Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

T206 Graham St. Louis, what would you set reserve at?

I have a T206 Graham St Louis, that is a PSA 8, that i'm going to be listing on ebay, just curious what anyone thinks reserve should be set at? There are six total 8's. no 9's.

Comments

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Reserves are bid killers. Let it ride. Or, with a card like that, you might want to consign it to a major house.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    the smr is $750+, so who knows, i've been watching lately and alot of the 8's on there seem to be going more for like $1500 or so, I haven't ever had anything on ebay that is in that ballfield as far as money, would paypal be the only way to go with this? or best way anyway?
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    .........agrees that for an item such as this you will not need a reserve....it will price itself.....
    Spend the time and effort to put up a nice listing with good clear scans.....................................................I assume your ebay feedback is up to snuff.......

any form of payment shoud do......wait untill the check or money order clears........................Ship USPS insured with signature confirmation....or even registered mail.

Good luck....
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    ever throw raw meat into a cage of hungry tigers image
  • Options
    well i've seen a couple of other 8's lately on ebay that were the same priced SMR, and they go for $1500-2000, not sure why, or if its just a couple idiots that keep outbidding each other and then get took on the deals, I'd be happy as a pig in mud for mine to go $2000 LOL
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.........agrees that for an item such as this you will not need a reserve....it will price itself.....
    Spend the time and effort to put up a nice listing with good clear scans.....................................................I assume your ebay feedback is up to snuff.......

any form of payment shoud do......wait untill the check or money order clears........................Ship USPS insured with signature confirmation....or even registered mail.

Good luck.... >>

Well I'm not so sure about the Feedback.

• Options
    whats wrong with my feedback?
  • Options

<< <i>whats wrong with my feedback? >>

...not enough............Many potential bidders will take that into account.....................................

....Get someone with MUCH more feedback to sell for you....

• Options
    i guess....yes i dont have 1500 feedbacks...but i'm a married man with with three kids, one under one, and have a fulltime job, do this as a hobby.....the feedback is 100%, and the cards i've sold i leave feedback as soon as i get the payment, so i dont know, if someone just wants to buy from a fulltime dealer that has 2000 feedbacks, and may or may not leave you one, then so be it, i'm also just selling PSA graded cards, which can be verified with the serial number, but oh well, guess i'll stick a reserve on it
  • Options
    That is plenty of feedback if you ask me. Especially for selling slabbed cards.
  • Options
    you may be sacrficing a potentially bigger payday, as lostdart pointed out.....it has nothing to do w/being a trustworthy family man.....many eBayers will simply not purchase from someone who has low feedback as their own standard practice.....i will tell you from my recent experience that i listed a T206 Cy Young in lower grade and used the guide to set my reserve.....it sold for double that

there ya go
  • Options
    Dude,

Reserve still will cost you. some bidders.........being a married man with 3 kids tells me that you want to MAXIMIZE your profits................

I bet someone here will PM you and volanteer to sell item for you....for free ..........take them on their offer.....( unless it is from me image )

once again ...good luck...........

jami

• Options
    are there sellers on ebay that dont want to maximize their profits?bbb
  • Options

<< <i>are there sellers on ebay that dont want to maximize their profits?bbb >>

yes and Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny could prolly explain why
  • Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    I say just list it, I'm sure you'll do fine. Offer to send registered mail, that is the safest method and it's affordable. Always except all forms of payment, that will also help bring in all bidders. A card like that does not need a reserve, it should bring over $1000 without any problem.

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• Options
    sell it yourself. Why bring in a middle man. You can do this easy. Just make sure you take elite pictures.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i guess....yes i dont have 1500 feedbacks...but i'm a married man with with three kids, one under one, and have a fulltime job, do this as a hobby.....the feedback is 100%, and the cards i've sold i leave feedback as soon as i get the payment, so i dont know, if someone just wants to buy from a fulltime dealer that has 2000 feedbacks, and may or may not leave you one, then so be it, i'm also just selling PSA graded cards, which can be verified with the serial number, but oh well, guess i'll stick a reserve on it >>

I hate reserve auctions, and many people do. However, it may help if you state in your description what the reserve is. Additionally, if you want to help bidders get more comfortable, you could state that in-person delivery is available in X city or make an escrow option available. I've never used one, and I'd bet your bidders won't want to here, but just knowing it's an option may make them feel better. You may also think about watermarking your scan. That shows that you're aware that others could steal the scan and use it for future scans, which is a sign of a responsible seller.

I'd also highly recommend a large, clear scan of both front and back. I think someone could make money buying cards with crappy scans and reselling them with nice ones. I'm sure we'd love to see that scan. Got one?

Good luck,

AJW.
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Jami (lostdart) is right in this case Asphaltman. I've had to sell many items for friends because of their feedback. It's not that you have bad feedback, it's the limited amount of feedback (no matter what the reason) that will scare off a few bidders. Especially when it's at least $1000 that you are putting on the line for this type of card. I would list it for you (800+ feedback) for 5% (which will cover the fees involved of both eBay and PayPal) if you'd like. I can't do it for free because I'm a married man with two kids and one of them under two image

Maybe someone else could step up and help you with this one though.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    No reserve. Start auction at $.01 your item is popular and to valueable to go underbidded. If this were unslabbed you'd be in a different situation.
  • Options
    I havent taken pictures yet, am waiting on some other cards to get back to me first from PSA, so probably will be next week before I list it, however, will give me a reason to use the freaking $600 camera I had to buy my wife
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    My two cents: Here's what I see in the feedback:

1. Only 3 or 4 from buyers.
    2. All cards sold have been T206 (good) but mid grade or raw (not good).
    3. You recently got dupped on some fake cards.

