Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Still worth sending in???

Greetings all,

Thank you again for the warm welcome last week.

I was going to dig for one of my favorite sets but since I am in the direct path of the storm (Ernesto) I figured I better not go crazy unpacking just yet. These cards have not been touched for more than 15 years and I do not want anything to happen to them now. 69 Topps are the easiest to get to so they win the cigar. Being new to grading I already have my first question. I noticed one of my Mantle cards are off center. Is it still worth grading when it is like this? Also since I have a dozen freebies to start off with which 12 cards would you guys choose first from the 69 Topps set? 2 scans below:

Rob
Always looking for interesting Don Mattingly and New York Yankees related items.

Comments

• Options
    Definately worth grading for authentication purposes.
  • Options

<< <i>Definately worth grading for authentication purposes. >>

Is that how the market is now? You have to have it graded no matter what or everyone will believe it was altered when I sell it? I opened the pack myself years back but I guess my word is worth nothing since I am currently an unknown.
    Always looking for interesting Don Mattingly and New York Yankees related items.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob, If your intentions are to sell that Mantle down the road, I would have it graded. Not just for the authentication but for the premium that PSA cards bring vs. raw.
  • Options
    Was it hermetically sealed for the past 30+ years? Those edges sure are white.

No offense NYYDM23 and I'll be the first to admit that when it comes to who knows there stuff on this board I'm so far down you can even see me, but ... I wouldn't touch this card with a 10 foot pole for authentication purposes. It looks way too clean. Send it to PSA for reasons mentioned above.

Good luck.

Arthur
  • Options
    Arthur,

It has been stored in a nine pocket page since I pulled it from the pack. It was in there so long I had to give it a tug because it was stuck. All of my 69 Topps cards are that clean. 1969 was one of the years my uncle and I bought by the box back in the mid 80s. We wanted quality so we ripped liked nobody’s business. As another example here are two Bowman cards. One pulled from a pack and one that was bought secondhand. I am sure the pack fresh card speaks for itself. I hope my duplicates bring good money because I want to finish some of my 50s sets.

Rob

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    a nice mantle card there! I would also have it graded.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    absolutely....looks great
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    Absolutely I would. Of course I was excited that I got that cards Topps reprint in the mail a couple of days ago! You have some beauts right there.

BTW, if you have any Mantle dupes that aren't in that beautiful of condition from his playing days; plmk. I'm a Mick fan on a Bernie budget but I'm a buyer. Thanks!!

A good storing option for both slabbed and cards in topholders/cardsavers are military ammo boxes. Usually can be had for 5 bucks or so and they are waterproof and corrosion resistant. Just throw in a packet or two of Silica gel and your good to go. Hope you and yours are okay through Ernesto, my brother lives near Tampa so yeah I understand the feeling.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob,

I'd definitely submit the Bowmans. They look fantastic! The Hatten may have a touch in the upper left corner looking at the scan but it should still get a 7 minimum. The Mantle would likely get a 6 or 7 (depending on centering since I didn't measure it).

In deciding what to submit, that's a call everyone has to make for themselves. I like to have the high dollar cards slabbed so I keep my grubby hands off them. image If your purpose it to resell, submitting the high grade cards is definitely wise. Pay particular attention to the low pop cards. Depending on the year, even PSA 7's can garner a high premium if the card is tough. If you're going to hold on to the cards, it becomes a decision on how much you want to invest in grading. I personally like how graded cards display and I don't have to worry so much about them getting damaged over time. I care for my cards well but you never know when an accident can happen such as dropping a box or binder of cards.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    .....always get your Mantles graded............good , bad, or indifferent
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.....always get your Mantles graded............good , bad, or indifferent >>

Thats it in a nut shell Rob. Ive had Mantles graded that I knew were 1s or 2s. Slab the Commerce Comet!