Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Neat Early Dated Silver Coin

It's already sold, but I figured some here would appreciate it.

LOWLANDS Zeeland & Limburg Marie de Bourgogne 1477-1482
AR Double Briquet 27mm 2.85g.
Brabant or Flanders mint? Dated 1478 (Early Dated coinage)

+MARIA: DEI: G': DVCISS': BG': BR: Z:LIB
Lions seated vis á vis; briquet above.
SALW: FAC: PRLM. TW. DNE. A. : 1478
Crowned arms surmounting cross fleuronée.

Frey 185 var. (legends for Brabant); v. d. Chis pl. XVIII, 3-4 VF

Choice old collection toning. Scarce variety. Excellent example with Gothic style '4' and '7' with a true 'Arabic' appearance. image
https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Cool! My earliest dated coin is 1506 (yeah, those dang Poles again!! image ).

BTW, that is one fine-looking coin you've got there.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    I beat ya Jester - my earliest coin was struck in 1355.

Bought from the King himself......Josh. image

Nice coin BTW Josh. image

( of course being Dutch I could say nothing else ) image
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is your 1355 coin DATED?

Great coin Josh.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, he bought it from Elvis...image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to inform you jester, Elvis is dead.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is your 1355 coin DATED? >>

I think the coin Marcel is talking about is his "Mouton d'or" which would not be dated. Based upon his response I assume it was a Brabant - Jeanne and Wenceslas 1355-1383. "I thought it was a French Jon Le'bon"

And it is a very nice coin !!!! and he bought it from Josh (remember the thread when he was on TV )!!!

• Options
    baddspellarbaddspellar Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    Those of you who like old dated coins might want to check out the coins of the Western Kshatrapas (circa 35 AD - 405 AD)
    I've got one at home with a readable date from the reign of Vijayasena. I don't remember the exact date off the top of my head, but it's somewhere in the 240's AD. It's got a bust of Vijayasena on the front with the date, and an image on the back.

Dates are in the Saka Era (year 1 is ~78 AD), and the dates are written in Brahmi numerals, which later evolved into the Arabic system we're familiar with, but they're honest to goodness dates that aren't difficult to read. I believe these are the earliest dated coins.

They're silver coins, and are readily available for something on the order of $20.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    You mean my dated 114 BC coin does not countimage

Nice coin josh!