Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Japanese 1 Yen Silver Dollar, Real or Fake???

Hello I am new to this forum and I just bought 3 1 yen silver coins and I was wondering if the coins that I bought are real? I have been combing the internet but couldnt find any good pictures to compare my coins to. You're help would be much appreciated, thank you everyone.

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not an expert on these, but posting the weight would help establishing authenticity for those folks that are image
  • Options
    All three are Y#A25.3, should weigh 26.9568g and measure 38.1mm. Both characteristics are essential as known counterfeits and replicas range from 22.5-28g, and 38.0-38.6mm; and genuine coins of some other years are 38.6mm..

Upper left - dated Meiji 36 (1903), value $15 F to $140 Unc.

Upper right - dated Meiji 28 (1895), value $15 F to $140 Unc.

Bottom - date Meiji 25 (1892), type 2 with the flame overlapping the third spine on the dragon's back. This is the more common variety, valued at $20 F through $210 Unc. Type 1, with the flame extending between the fourth and fifth spines is valued at $100-1,350, but is seldom seen at less than 150% of Krause.

None of them show the typical characteristics of the modern Chinese fakes but I would be very hesitant to authenticate any of the several varieties minted between 1867 and 1914 without seeing it in hand, due to the tremendous number of contemporary counterfeits that circulated along side the genuine coins throughout Asia, and the high quality reproductions which have sporadically appeared.
    Roy

• Options
    Thank you so much for you response regarding these, the only question I had was when I was looking at the coins was that the upper left veresion (shinny one) has a different skinny dragon tail that extends through the spike and the other 2 have fat dragon tail that stop at the spike at the end.

What grade do you think these coins are, although fairly subjective, I would like your opinions.
    I don't know much about these things since I just started collecting coins, so I wanted to ask. Thank You and I will weigh these when they come in the mail later this week.
  • Options
    The top left weighs in at 26.56 and the bottom weighs in at 26.21 grams

Thanks
  • Options

<< <i>The top left weighs in at 26.56 >>

- Possibly genuine - depends on how accurate your scale is. The Japan Mint was pretty careful about weight.

<< <i> and the bottom weighs in at 26.21 grams >>

- Too light IMHO, unless your scale is way off.

How about the diameters?
    Roy