have cards 3 or 4 years before they get called up to the majors, it seems odd that he's gone unnoticed like this. He's been wandering around in the minors since 1996. An Ebay search on his name shows only some autographed items and a few winter league cards. >>

Isn't the absence of any major league-related cards due to some new rules about putting rookies on cards?? It seems like I remember reading something about that here.

Hope you find what you're looking for...
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Isn't the absence of any major league-related cards due to some new rules about putting rookies on cards?? It seems like I remember reading something about that here. >>

True, that'd explain why he doesn't have any cards for this year (yet), but he's been in professional baseball since 1996, long before the rookie card rule went into effect.