This doesn't make me feel confident that you are offering an authentically rare high demand item. I'm sure you are, but you're trying to find a vast market and I think your savvy buyers might balk at throwing high dollars at this item, especially if you don't offer paypal.

All of the above, coupled with a reserve - I think the big players will back off and wait for you to remove the reserve and make it a real auction, set a lower opening bid and get more experience/credibility.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    you should practice with the camera. Pictures are important. They give a sense of professionalism if done right. ALso it is best to sell a multiple amount of items. This will cause cross marketing as people will view your othe auctions if they can save on shipping.
  • Options
    If your not accepting paypal than yes feedback needs to be rock solid for best conditions. I'd get a paypal account if I were you.
  • Options
    I do offer paypal, prefer it
  • Options
    Then you are ready to launch.
  • Options
    also, the one bid retraction it says i have....i wish i'd have done differently, but it was for the T206 Carlos Smith SLeaguer, I had placed a bid, and then decided to ask the seller if he'd do a buy it now, and he decided he would, but I had to retract my bid for him to then put up the but it now
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I havent taken pictures yet, am waiting on some other cards to get back to me first from PSA, so probably will be next week before I list it, however, will give me a reason to use the freaking $600 camera I had to buy my wife >>

DON'T REPEAT DON'T use your digital camera for an item like this.

Find someone, anyone who has a scanner and get the card properly scanned, or better yet go out and buy one (will set you back less than $70 if you shop around.

Digital pics don't do justice to cards - it just won't be as sharp and as detailed as a scan - and a nice scan will induce the Pavlov effect (drooling) leading to higher bids.
  • Options
    You can use a camera. You need to turn up your pixels and select portrait mode to pick up fine detail. Camera is a good tool. Just read the direction book first =)
  • Options
    I will probably start the auction at a penny, for five days, see what happens, if i get lowballed on final bid on this one, i'll know better next time, like i'll actually ever have an 8 to sell again....lol
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Digital pics don't do justice to cards - it just won't be as sharp and as detailed as a scan - and a nice scan will induce the Pavlov effect (drooling) leading to higher bids. >>

Strongly disagree. My images look better than any scans, and I had a top of the line flatbed scanner that I dumped in favor of shooting copy shots.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I will probably start the auction at a penny, for five days, see what happens, if i get lowballed on final bid on this one, i'll know better next time, like i'll actually ever have an 8 to sell again....lol >>

Would 7 days be better??
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    assume you emailed everyone on the registry for private offers?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    No, I haven't emailed anyone here for private offers, and wasn't trying to advertise for that, I wouldnt do so anyway, card isn't in front of me, I dont have serial number in front of me, etc. I kind of enjoy the process of putting it on ebay anyway I think, not saying I wouldnt listen to offers, but wouldnt decide anything til next week anyway, and only after I can provide the serial number, and probably a dated picture with the card, and evidence I have it.
  • Options
    ....7 days for sure.....

• Options
    according to vintagecardprices.com, a Bill Graham PSA 8 was auctioned off twice on ebay in the past several months. One went for 2275 and the other went for 2126.

hope that helps.
  • Options
    thats good to know, although guessing they may have been rare backs. mine is sweet corporal
  • Options
    according to vintagecardprices.com, the cards sold have a common back...defined as American Beauty, EPDG, Old Mill, Piedmont, Polar Bear, Sovereign, Tolstoi and Sweet Caporal. Tougher backs for this card are broadleaf, carolina brights, cycle and drum.

Dont gauge your price on SMR. SMR is WAAAAAYYYY off on prices for pre war cards...especially for high grade examples. Use market value based on realized prices on auctions as your gauge. do a search on PSA 8 T206 cards (any common) on ebay, lelands, mastro and other auctions to see realized prices.

i wouldnt reserve it. i would let it go....a PSA 8 T206 will no doubt bring in good coin.
  • Options
    hmm, well will be interesting, had someone email me this morning offering $1250, if I provided the pics
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    I couldn't help but notice your other threads asking for opinions on tobacco cards, but I'm curious as to how you came across this PSA 8 specimen. Did you buy it raw and it graded out to an 8?

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    no, not that lucky, it was inherited from a relative, the day I pull a raw t206 card off ebay and it grades an 8, pigs will fly.
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Wow, that's pretty good. Did you inherit it raw or did you slab it yourself? and what other cards did you get?

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    i inherited it already slabbed, was only 2 others, both t205's, PSA 5 Mordecai Brown and PSA 5 Zach Wheat
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    you should cosign it to a dealer ...Jay Wolf is from the boards and he does a fantastic job.

Believe me people feel more comfortable buying from big sellers. They also handle everything and all you do is get a check, no hassles.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    You can't do any better than Jay Wolt. Good luck.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."