Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Methinks NGC's current turnaround times are off...

According to NGC's web site, the current turnaround time for value world submissions is 10 working days.

Mkay, so they logged my shipment in on August 17. Not including that day, today is the 8th working day and the order is still showing as "Received." Hasn't even been scheduled for grading yet.

If they're going to bother to state "current turnaround times" as opposed to advertised ones, they could at least be somewhat accurate with them. image

*grumble*

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a submission arrive on Aug 19th and it still isn't in the system.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Must be your Maundies ajaan. image
  • Options
    They are my Maundy coins. Along with the raw coins I sent in 4 NGC slabbed Maundy coins to reholder in the multi-coin holder. This has been done.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, this is a nube question and I hope not too forward or crass, but what do you guys pay for grading, and how does an ordinary collector duck the full 30 dollar or so hit for a submission?

And on that vein, how much do they charge for a set such as Maundy when done as a set in one slab?

It seems that there are such high charges for the ordinary collector that unless it is a very high priced coin that it really is not worthwhile. I buy based on appearance so take the grade with a grain of salt but am not especially prejudicial to them.

Maybe not funny and not an indictment but I gave an 1839 trial half sov. in silver to PCGS and it came back certified as a proof 1830 SIXPENCE despite a totally different design and appearance; they did reholder it at my behest eventually with the usual lags.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Oops, I meant pattern not trial.
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Sent two submissions on Aug 7. Single coins already back. No news on the multi-holders.

7Jaguars, if you have an account with ebay, you can complete an invoice online and get a 10% discount. For coins valued under $300, cost is less than $20. Go to this link and click on the NGC logo. I don't know if PCGS offers a discount. You're correct in saying that the higher the value, the more certification makes sense. However, some people slab their coins for other reasons (protection, registry, re-sale, etc). Cost per coin is the same whether put in a single slab or a multi-holder. Hope this helps. image
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    I had five 'standard world submissions' go in, and they sat as 'received' for like 8 days or so. They went to the grading and quality control in a single day though. I think they had a bottleneck to work through and once they did, it went quickly. Personally, I like NGC because of their customer service, quality of slab and respect from people in the industry. The lack of customer service is why I don't go with PCGS.

Doug
  • Options

<< <i>I had five 'standard world submissions' go in, and they sat as 'received' for like 8 days or so. They went to the grading and quality control in a single day though. I think they had a bottleneck to work through and once they did, it went quickly. Personally, I like NGC because of their customer service, quality of slab and respect from people in the industry. The lack of customer service is why I don't go with PCGS. >>

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭

<< <i>but I gave an 1839 trial half sov. in silver to PCGS and it came back certified as a proof 1830 SIXPENCE >>

Monarchies escape them.

A pattern half sov. in silver....image I'll pay you 100x melt. imageimage

Images?
  • Options
    I'll pay 102x melt.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if you can you hand deliver coins to NGC at their office in Sarasota.
  • Options
    Well, I might have to decline since there are two known of the '39 1/2 sov. pattern. I think the other was Norweb Lot #1075 or thereabouts. Actually wonder what the market would allow for on that these days, esp. over in London at Coinex.

You might get a better deal on MS70 First Strike American Eagles!!! Or maybe not.
  • Options

FYI. Got the multi-holders back a few days later. Took about a month.

2751270-(001-002):
    1947S Philippine 50C Macarthur MS65
    1947S Philippine Peso Macarthur MS65
    2751270-(003-004):
    1976 Philippine 1500P IMF Meeting MS68
    1976 Philippine 1500P IMF Meeting PF66
    2751270-(005-007):
    1974 Philippine 25S PF68 Cameo
    1974 Philippine 50S PF68
    1974 Philippine Piso PF68 Cameo
    2751270-(008-010): Philippines Leyte Gulf Landings Set
    1994 Philippine 5P MS66
    1994 Philippine 100P MS68 Ultra
    1994 Philippine 500P MS68 Ultra
    1994 Philippine 1000P MS68 Ultra
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Do the multi-holders usually take longer? I just received my first one and it took two weeks longer to grade than the other submission I sent at the same time.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Actually wonder what the market would allow for on that these days, esp. over in London at Coinex.

7Jaguars, I'm planning on being at Coinex this year, maybe we should PM each other if you intend to go as well.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone know if you can you hand deliver coins to NGC at their office in Sarasota. >>

Policy Change Regarding In-Office Drop Off and Pick Up at NGC, CGC, PMG and NCS
    Posted at 12/28/2005 11:37:47 AM

As of January 1, 2006 the option to drop off and/or pick up submissions at the Sarasota offices will be discontinued for non-dealers and submitters through any of our affiliates.

We regret the inconvenience to our customers however, in the interest of security, this policy change is necessary.