Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1953 Topps Baseball Set PSA HIGH END for sale

Good day everyone,

I am selling a high end 1953 topps baseball set and i have to admit Ebay was the wrong place for it. Was looking for some advice in terms of where else might be a good outlet to sell it. I talked to alot of the big auction houses but they want to pay like 75% of SMR and many of these cards in this set blow SMR away when they sell:

Every card is graded PSA 6 or better.

I have the set listed on the PSA Set Registry - Kev's High End 1953 topps set

highlights:

Mays PSA 7
Mantle PSA 8OC ( only card with a qualifier but I have a PSA 7 on the way)
Berra PSA 8
Feller PSA 8
Spahn PSA 8
V Stephens PSA 8
Rizzuto PSA 8
Martin PSA 8
Robinson PSA 7
Paige PSA 7
Mathews PSA 7
Kiner PSA 7

lots of low pop cards. Just looking for any other alternatives in terms of where to sell this.

thank you for your time. Kevin

Comments

• 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Kevin,
    I love the 1953 set, but I had a hard time selling my set on Ebay as well. I finally sold it outside of Ebay for 80% of SMR. My set had a GPA of 5.73 which is probably much lower than yours. I would break the set up and sell them one at a time. If you don't have the time to do this, you might contact one of the board members here that is a small dealer. They would have the time to do this for you. I know SANDIEGOWILL on Ebay does this for a couple of my friends. They have been pretty pleased with their results.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Both Jay Wolt and
    Paul Moss Zardoz51 will take consignments for a reasonably small fee, and both get very strong prices. Have you tried emailing anyone on the registry that needs them?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Thank you both for your advice. My set rating is like 6.73 without the PSA 7 Mantle

I thought about selling individually and I would go that route soon because I laid out alot of decent $$$ to put this set together and truth be told my liquid cash right now is bordering on 0.

That being said I dont' want to sell it to mile high or mastro for $22K.

So I may consider talking to some of the folks you mentioned because I would like to get the ball rolling on this.

Ebay just annoys me because you have folks who think they are funny offering $10 or $100 as a best offer....

Thanks again, Kevin
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    KEVIN - When listing it on eBay (If you go that route)
    do not use the "best offer" option. I never use it
    although I do get a few buyers that would like an
    item at a lower price.
    Just place the price that you want as the Buy It Now
    price or the opening bid and see what happens...jay
    I agree with Jay- the best offer just tells people to low ball you. If you don't have it you'll still get offers, but in my experience they've been a lot more reasonable. A few have told me why the offer was fair, and backed it up with realized sales.
    Best of luck selling off your set.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• thanks you both for your advice. YOur points are valid, it's almost like you are asking for low ball offers. I will probably relist this weekend once I get the PSA 7 Mantle that I purchased.
    And will let the cards fall where they may.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Also, Mastro may not charge you the 15% fee and just get the juice from the buyer on a high dollar item like that.
    the absolute best they would do on a set like that is 5% sellers commission, plus they'd get the 17.5% from the buyer.
    Goodwin does 0% from the seller.

Kevin,
    I have a pretty good relationship with Brian Drent at Mile High. If money was tight right now I could ask him to give you an advance on the item and then auction the set off in the next auction. Just another option for you to think about. Let's say that the set is worth $14K. You would definately get that in just about any auction house that you listed it with. Perhaps he would advance you half of the money on this?

Shane
  • Thanks Shane for that offer. It is something I will definitely consider. Mile high offered to buy the set outright for 75% of SMR which woudl have been like $22K which is severely low. I am pretty confident if it got in their next auction it would do well. What types of consignment fees do they get? I checked in with Mastro and they want 15% which is too high and I was not overly impressed with alot of the final prices they got on their last auctions with 53s.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    heck,

why not price the cards out and list them here?

no fees here and you're relatively safe in assuming no hassles as well.
  • not a bad idea at all. As soon as I get the Mantle PSA 7, I will figure out what's next. My biggest reservation with sending stuff to the consignors...is well simply that just letting the set leave my hand, call it paranoia or what I just don't feel comfortable with that one bit...
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    well if you decide to do it on here you'll certainly want to enable your Private Messages (PM's). Go to PROFILE and scroll down and find that option.

when I sell stuff on here I usually figure out roughly what I'd get on Feebay for it and knock a little bit off and arrive at a Non Paypal price (that 3% adds up) where both of us are happy.
    Kevin,
    If you would like to discuss auctioning this off with Mile High please email me directly at shaneleo@aol.com. I have spoken to Brian about this and I can tell you what he can do for you.

Shane