Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1982 or 1983 Topps BB Set Poll

I know a lot of you do not do what is considered modern, but out of these two set, which one would you collect??

Comments

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    83 more rookies, and 2nd year cards of rookies in 82. I like the design better as well.
  • Options
    DerekDDerekD Posts: 388 ✭✭
    1983. I like the card design and photos way better. And you get a bonus picture on every card. image

DD
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Given the choice, I would have to go with the '83s.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    probably '83 as well here. i think 82 would be tough. from what i remember there were lots of smudges on the cards. but i also have a few 83 that have print bleeds as well.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I thought the '82 were a softer card with dull printing. By contract the '83s were bright and crisp and the inset photo was a very nice addition. The '82s "In Action" had some nice cards, I was always pumped as an 11 year old finding those in packs. Too bad I traded several Ripkens for Hrbeks back then. image
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    82 is an outstanding set however potential market value should be with the 83 set although not by too much.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    I've done both raw and they look great binders. I would say the '83 might do better in the long run because of the rookie crop but their seems to be a much more '83 product available as well. It will be some time before either product dries up enough to get a good feel for the investment quality of either set.

That being said I have recently ripped a rack box of each, pulled about 20 to be graded and also pulled most of the stars. If anybody wants the commons and minor stars for the price of shipping let me know. I'm sure there are some gems since I don't grade commons.

Shannon
    shambo2000
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Depends what your reasoning for the set is.

Yes, the 83 set has Gwynn, Boggs, and Sandberg rookies, but these cards are so plentiful there isn't much value left to milk out of them.

The 82, on the other hand, has a fabulous set design and much, much better photography and action shots in my opinion.

• Options
    An '82 master set (with the 'blackless' variations) would be an incredible feat to accomplish.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Wow, a master set of Blackless would certainly be impressive....I wasn't thinking about that.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I would also go with the 83 a much better looking design and better colors.
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    sagard i know your pain!
    Bob
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    '83 hands down. Most of the '82 photos are grainy and the framing design is just too distracting. I'm not an expert, but the card stock for '82 seemed dismal too. I don't think Topps took the competition seriously until the '90s.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Finding sharp colorful 82's is not easy to do, however the chase is what makes collecting exciting and with patience and a few bucks it can be done. I finally took the time to add some scans to my 82 Registry set
    (I apologize for my lack of skill with scanners/computers in general) and put up a few pics of some stars, some cards I feel are tough to find in high grade and also some commons to mix it up. I'll add more as time permits.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would go with the 83 set as well. I have a raw 82 set that I went through a couple of years ago to see if I should submit any. They were ugly! OC on alot of them. Quite a few of the cards came right from the packs too.
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    I bought tons of 1982 as a youngster, and from the get-go the design never grabbed me very well. I was so disappointed with 1979 that I didn't buy much product that year. It seemed to me that the photo quality or print quality on the photos just didn't seem that crisp.

1983 has a nicer selection of rookies.

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    82' seems to present more of a challenge. For 80's sets that seems to be important considering that material is plentiful.

Axtell - That's a great Rickey!
    RayB
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    I prefer the design of 1982.

-Ian