Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OC Qualifier = Minus Two (2) Grades? Not In This Case...

I think I read on more than one occasion that in terms of pricing and grading an OC qualifier
reduces a card down by two (2) grades, e.g. PSA 9 (OC) = PSA 7 or a PSA 8 (OC) = PSA 6.
With that in mind, I'm sure some of you have seen the 1955 Topps Roberto Clemente PSA 9 (OC)
that is currently on ebay.

1955 Topps Roberto Clemente PSA 9 (OC)

When I first saw this card, I thought to myself, "it's a PSA 9," but it has that murderous OC
qualifier. Next I thought that not only is it OC, but it's REALLY OC. I then cracked out my SMR
and saw that a PSA 9 goes for $18,000.00, a PSA 8 goes for $4,600.00 and a PSA 7 goes for
$1,900.00. Now about that two (2) grade reduction, I thought it would be around $2,000.00 to
$3,000.00. We'll, the auction has a little less than three (3) hours to go and it's at $7,100.00.
So in this case, the OC qualifier didn't even reduce it down by a SINGLE grade, more like a PSA
8.5 if the grade existed. Amazing.

I have to admit, I would really take a PSA 8 with no qualifiers (which I would imagine would be
priced around $5,000.00 to $6,500.00), than the PSA 9 OC. Any thoughts?

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• Options
    With high end star cards and rookies...the minus 2 grades doesn't always stick.

If this card is sharp as a tack...no doubt it will resurface in the near future in a GAI holder...or SGC...

It will get sent to a company that doesn't add the OC to the tag...

My guess...someone's hoping for a SGC 96....or a GAI 9.5..even if it comes back as a GAI 9...it still to some looks better than that OC staring at you.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    The qualifiers were designed to weight and adjust
    the registry. They were never said by PSA to call for an
    exact "2 grade deduction in pricing."

Collectors have, wrongly IMO, decided that the registry
    deductions should be transposed onto pricing.

Eye appeal is the deciding factor in the pricing of OC cards.
    (Sadly, almost nobody agrees with me.)

storm image
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    this whole thing seems wrapped in stinky.....on the surface, by looking at history for the top two bidders AND the seller, none of these individuals has ANY experience dealing with a card of this magnitude.....trying to inflate the value, perhaps? to lure someone else in? JMO
  • Options
    The joycie01 bidder is the real deal.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>The joycie01 bidder is the real deal.

imageimageimage >>

yeah, i thot i recognized the name from another "OMG Look At The $ So & So Is Bidding" threads.....that being said, what about the other 2 players, still expressing my doubts about the whole affair.....
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>this whole thing seems wrapped in stinky.....on the surface, by looking at history for the top two bidders AND the seller, none of these individuals has ANY experience dealing with a card of this magnitude.....trying to inflate the value, perhaps? to lure someone else in? JMO >>

You beat me to it. I have serious doubts too, mainly because the card is just not worth that much with that type of centering.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a much nicer PSA 7 for $1750 not too long ago. Anyone who wants to pay over $7000 for an off-center diamond cut, be my guest.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    Looks like its being shilled, but I am not certain.

The suspect is playing way outside of her categories.

I wish there was a way to rescue joyce, but there is not.

If that card walked into a shop, the dealer would want
    to steal it for about $500, but I doubt he would pay $1K
    for it.

If the seller was legit, I suspect the $7K would have done
    the trick. I could be way wrong, but I do not think so.

It is a barker. Not room on the flip for all the Qs.

storm